• Re: Jon Carmack: dooming society?

From Daniel Ferguson@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 2 22:31:04 2022
    I found this thread on a late night search for "Is John Carmack related to Stephen King?", because the two share some striking similarities. It has proved a fascinating read!

As to those who have said that the U.S. Military / DoD have approached Carmack to work with them for his inventions, I do not belive that is quite the case; I have good intel that John Carmack actually stole what became DOOM from the U.S. Navy, who had
    created the base engine for training purposes. Carmack somehow got a copy of the training software, modified it to be a demon shooter rather than an enemies of the US shooter, and sold it as his own invention. That is not to say that he is not brilliant,
    he absolutely is and was to do what he did from then to now. The military ultimately made the call to not pursue him legally, because they reasoned that the more young folk they could get to practice aiming, shooting, and killing, the better qualified
    candidates they would have for the military in general.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Rin Stowleigh@21:1/5 to dedwardf9@gmail.com on Sat Sep 3 06:04:13 2022
    On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:31:04 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Ferguson
    <dedwardf9@gmail.com> wrote:

I found this thread on a late night search for "Is John Carmack related to Stephen King?", because the two share some striking similarities. It has proved a fascinating read!

As to those who have said that the U.S. Military / DoD have approached Carmack to work with them for his inventions, I do not belive that is quite the case; I have good intel that John Carmack actually stole what became DOOM from the U.S. Navy, who had
    created the base engine for training purposes. Carmack somehow got a copy of the training software, modified it to be a demon shooter rather than an enemies of the US shooter, and sold it as his own invention. That is not to say that he is not brilliant,
    he absolutely is and was to do what he did from then to now. The military ultimately made the call to not pursue him legally, because they reasoned that the more young folk they could get to practice aiming, shooting, and killing, the better qualified

The idea of 3D technology innovation beginning at the DoD and
    trickling down into private sector is hilarious. It always works the
    other way around.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spalls Hurgenson@21:1/5 to rstowleigh@x-nospam-x.com on Sat Sep 3 12:11:40 2022
    On Sat, 03 Sep 2022 06:04:13 -0400, Rin Stowleigh
    <rstowleigh@x-nospam-x.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:31:04 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Ferguson ><dedwardf9@gmail.com> wrote:

other way around.

Especially since - while Carmack's implementation in Doom was elegant
    - it wasn't particularly novel. It owed a lot to his earlier efforts (Wolfenstein 3D in particular) and there were other similar engines
    available at the time. Carmack's engine's main feature was its speed,
    not its capabilities.* But just as it wasn't super-tech stolen from
    military archives, neither did it appear Athena-like from Carmack's
    head. Doom's technology had plenty of antecedents.

The US military actually licensed the Doom engine /from/ Id (something
    they'd hardly need to do if they already had the tech on hand) to
    create "Marine Doom", although it never got any widespread use and was
    largely used to test-bed ideas about how computer simulations could be
    used to train its soldier (largely in learning how to work together
    towards a common goal). It's interesting to see how this idea has
    since morphed into "the gub'ment created Doom, y'all" conspiracy
    posted above.

Still, it's a better troll than we've seen in years so I give it 2.5
    bridges (out of 4) on the trollometer. It doesn't fool anyone but it
    was an entertaining rant; a good first attempt. ;-)

==================
    * inevitably, someone is going to make the comparison to
    Origin/Looking Glass' "Ultima Underworld" engine so it might as well
    be me ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Justisaur@21:1/5 to Rin Stowleigh on Sat Sep 3 09:11:01 2022
    On Saturday, September 3, 2022 at 3:04:19 AM UTC-7, Rin Stowleigh wrote:
    On Fri, 2 Sep 2022 22:31:04 -0700 (PDT), Daniel Ferguson
    <dedw...@gmail.com> wrote:

As to those who have said that the U.S. Military / DoD have approached Carmack to work with them for his inventions, I do not belive that is quite the case; I have good intel that John Carmack actually stole what became DOOM from the U.S. Navy, who
    had created the base engine for training purposes. Carmack somehow got a copy of the training software, modified it to be a demon shooter rather than an enemies of the US shooter, and sold it as his own invention. That is not to say that he is not
    brilliant, he absolutely is and was to do what he did from then to now. The military ultimately made the call to not pursue him legally, because they reasoned that the more young folk they could get to practice aiming, shooting, and killing, the better
    qualified candidates they would have for the military in general.
    other way around.

I'm not sure how you could get better at shooting from DOOM either, the original had no up & down aiming. Having never shot a gun, I don't know
    that both axis aiming translates either. All I can say for sure, having practice with bows, is that no bow in a fantasy game I've ever played translates to making one better at shooting one in real life, let alone
    comes close to replicating it.

- Justisaur

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Spalls Hurgenson@21:1/5 to justisaur@gmail.com on Sat Sep 3 18:13:03 2022
    On Sat, 3 Sep 2022 09:11:01 -0700 (PDT), Justisaur
    <justisaur@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm not sure how you could get better at shooting from DOOM either, the >original had no up & down aiming. Having never shot a gun, I don't know
    that both axis aiming translates either. All I can say for sure, having >practice with bows, is that no bow in a fantasy game I've ever played >translates to making one better at shooting one in real life, let alone
    comes close to replicating it.

"Marine Doom" wasn't about teaching its soldiers to shoot so much as team-building (I mean, how could it be; firing a real gun is an
    entirely different experience than it is in a video game). Instead, it
    was - from what I recall - intended to foster ideas like unit
    cohesion, move-n-cover tactics, what to do when the sergeants buys it,
    working together as a group, etc.

But the whole thing was never widely used. From what I remember, it
    wasn't seen as being any more effective than existing training
    techniques which had the added benefit of putting the soldiers in a
    more realistic setting than staring at a computer screen and wiggling
    a mouse. So while "Marine Doom" got a lot of press, it was never
    really part of the US Military training regime.

(But I'm saying this all based on thirty-year old memories so if I'm
    wrong, feel free to correct me. Pretty much all of the google results
    about the topic only talk about the program's existance, and not its
    actual utility or fate so I'd love to read some documented specifics).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Werner P.@21:1/5 to All on Sun Sep 4 19:08:42 2022
    Am 03.09.22 um 07:31 schrieb Daniel Ferguson:
    I dont believe this story, if you follow the games they produced up to
    Doom, Doom just another step on what they had been doing for years at
    that point. Enginewise Looking Glass was way ahead of them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05