• WTB Decus audiotape of Bill Hancock's networking session

From Chuck Wagner@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 22 17:48:13 2020
    Back in the late 80's or early 90s I attended one of Bill Hancock's Decus sessions on networking. It was very entertaining, and included discussions of an early network protocol (tcp/ip?) at the University of Hawaii where actual transmitters & receivers
    were used with antennas instead of a cable. The punchline of that joke ended with "and of course Russian trawlers off the coast could listen in to these transmissions - unfortunately copying students Fortran homework set back Russian computing by a
    decade or more".

Anyway, I'd love to get a chance to listen to that again - does anyone know what happened to all the Decus symposium masters, or anyone who collected the audiotapes?

Thanks, Chuck.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From pbirkel@gmail.com@21:1/5 to chu...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 23 02:17:30 2020
    On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 8:48:14 PM UTC-4, chu...@gmail.com wrote:
    Back in the late 80's or early 90s I attended one of Bill Hancock's Decus sessions on networking. It was very entertaining, and included discussions of an early network protocol (tcp/ip?) at the University of Hawaii where actual transmitters &
    receivers were used with antennas instead of a cable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ALOHAnet

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Dorsey@21:1/5 to chuck60@gmail.com on Wed Sep 23 19:53:02 2020
    In article <0e3744d5-1797-4948-8ac1-005549a88c65n@googlegroups.com>,
    Chuck Wagner <chuck60@gmail.com> wrote:
    Back in the late 80's or early 90s I attended one of Bill Hancock's Decus s= >essions on networking. It was very entertaining, and included discussions = >of an early network protocol (tcp/ip?) at the University of Hawaii where ac= >tual transmitters & receivers were used with antennas instead of a cable. T= >he punchline of that joke ended with "and of course Russian trawlers off th= >e coast could listen in to these transmissions - unfortunately copying stud= >ents Fortran homework set back Russian computing by a decade or more".

That would have been Alohanet, which is very well described in a lot of
    places including Tanenbaum's book on networking which has a good statistical analysis of the transmit-without-checking-and-wait-for-ack method.
    All this stuff predated IP by quite a bit.

Anyway, I'd love to get a chance to listen to that again - does anyone know=
    what happened to all the Decus symposium masters, or anyone who collected =
    the audiotapes?

The DECUS Symposia cassette tape vendor at the time was Chesapeake Audio/Video Communications at 6330 Howard Lane in Elkridge, MD. They shut down probably fifteen years ago and Cardinal Sound and Motion Picture took over the building but I don't think they left behind any of the original recordings. You can call Neil at Cardinal and ask if he remembers the name of the guy that ran Chesapeake. He was a million years old fifteen years ago, I would be
    surprised if he was still alive but you never know.
    --scott

--
    "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05