• TU80 Tape Drive - FREE!

From Paul Amaranth@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 12 16:59:59 2019
    I'm moving my lab and I've had this TU80 sitting around forever and it's time to get rid of it. AFAIK it was working when I acquired it, but it's sat in my lab for years.

You have to come get it. It's in Rochester Michigan around 30 miles north of Detroit. Price: FREE. I'd hate to scrap it out and I'd rather see it go to someone who could use it.

As I recall, I retrieved it from an installation in Waterloo Ontario. Taking it across the border the customs guys just laughed at me. That was a long time ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dansabrservices@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Apr 12 18:34:42 2019
    Any idea how much to ship it to Ma?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Amaranth@21:1/5 to dansabr...@yahoo.com on Sat Apr 13 03:49:15 2019
    On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:34:43 PM UTC-4, dansabr...@yahoo.com wrote:
    Any idea how much to ship it to Ma?

Try calling Yellow Freight (YRC) or use their online esitmator. The closest YRC terminal is Pontiac Michigan. Add 20 pounds to the spec'd weight of the drive for the pallet, so that's around 300 pounds. Good for a ballpark. Terminal to terminal is
    generally cheapest but you can get liftgate service to residential areas if you want to pay for it.

There are a number of freight companies with more or less local terminals.

If I have to haul it out, strap it on a pallet and deliver it to a local freight pickup, that's not free. You could probably contract with 2 men and a truck to do that. Did I mention this is in my basement lab? It's a walkout but you will still need 2
    gorillas to get it out and over to where you can get it on a truck.

I'll toss the pallet in for free though.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs@21:1/5 to Paul Amaranth on Sat Apr 13 12:04:06 2019
    On 13/04/2019 00:59, Paul Amaranth wrote:
    I'm moving my lab and I've had this TU80 sitting around forever and it's time to get rid of it. AFAIK it was working when I acquired it, but it's sat in my lab for years.

You have to come get it. It's in Rochester Michigan around 30 miles north of Detroit. Price: FREE. I'd hate to scrap it out and I'd rather see it go to someone who could use it.

As I recall, I retrieved it from an installation in Waterloo Ontario. Taking it across the border the customs guys just laughed at me. That was a long time ago.

Unfortunately a bit too far from Chippenham, Wiltshire, England :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to paul.amaranth@gmail.com on Sat Apr 13 16:41:37 2019
    Paul Amaranth <paul.amaranth@gmail.com> wrote:

If I have to haul it out, strap it on a pallet and deliver it to a local fr= >eight pickup, that's not free. You could probably contract with 2 men and = >a truck to do that. Did I mention this is in my basement lab? It's a walk= >out but you will still need 2 gorillas to get it out and over to where you = >can get it on a truck.

I'll toss the pallet in for free though.

FedEx Freight will do door to door. You prep and palletize the thing, then
    they come out with a pallet jack and get it out of your shop and send it to where it needs to go. If you have an existing Fedex Express or Fedex Ground account you can usually get a discount on freight services.

Warning: if both ends are not on roads that can be easily accessed by an 18-wheeler, everything goes wrong. A loading dock is not necessary, but
    a road with enough clearance that a truck can get in is.

I got a pallet of tape flanges from Pennsylvania to Virginia and it was
    only around $250.
    --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Amaranth@21:1/5 to All on Sat Apr 13 20:25:51 2019
    When I said you would need 2 gorillas, I was not kidding. You would need to get a couple of refrigerator straps under it, carry it out the walkout door, up a dirt hill to get to the driveway. I have a pallet jack, it would be of no use in this instance.
    The driveway is on a court with a turn around circle accessible to trucks no larger than a delivery van; 18 wheelers won't fit.

Bring a friend, a pickup struck and a couple of straps and you can carry it out the door.

I've had 2 men and a truck out to move refrigerators, they can do jobs like this without a problem if you get it in their schedule for reasonable rates.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bill Gunshannon@21:1/5 to shadoooo on Mon Apr 15 15:45:21 2019
    On 4/15/19 3:20 PM, shadoooo wrote:
    Hello,
    a TU80 is a wonderful gift!
    Pity I'm way too far to pick it up...
    But I'm coming with a nice advice for whom will take the beast.
    The tape unit is heavy, but not THAT heavy by itself.
    The real weight comes from two (or four) "lingots" made of casted iron, screwed inside the rack on both sides on the bottom.
    These have been added to provide stability and avoid the tape unit to "dance" around when the strong motors start and stop.
    However these are a real pain if you have to move the whole thing around.

Maybe so, but they make great tractor weights when you have to
    plow the snow.

bill

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From shadoooo@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 15 12:20:43 2019
    Hello,
    a TU80 is a wonderful gift!
    Pity I'm way too far to pick it up...
    But I'm coming with a nice advice for whom will take the beast.
    The tape unit is heavy, but not THAT heavy by itself.
    The real weight comes from two (or four) "lingots" made of casted iron, screwed inside the rack on both sides on the bottom.
    These have been added to provide stability and avoid the tape unit to "dance" around when the strong motors start and stop.
    However these are a real pain if you have to move the whole thing around.
    So to spare around 70kg iron weight to your back simply open the back panel, and check with a lamp the screws remove the weights.
    Be careful, once the screws have been removed, the weight could fall on your feets!
    I would recommend to remount the weights before turning on the thing, otherwise it could really fly...

Andrea

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Paul Amaranth@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 29 13:05:53 2019
    No takers?

Anybody need parts? It'll cost you a six pack or two if I have to take it apart.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From dansabrservices@yahoo.com@21:1/5 to Paul Amaranth on Mon Apr 29 13:52:39 2019
    On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 4:05:54 PM UTC-4, Paul Amaranth wrote:
    No takers?

Anybody need parts? It'll cost you a six pack or two if I have to take it apart.

Since I live on the opposite side of the US, I can't really help with a move. If you feel motivated to get a shipping estimate to MA to a commercial site with a loading dock, let me know. If its not too much, I am willing to pay for shipping.

Dan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05