• Classic / NOP DECs becoming available in Berlin (plus various DECs, Com

From Peter Dreisiger@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jul 3 05:10:01 2019
    Dear all,

Apologies for this semi-spam message from a long-time appreciator of classic computers and nostalgic obsolete products, but I hope this will be of interest to at least a few people here.

So, yes, by way of context, I’ve been acquiring what I consider to be characterful and/or historically interesting computers for coming up to, maybe, 15 years now, with the intention of being able to curate multiple, interactive temporary exhibits on
    the history of computing, but since moving continents (amongst other things), my paths and passions have changed, so I am currently in the process of re-testing (and repairing) my machines, and will be trying to sell them off in the coming weeks and
    months. Under different circumstances, finding people (or groups) with similar interests and plans would have been an equal-first priority, but given my more recent ‘life changes', sale price — and the ability to better pursue my new focuses — is
    now more of a factor.

But before I list them on eBay (and/or by way of a heads up), I wanted to let people here know, just in case I have something that someone here particularly wants / needs / could use. The current list of systems I will be parting with is accessible at
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QqUrO11gnn4fwAPDxqO_phKDt1M0O15G7wJxHoQrL9s but some (hopefully) highlights include (*big breath*):

DEC: MicroPDP-11/53+; MicroVAX 2000; VAXstation 4000 VLC/60/90A/96; VAX 4000 100A, 105; DECstation 5000/240, 260 (MIPS-based); DEC 3000/300X; Personal Workstation 600au; AlphaServer 4100; AlphaServer DS20, DS25 systems; Letterwriter 100; VT 101, 220, 520
    terminals
    HP: HP rx2800 Integrity2; 9000 715/100 and Visualize C110 PA-RISC systems
    SGI: Indy and O2 systems
    SUN: ELC, SPARCstation Voyager (the portable one), 5 and 20; Ultra 1; Ultra 5; Netra T1-105; Enterprise T5240
    Apple: IIc, IIe Platinums, IIgs; Mac 512ke, Mac Pluses; SE/30 and Quadra 700s (also for running A/UX); iMac G3s and a G4
    Commodore: PET 3000 systems, PET 8032-SK; various C64 / C64C and 128D systems; SX-64; Music Maker keyboards (the big one, inc. SFX modules); Amiga 1000

Apologies again, please feel free to contact me with any queries or reasonable offers, or even if you’d just like to be kept in the loop as more machines become available, and all the best.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Grant Taylor@21:1/5 to Peter Dreisiger on Wed Jul 3 09:16:37 2019
    On 7/3/19 6:10 AM, Peter Dreisiger wrote:
    Apologies for this semi-spam message from a long-time appreciator of
    classic computers and nostalgic obsolete products, but I hope this
    will be of interest to at least a few people here.

Have you considered (cross)posting your message to comp.os.vms or the
    cctalk mailing list? There might be some TUHS / COFF subscribers that
    would be interested in more Unix / other (respectively) things.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Phillip Helbig (undress to reply@21:1/5 to Peter Dreisiger on Thu Jul 4 19:37:00 2019
    In article <676f809d-7eca-4ee5-bc1d-a34acdf5d5c0@googlegroups.com>,
    Peter Dreisiger <prd@decarchive.org> writes:

I had thought about cross-posting to comp.os.vms but decided not to
    given ven the (seeming) lack of similar 'hardware available' posts there (admittedly, I didn't go that far into the archives); but based upon
    your feedback (and the feedback of several other people suggesting that
    I did, indeed, have a pretty good taste in classic computers), maybe I
    will, as I suspect the overlap between cov and here is far less than
    100%.

Of course, it is technically too late to literally cross-post, but on
    the other hand the difference would be visible only to folks like myself
    who use a real newsreader. I've been on comp.os.vms for more than a
    quarter of a century; such a post would be OK there. On the other hand,
    those of us interested in hardware also read comp.sys.dec and alt.sex.fetish.dec-hardware. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Dreisiger@21:1/5 to Grant Taylor on Thu Jul 4 12:22:15 2019
    Hi Grant,

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 5:16:36 PM UTC+2, Grant Taylor wrote:
    On 7/3/19 6:10 AM, Peter Dreisiger wrote:
    Apologies for this semi-spam message from a long-time appreciator of classic computers and nostalgic obsolete products, but I hope this
    will be of interest to at least a few people here.

Have you considered (cross)posting your message to comp.os.vms or the
    cctalk mailing list? There might be some TUHS / COFF subscribers that
    would be interested in more Unix / other (respectively) things.

Thanks for your thoughts / suggestions. I did, in fact, send this to the cctalk list (and have already gotten a bit of interest from there), too. And yes, I had thought about cross-posting to comp.os.vms but decided not to given the (seeming) lack of
    similar 'hardware available' posts there (admittedly, I didn't go that far into the archives); but based upon your feedback (and the feedback of several other people suggesting that I did, indeed, have a pretty good taste in classic computers), maybe I
    will, as I suspect the overlap between cov and here is far less than 100%.

Thanks again, and doubly so for the idea of posting to the TUHS list. (Just out of curiosity, what does COFF stand for? I only know it as Common Object File Format.)

Cheers,

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Grant Taylor@21:1/5 to Peter Dreisiger on Thu Jul 4 16:08:29 2019
    On 7/4/19 1:22 PM, Peter Dreisiger wrote:
    Hi Grant,

Hi,

Thanks again, and doubly so for the idea of posting to the TUHS
    list. (Just out of curiosity, what does COFF stand for? I only know
    it as Common Object File Format.)

I believe that's exactly what COFF stands for. It is somewhat a play on
    words between the binary format and coffee. As in have non-TUHS
    specific discussions around coffee.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Jones@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jul 11 16:47:05 2019
    I'd be interested in seeing how I could help rehoming some of your equipment. If you have any experience in international shipping on these items, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vlems@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 16 23:19:52 2019
    Peter, where are you located?

Hans Vlems

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Dreisiger@21:1/5 to Robert Jones on Fri Jul 19 03:39:02 2019
    Hi Rob,

On Friday, July 12, 2019 at 1:47:06 AM UTC+2, Robert Jones wrote:
    I'd be interested in seeing how I could help rehoming some of your equipment. If you have any experience in international shipping on these items, it would be greatly appreciated.

Rob

Apologies (to you and everyone else) for the delay in replying (several completely unrelated things came up shortly after posting my message here)...

Re shipping, mmm, well, I did shop all of these machines and parts from Australia to Germany (and given that, with the exception of the odd connector becoming a bit loose in transit, they all seem to have survived unscathed, I guess that probably should
    count for something), however my experience sending individual systems and components abroad via, say, DHL, is quite limited (fwiw).

Cheers,

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Dreisiger@21:1/5 to Hans Vlems on Fri Jul 19 03:41:21 2019
    Hi Hans,

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019 at 8:19:53 AM UTC+2, Hans Vlems wrote:
    Peter, where are you located?

Thanks for your question, and as per the subject line, I'm based in Berlin (maybe I should've added 'Germany' to that).

Cheers,

Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Hans Vlems@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jul 21 10:35:34 2019
    Peter, my bad: missed that part of the subject line.
    Berlin is too far to drive (I am in the Netherlands).
    I really don’t hope it will come to it, but if you’d decide to part out these systems then I’m interested in Alpha memory and DS25 processor boards.
    Hans

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Robert Jones@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 22 22:55:24 2019
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. Sadly it looks like the shipping would nearly double the cost of the systems that I'm interested in picking up. Best of luck locating good homes for your systems, it looks like you have built a very special
    collection.

Thanks,
    Rob

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05