• Iyonix Linux 1GB issues

From D Gunawardena@21:1/5 to All on Tue Dec 22 09:03:27 2020
    My working Linux (Debian Linux 3.0 2.4.27-iyonix kernel) system on Iyonix stopped booting after upgrading to 1GB RAM (RISC OS 5.28 works fine). It seems to get stuck trying to probe hda..hdd and then detects the audio chipset but hangs at that point. I
    vaguely recall reading about some issues with 1GB RAM and Iyonix Linux. Can anyone recall if there was an issue and if so what it was - perhaps it is something I could try and fix? Incidentally, when I downgraded to 512MB RAM, Linux booted fine.

Thanks in advance,
    --
    --Dinan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Theo@21:1/5 to D Gunawardena on Tue Dec 22 23:00:55 2020
    D Gunawardena <dinangster@gmail.com> wrote:
    My working Linux (Debian Linux 3.0 2.4.27-iyonix kernel) system on Iyonix stopped booting after upgrading to 1GB RAM (RISC OS 5.28 works fine). It seems to get stuck trying to probe hda..hdd and then detects the audio chipset but hangs at that point. I vaguely recall reading about some
    issues with 1GB RAM and Iyonix Linux. Can anyone recall if there was an issue and if so what it was - perhaps it is something I could try and fix? Incidentally, when I downgraded to 512MB RAM, Linux booted fine.

A wild guess would be some kind of addressing clash between RAM and PCI. I don't know where PCI address space lives on the 80321, but maybe they didn't plan for 1GB RAM. Or maybe there's a limit to where PCI devices can DMA
    from.

The address map should be in the Iyonix/Tungsten TRM. I thought a copy of it was available on the net but I can't find it now :(
    Failing that, the 80321 data sheet might give something.

It might be worth looking through the patches for Iyonix Linux and see if
    they do anything like assuming RAM is 512MB or less, like chopping off addresses at 29 bits in drivers or something.

Theo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)