• 11/34 problem

From joe meyer@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 7 21:22:15 2019
    Hello all:

Been working n a 11/34 and cannot seem to get it to boot a OS.

XXDP will load and run but will not pass the traps test "FKAB??" or one of the memory management tests "FKTG??". the traps test halts at address 40. and the memory test dies also.

I have replaced the cpu board set and eliminated almost all of the other boards. I did not swap out the display board , it seens to work fine and all other diagnostic run fine.

could it be the backplane? or maybe a interrupt from some odd place?

thanks
    Joe Meyer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From joe meyer@21:1/5 to joe meyer on Sat Jun 8 21:16:18 2019
    On Friday, June 7, 2019 at 11:22:16 PM UTC-5, joe meyer wrote:
    Hello all:

XXDP will load and run but will not pass the traps test "FKAB??" or one of the memory management tests "FKTG??". the traps test halts at address 40. and the memory test dies also.

I have replaced the cpu board set and eliminated almost all of the other boards. I did not swap out the display board , it seens to work fine and all other diagnostic run fine.

thanks
    Joe Meyer
    I got it figured out.

bad switch on the dl11-w set interrupt to incorrect vector causing the trap.

fixed the switch and she boots rt11 ad rsx11 like a champ.

Off to do sysgens

Joe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Koehler@21:1/5 to joe meyer on Fri Jun 14 09:00:43 2019
    In article <d5f78b28-60da-45fc-96e0-5de42ca85531@googlegroups.com>, joe meyer <joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com> writes:
    Hello all:

UNIBUS is not easy to configure. Very good possibility that
    something is at the wrong address.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joe meyer@21:1/5 to Bob Koehler on Fri Jun 14 08:32:10 2019
    On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:00:41 AM UTC-5, Bob Koehler wrote:
    In article <d5f78b28-60da-45fc-96e0-5de42ca85531@googlegroups.com>, joe meyer <joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com> writes:
    Hello all:

Bob:

Thanks for the reply. I got it and you were correct the interrupt vector was incorrect due to a bad switch on the dl11-w. now all seem to boot and run all the tests fine.

I am having a bit of trouble with a rsx11 system generation though.

I can generate a system and it will run under simh but when I migrate it over to the real disk on my 11/34 then it will appear to boot and give a signon message and then it stops. a carrage return will echo back and a control c will give the mcr prompt
    but that is all. does rsx11m v4.6 support the 11/34 hardware?

Thanks again to all:
    Joe Meyer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lee Gleason@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 14 11:58:59 2019
    "joe meyer" wrote in message news:63260a17-156c-4162-b256-618af3c410ce@googlegroups.com...

does rsx11m v4.6 support the 11/34 hardware?

Are we talking RSX11M or RSX11M-Plus here? The RSX11M-Plus SPD lists the below as supported processors, and doesn't include the 11/34. RSX11M (not
    Plus) is supported on the 11/34.

PDP-11 /23-PLUS, PDP-11/24, PDP-11/44, PDP-11/70, PDP-11/84, PDP-11/94, Micro/PDP-11/23, Micro/PDP-11/53, Micro/PDP-11/53 PLUS, Micro/PDP-11 /73,

Although it is not supported, I recall reading in an old copy of the MultiTasker that you could generate an 18 bit non I&D RSX11M-Plus system and run it on an old 18 bit system, but it's reported that you'll be pretty
    tight on memory.

--
    Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
    Control-G Consultants
    lee.gleason@comcast.net

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From ggroups@chrisjdoran.plus.com@21:1/5 to joe meyer on Thu Jul 11 12:59:10 2019
    On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 4:32:11 PM UTC+1, joe meyer wrote:
    On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 8:00:41 AM UTC-5, Bob Koehler wrote:
    Hello all:

Bob:

Thanks for the reply. I got it and you were correct the interrupt vector was incorrect due to a bad switch on the dl11-w. now all seem to boot and run all the tests fine.

I am having a bit of trouble with a rsx11 system generation though.

I can generate a system and it will run under simh but when I migrate it over to the real disk on my 11/34 then it will appear to boot and give a signon message and then it stops. a carrage return will echo back and a control c will give the mcr prompt
    but that is all. does rsx11m v4.6 support the 11/34 hardware?

Thanks again to all:
    Joe Meyer

I've only just seen this old post and hope you've fixed it by now, but in case not, as you've had trouble with dl11-w switches, make sure its clock is really turned on.

I recollect an occasion when a DEC field servant accidentally left it off and beat a hasty retreat leaving me to boot up with symptoms that sound familiar. I only realised what the problem was when I noticed that the clock wasn't ticking on a task monitor I had set to autostart.

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05