• DeskWatcher

From Thomas Milius@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 4 16:47:11 2020
    After around 4 months of work I am pleased to announce my first commercial application for RISC OS.

DeskWatcher costs 58 EUR incl. MWst (16%) in the Federal Republic of
    Germany (until 31 Dec 2020 afterwards MWst is changing back to 19% again).

I shall evaluate how to distribute the program in UK. However the coming
    Brexit isn't making this evaluation easier. But it shouldn't be a problem
    to distribute test versions of DeskWatcher which are free of charge and valid for 14 days. Of course I hope that the general Corona-situation improves and that I am able to demonstrate the program on a RISC OS show in UK next year.

You can obtained detailed information about DeskWatcher from the homepage
    of my company

http://www.stader-softwareentwicklung-gmbh.com.de/indexE.htm

or the German version

http://www.stader-softwareentwicklung-gmbh.com.de/index.htm

section RISC OS Software

There you can also download the manual.

What is DeskWatcher doing?

DeskWatcher is a screen sharing program. This means that with DeskWatcher you can show the content of the screen of a RISC OS based computer on another
    RISC OS based computer by making usage of a network connection and if necessary, you can take control of mouse and keyboard on the distant computer for a while.

DeskWatcher tries to reduce the workload on the network as much as possible
    by capturing various central RISC OS screen output system calls on the server computer and passing them on to the client computer. There they are run
    inside a separate window which emulates a screen. This method has advantages but also disadvantages. As a disadvantage text can be only displayed in a correct way if the client computer has the same fonts as the server computer. Additionally, there are some programs which are writing directly into the screen memory bypassing RISC OS. Therefore, DeskWatcher offers the option to transfer parts of the screen content from server computer to the client computer too. You are able to configure this for every program and even every window separately.

DeskWatcher can be used if accordingly installed and configured already from start of the server computer onwards during the so called PreWimp phase of
    RISC OS even there is a small technical gap at the switching to the Wimp.

DeskWatcher allows several clients to connect to the same server computer at the same time in parallel. Technically the number of connections is only limited by the processing power of the server computer and the network capacities. Connections can be controlled by assignment of usernames and passwords with related rights. Only one person can control mouse and keyboard of the server computer at one time. The person in front of the server
    computer is thereby handled in a preferred way. Requests from users of the client computers to take over the control can be rejected by enquiry.

In addition DeskWatcher offers the possibility to record the screen
    activities on the server computer in files and to play back them later in a nearly real time simulation in the DeskWatcher client program.

Thanks to Herbert zur Nedden, Raik Fischer and Anton Reiser for helping me preparing and testing DeskWatcher.

In case you have questions about the program please contact me by e-mail:

Verwaltung@stader-softwareentwicklung-gmbh.com.de

I wish you all a happy Corona free Advent season!

Best Regards

Thomas Milius

_______________________________________________________________ a.m.conroy@argonet.co.uk, Moderator of comp.sys.acorn.announce.
    Submissions to csaa@owlart.net
    Related mail to csaa-request@owlart.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)