• Size discrepancy in directories

From jdcs@arcor.de@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 14 11:57:50 2019
    On an ISeries with V7R3M0, percentage of system ASP used went up from 45 % to 73 % in a few weeks. According to DSKINF (RTV and then PRT), this seems to be due to a much higher percentage used for user directories (no change with the database in user
    libraries). As I don't know of any major change in utilisation, I checked some directories both with WRKLNK (options 5 and 8) and with DIRINF (RTV and PRT). To my surprise, I found some discrepancies I couldn't explain. One directory, to give just one
    example, had no objects shown with option 5 as well with PRTDIRINF but option 8 in WRKLNK showed a size of 12853248 bytes whereas PRTDIRINF had a size of 0.00 MB. Any clues would be very appreciated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jonathan Bailey@21:1/5 to jd...@arcor.de on Wed Oct 16 05:17:34 2019
    You are definitely authorised to these dirs?
    What happens to a new dir if you add thousands of objects then delete them? I would expect it to shrink again. If not RCLSTG has the *DIR option which might work. An empty dir is normally somewhere from 4 16 kB, I dont remember.

On Monday, 14 October 2019 19:57:52 UTC+1, jd...@arcor.de wrote:
    On an ISeries with V7R3M0, percentage of system ASP used went up from 45 % to 73 % in a few weeks. According to DSKINF (RTV and then PRT), this seems to be due to a much higher percentage used for user directories (no change with the database in user
    libraries). As I don't know of any major change in utilisation, I checked some directories both with WRKLNK (options 5 and 8) and with DIRINF (RTV and PRT). To my surprise, I found some discrepancies I couldn't explain. One directory, to give just one
    example, had no objects shown with option 5 as well with PRTDIRINF but option 8 in WRKLNK showed a size of 12853248 bytes whereas PRTDIRINF had a size of 0.00 MB. Any clues would be very appreciated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jdcs@arcor.de@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 17 01:25:26 2019
    Problem has been solved (kind of). There were some huge files from sql logs with their actual size NOT shown with option 8 in WRKLNK. After removal, the system ASP went up to its expected size. Which of course doesn't solve the problem of the discrepancy.
    But I can live with that.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05