• PDP 11/34 FPU

From joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 20 23:02:07 2018
    Well I am stuck again. Now I want to install m floating point board but have no jumper "connector cable" that goes between the FPU and the 11/34 cpu.

Is this just a ribbon jumper I can make?? or is it one of the over the top jumpers they used back then??

I just don't want to make the smoke come out!! :)

Thanks in advance

Joe Meyer

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Johnny Billquist@21:1/5 to joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com on Sat Jul 21 09:45:30 2018
    On 2018-07-21 08:02, joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com wrote:
    Well I am stuck again. Now I want to install m floating point board but have no jumper "connector cable" that goes between the FPU and the 11/34 cpu.

Is this just a ribbon jumper I can make?? or is it one of the over the top jumpers they used back then??

I would expect the manual to have pictures that would tell you.

If it is an over the top connector it should be very obvious, since the
    you will have a connector on the top side of the board that looks the
    same as the connectors sticking into the backplane at the bottom of the
    board.

If it is a flat cable with a connector, then you should have a normal
    connector matching that on the board.

It should all be very obvious if you just look at it.

My recollection of it all is that it is a flat cable with a straight
    connector on it, which you could make yourself, or just grab any laying
    around if you have plenty of DEC gear, since DEC used such cables all
    over the place.

Johnny

--
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books
    pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don North@21:1/5 to Don North on Sat Jul 21 04:23:45 2018
    On 2018-07-21 04:21, Don North wrote:
    On 2018-07-21 00:45, Johnny Billquist wrote:
    Well I am stuck again. Now I want to install m floating point board but have
    no jumper "connector cable" that goes between the FPU and the 11/34 cpu. >>>
    Is this just a ribbon jumper I can make?? or is it one of the over the top >>> jumpers they used back then??

If it is an over the top connector it should be very obvious, since the you >> will have a connector on the top side of the board that looks the same as the
    connectors sticking into the backplane at the bottom of the board.

My recollection of it all is that it is a flat cable with a straight connector
    on it, which you could make yourself, or just grab any laying around if you >> have plenty of DEC gear, since DEC used such cables all over the place.

Johnny

The actual over the top connectors are little PCBs that have longer female 100mil standoff sockets connected to them. A while back I made some up for my 11/34 FPP which had the original connectors which had become broken.

Here are the shared OSHpark projects for the PCBs (one each req'd per system):
    https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/7Whkx6Ws for FP11A_2x10P_jumper https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/afF8RqHp for FP11A_1x40P_jumper

The connectors I used are available from SAMTEC as:
    (2) ESW-114-33-S-D
    (2) ESW-122-33-S-D
    and can be ordered direct from SAMTEC here:  https://www.samtec.com/products/esw
    and this is the link to the detailed product spec.

And of course I forgot the product spec link: http://suddendocs.samtec.com/prints/esw-1xx-xx-x-x-xx-xx-mkt.pdf

Don

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don North@21:1/5 to Johnny Billquist on Sat Jul 21 04:21:15 2018
    Well I am stuck again. Now I want to install m floating point board but have >> no jumper "connector cable" that goes between the FPU and the 11/34 cpu.

Is this just a ribbon jumper I can make?? or is it one of the over the top >> jumpers they used back then??

If it is an over the top connector it should be very obvious, since the you will
    have a connector on the top side of the board that looks the same as the connectors sticking into the backplane at the bottom of the board.

If it is a flat cable with a connector, then you should have a normal connector
    matching that on the board.

My recollection of it all is that it is a flat cable with a straight connector
    on it, which you could make yourself, or just grab any laying around if you have
    plenty of DEC gear, since DEC used such cables all over the place.

Johnny

The actual over the top connectors are little PCBs that have longer female 100mil standoff sockets connected to them. A while back I made some up for my 11/34 FPP which had the original connectors which had become broken.

Here are the shared OSHpark projects for the PCBs (one each req'd per system): https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/7Whkx6Ws for FP11A_2x10P_jumper https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/afF8RqHp for FP11A_1x40P_jumper

The connectors I used are available from SAMTEC as:
    (2) ESW-114-33-S-D
    (2) ESW-122-33-S-D
    and can be ordered direct from SAMTEC here: https://www.samtec.com/products/esw
    and this is the link to the detailed product spec.

Don

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Johnny Billquist@21:1/5 to Don North on Sun Jul 22 11:35:44 2018
    On 2018-07-21 13:21, Don North wrote:
    Well I am stuck again. Now I want to install m floating point board
    but have no jumper "connector cable" that goes between the FPU and
    the 11/34 cpu.

Is this just a ribbon jumper I can make?? or is it one of the over
    the top jumpers they used back then??

If it is an over the top connector it should be very obvious, since
    the you will have a connector on the top side of the board that looks
    the same as the connectors sticking into the backplane at the bottom
    of the board.

My recollection of it all is that it is a flat cable with a straight
    connector on it, which you could make yourself, or just grab any
    laying around if you have plenty of DEC gear, since DEC used such
    cables all over the place.

Johnny

The actual over the top connectors are little PCBs that have longer
    female 100mil standoff sockets connected to them. A while back I made
    some up for my 11/34 FPP which had the original connectors which had
    become broken.

For the OP - the information is in the manual.
    And it's an over the top connector originally, but it's not the same
    style of over the top that DEC used on PDP-8 systems, for example.
    This over the top thing can actually be replaced with just a ribbon
    cable, I suspect. It will just be a bit bulkier.

But since Don even posted a link on where the OP could buy some, I would suggest that is the easiest solution of all.

Johnny

--
    Johnny Billquist || "I'm on a bus
    || on a psychedelic trip
    email: bqt@softjar.se || Reading murder books
    pdp is alive! || tryin' to stay hip" - B. Idol

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com@21:1/5 to joe....@southerncontrols.com on Sat Aug 11 15:37:46 2018
    On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 1:02:07 AM UTC-5, joe....@southerncontrols.com wrote:

Thanks in advance

Joe Meyer

Thanks Don

they worked great!!

How do you hook up a cache board with this setup?? is there a different double board?? Not that I have one just curious.

Joe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don North@21:1/5 to joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com on Sun Aug 12 17:00:03 2018
    On 2018-08-11 15:37, joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com wrote:
    On Saturday, July 21, 2018 at 1:02:07 AM UTC-5, joe....@southerncontrols.com wrote:

Thanks in advance

Joe Meyer

Thanks Don

they worked great!!

How do you hook up a cache board with this setup?? is there a different double board?? Not that I have one just curious.

Joe

Good to hear they are working fine. Yes, with the 11/34 cache board there is another set of two 20p over the top connectors that must be used in the install process. These are (slightly) different that the FPU over the top connectors.

The 11/34 hardware install manuals have full details.

Don

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com@21:1/5 to joe....@southerncontrols.com on Sun Aug 12 20:24:52 2018

Thanks in advance

Joe Meyer

Don:

thanks for all your assistance.

Have you tried to change the baud rate on a dl-11 to exceed 9600 ?

Also do you know of a source for the bus drivers and recievers that are used on some of the boards? Specifically the dl11-w board. I have a coule that are defective and it appears that the bus drivers are bad? when I install it in the buss it holds bit 4
    high.

thanks again
    Joe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Don North@21:1/5 to joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com on Mon Aug 13 00:30:49 2018
    On 2018-08-12 20:24, joe.meyer@southerncontrols.com wrote:

Thanks in advance

Joe Meyer

Don:

thanks for all your assistance.

Have you tried to change the baud rate on a dl-11 to exceed 9600 ?

Yes, I have on a DL11-W upgraded a board (for TU58EM use) to run at 115.2Kbaud. However, it requires changing the UART IC to a more modern (footprint compatible) device (I used an Intersil HD3-6402R-9), changing the main crystal oscillator frequency, and rewiring a bit of the baud rate divider chain. Running
    at 115.2K makes TU58 emulation almost usable as a floppy or low end disk device.

On some boards, depending on the exact UART device used, it is possible to push the board to 19.2K, and usually to 38.4K. This can be done purely by just changing the normal 5.0688MHz crystal oscillator frequency to 4X the nominal board frequency at 20.2752MHz. However I found going from 9600 to 19200 not worth the effort, and 38400 marginally better (ie, same as in an 11/44 CPU).

Also do you know of a source for the bus drivers and recievers that are used on some of the boards? Specifically the dl11-w board. I have a coule that are defective and it appears that the bus drivers are bad? when I install it in the buss it holds bit
    4 high.

If you are referring to the 8641 quad bus transceiver, the 8881 quad nand driver, and the 8837 quad nor receiver, then these are very hard to find these days as NOS (new old stock). Sometimes they come up on eBay, but are expensive and many times are board pulls or can be outright fakes.

Your best bet is to invest in a good desoldering setup and train yourself how to
    recover parts from dead boards to transfer over to good boards for rework repair.

Don

thanks again
    Joe

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05