• HP 48SX does not switch on

From severin.eskeland@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Apr 10 09:00:01 2019
    torsdag 21. januar 2010 16.23.36 UTC+1 skrev Marck følgende:
    Hi all,

I pulled out of the box after many years my HP 48SX which is in perfect conditions...except for the fact that it doesn't switch on!
    Of course I put 3 new batteries in it.. but nothing happens. Does
    anybody know if I can perform some little tests to try to understand
    what's happening and fix the problem?

Many thanks to all of you.
    Marck

press the area under the display and press on at the same time. that did it for me.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Jack@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 14 18:46:54 2019
    My HP48GX is doing the same thing. The manual offers several ON + (different keys) but none work. It had been working perfectly and then I laid it aside for about a week. I have done cleanup in the battery compartment. Is there a place to send it for
    repair. Is there a place to buy a graphical & programmable scientific HP calculator?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Finley@21:1/5 to severin....@gmail.com on Sat May 22 20:21:09 2021
    On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 11:00:04 AM UTC-5, severin....@gmail.com wrote:
    torsdag 21. januar 2010 16.23.36 UTC+1 skrev Marck følgende:
    Hi all,

I pulled out of the box after many years my HP 48SX which is in perfect conditions...except for the fact that it doesn't switch on!
    Of course I put 3 new batteries in it.. but nothing happens. Does
    anybody know if I can perform some little tests to try to understand what's happening and fix the problem?

Many thanks to all of you.
    Marck
    press the area under the display and press on at the same time. that did it for me.

Just a note of confirmation: I pulled my dad's 48SX out of storage, put new batteries in, and could not get it to turn on with the reset (under top right foot), with ON/+, ON with any top row keys, reversing batteries briefly, holding reset a long time...
    what worked is pressing between display and top row of keys while I press ON. It turns on, but many key presses don't work unless I'm also pressing below the display (e.g. I can enter numbers and press ENTER, but none of +/-/x// work unless I press up
    there, then can't turn it back on.

I get an audible "click" when I press there, like there's something sticky, some goo. I might open it up, but just knowing what ails it might be enough for now (15C works the day job).

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05