• Seeking Mac font to display HP50 strings

From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 26 08:18:21 2018
    I'm using an iPhone app, Emu48 a.k.a. HP50g (by TheWinterStorm). I can copy files from the emulator to my Mac laptop via the built-in WLAN support, but many characters display wrong glyphs. Is there a Mac font that will display these (preferably a TTF
    font)? I believe I used to have one, but that was several computers ago and I can't find it.
    Irl in Concord

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Bruce Horrocks@21:1/5 to opticsmith@mindspring.com on Wed Sep 26 22:40:18 2018
    On 26/09/2018 16:18, opticsmith@mindspring.com wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone app, Emu48 a.k.a. HP50g (by TheWinterStorm). I can copy files from the emulator to my Mac laptop via the built-in WLAN support, but many characters display wrong glyphs. Is there a Mac font that will display these (preferably a TTF
    font)? I believe I used to have one, but that was several computers ago and I can't find it.
    Irl in Concord

These maybe?
    <https://www.hpcalc.org/details/3243>

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England
    (bruce at scorecrow dot com)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to Bruce Horrocks on Thu Sep 27 04:14:28 2018
    On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 5:40:20 PM UTC-4, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
    On 26/09/2018 16:18, opticsmith at mindspring dot com wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone app, Emu48 a.k.a. HP50g (by TheWinterStorm). I can copy files from the emulator to my Mac laptop via the built-in WLAN support, but many characters display wrong glyphs. Is there a Mac font that will display these (preferably a
    TTF font)? I believe I used to have one, but that was several computers ago and I can't find it.
    Irl in Concord

These maybe?

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England

Thanks! That's a start, at least. Many of the special characters now show up correctly. Some don't yet, e.g., the right arrow (character 141) is just a box. On my Mac I have to use (using BBEdit) the "Western (Windows Latin 1)" encoding. I've just
    started trying to get this to work so I may make more progress after more thought. Worst case I can run the character string through a character remapping program in MATLAB.
    Irl Smith (opticsmith at mindspring dot com)
    Concord MA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jsk618@gmail.com@21:1/5 to optic...@mindspring.com on Fri Sep 28 08:27:48 2018
    On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 7:14:30 AM UTC-4, optic...@mindspring.com wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone app, Emu48 a.k.a. HP50g (by TheWinterStorm). I can copy files from the emulator to my Mac laptop via the built-in WLAN support, but many characters display wrong glyphs. Is there a Mac font that will display these (preferably a
    TTF font)? I believe I used to have one, but that was several computers ago and I can't find it.
    Irl in Concord

These maybe?

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England

Thanks! That's a start, at least. Many of the special characters now show up correctly. Some don't yet, e.g., the right arrow (character 141) is just a box. On my Mac I have to use (using BBEdit) the "Western (Windows Latin 1)" encoding. I've just
    started trying to get this to work so I may make more progress after more thought. Worst case I can run the character string through a character remapping program in MATLAB.
    Concord MA

Try using UTF-8 encoding instead.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to jsk...@gmail.com on Fri Sep 28 09:25:59 2018
    On Friday, September 28, 2018 at 11:27:50 AM UTC-4, jsk...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Thursday, September 27, 2018 at 7:14:30 AM UTC-4, optic...@mindspring.com wrote:
    I'm using an iPhone app, Emu48 a.k.a. HP50g (by TheWinterStorm). I can copy files from the emulator to my Mac laptop via the built-in WLAN support, but many characters display wrong glyphs. Is there a Mac font that will display these (preferably
    a TTF font)? I believe I used to have one, but that was several computers ago and I can't find it.
    Irl in Concord

These maybe?

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England

Concord MA

I actually tried a bunch of encodings, including that one (which gives the message "The UTF-8 file “tidstr.txt” is damaged or incorrectly formed; please proceed with caution."). Here tidstr.txt is the result of using ->STR on a directory and then
    using the emulator's WLAN support to transfer it. I tried the following encodings (which were all that were available and not obviously useless such as Chinese):
    Western (ISO Latin 1)
    Western (ISO Latin 9)
    Western (Mac OS Roman)
    Western (Windows Latin 1)
    I suspect that I need to actually do some kind of conversion similar to what is done by the Kermit or other serial servers, but do it all internal to the emulator, not while transmitting over a serial connection. Are you aware of any function to do this?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce Horrocks@21:1/5 to opticsmith@mindspring.com on Sun Sep 30 11:46:48 2018
    On 28/09/2018 17:25, opticsmith@mindspring.com wrote:

I actually tried a bunch of encodings, including that one (which
    gives the message "The UTF-8 file “tidstr.txt” is damaged or
    incorrectly formed; please proceed with caution."). Here tidstr.txt
    is the result of using ->STR on a directory and then using the
    emulator's WLAN support to transfer it. I tried the following
    encodings (which were all that were available and not obviously
    useless such as Chinese): Western (ISO Latin 1) Western (ISO Latin
    9) Western (Mac OS Roman) Western (Windows Latin 1) I suspect that I
    need to actually do some kind of conversion similar to what is done
    by the Kermit or other serial servers, but do it all internal to the emulator, not while transmitting over a serial connection. Are you
    aware of any function to do this?

UTF-8 isn't going to work because the calc doesn't support it. :-(

The 48/49/50 series use ISO-8859-1 encoding, the mapping for which is
    shown in Appendix J of the Advanced User's Reference Manual. <http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02836298>

The presence of the emulator complicates things because the emulator may
    well be UTF-8 compliant and /may/ do the conversion automatically when
    you do a cut and paste etc. TBH I can't remember - its been a while
    since I used it.

You can do your own conversion to Unicode/UTF-8 - there's a useful guide
    here.
    <http://www.drehersoft.com/mapping-hp48-text-to-unicode/>

As you note, the Kermit engine does convert the calc's internal
    character set into a plain ASCII format using escape sequences. These
    are also listed in appendix J, and the degree of translation is subject
    to the IOPAR variable and the TRANSIO command.

The actual translation routine used by Kermit is not made available as a userRPL command but can be accessed via a SYSEVAL. Unfortunately I can
    only find programs for the 48 & 49. You'll need to find a table of
    SYSEVAL mappings and see what the equivalent on the 50G is in order to
    make use of these. (This is left as an exercise for the reader.) :-) <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.sys.hp48/tJXI-NdnuHM/uGmz4j7M6VIJ>

HTH

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Joe Horn@21:1/5 to Bruce Horrocks on Tue Oct 2 20:20:49 2018
    On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 3:46:51 AM UTC-7, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
    The actual translation routine used by Kermit is not made available as a userRPL command but can be accessed via a SYSEVAL. Unfortunately I can
    make use of these. (This is left as an exercise for the reader.) :-)

Here are two 50g programs that might do what you're looking for:

TRAN (to TRANSIO trigraphs)
    << ->STR 3. TRANSIO #2F34Eh SYSEVAL >>
    BYTES: 33.0 #F87Dh

TRAN-> (from TRANSIO trigraphs)
    << ->STR 3. TRANSIO #2F34Dh SYSEVAL DROP OBJ-> >>
    BYTES: 38.0 #2558h

To use, put any object on the stack and execute ->TRAN. Its trigraph representation is returned as a string. Execute TRAN-> on that string to return it to the original object.

-Joe-

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to Joe Horn on Wed Oct 3 12:08:22 2018
    On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 11:20:51 PM UTC-4, Joe Horn wrote:
    On Sunday, September 30, 2018 at 3:46:51 AM UTC-7, Bruce Horrocks wrote:
    make use of these. (This is left as an exercise for the reader.) :-)

Here are two 50g programs that might do what you're looking for:

TRAN (to TRANSIO trigraphs)
    << ->STR 3. TRANSIO #2F34Eh SYSEVAL >>
    BYTES: 33.0 #F87Dh

TRAN-> (from TRANSIO trigraphs)
    << ->STR 3. TRANSIO #2F34Dh SYSEVAL DROP OBJ-> >>
    BYTES: 38.0 #2558h

To use, put any object on the stack and execute ->TRAN. Its trigraph representation is returned as a string. Execute TRAN-> on that string to return it to the original object.

-Joe-

Thanks! Does the trick. It solves a slightly different problem than the one I was looking for, which would be a way to have a text file display in a text editor with single-glyph HP50 characters properly mapped, but this solution allows me to read and
    even edit the code.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05