• HP-Prime a paperweight?

From john.sears77@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Scott Chapin on Sat Dec 29 14:15:23 2018
    On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 7:23:43 AM UTC-6, Scott Chapin wrote:
    Jul 27me
    My Prime frequently won't turn on without a reset. I had a battery from another Prime and it behaves the same way. I have removed the batter
    Jul 27Joe Horn
    What firmware version does it have? If it's not the most recent one (2017-07-10, rev 12066) then you should update your firmware to get rid
    7:37 AMme
    Thank you, Joe. I didn't realize such a new update was available. I will do that.

I wound up resetting it yesterday and tried to turn it on later, which it did turn on. Then I plugged it into a USB and left it on for well over an hour at which point it turned off after that it has been working fine, except one time this morning.

I will update the OS and let the batteries die out a couple of times and recharge them while leaving the calculator powered on.

This is not timely, but I recently purchased a Prime from hpCalc.org.It arrived with what turned out to be a dead battery. I replaced it with an Samsung Galaxy S3 telephone battery and so far it is working alright.I was denied warranty coverage, as they
    find that it was purchased from an auction site??? I am currently disputing this with HP. I think you are right about it (the Prime) being a candidate for paper weight. My 48gx, 49, and 50g are all great machines. Hope they last.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Joe Horn@21:1/5 to John Sears on Tue Jan 1 16:57:07 2019
    On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:15:25 PM UTC-8, John Sears wrote:
    This is not timely, but I recently purchased a Prime from hpCalc.org.
    It arrived with what turned out to be a dead battery. I replaced it with an Samsung Galaxy S3 telephone battery and so far it is working alright.
    I was denied warranty coverage, as they find that it was purchased from
    an auction site??? I am currently disputing this with HP.

Yes, you should dispute this with HP. They are apparently unaware that hpcalc.org is *not* an auction site, but is a commercial retailer for HP.
    See the warranty notice at the bottom of the page at http://commerce.hpcalc.org/prime.php

I think you are right about it (the Prime) being a candidate for paper weight. My 48gx, 49, and 50g are all great machines. Hope they last.

I hope that feeling goes away as you learn the Prime, which will take an
    amount of time proportional to how much is there to be learned. Once its programming language is learned, it is a joy to program, since editing is
    so fast & easy, and execution is hundreds of times faster than even the HP 50g.

-Joe-

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From John Sears@21:1/5 to Joe Horn on Wed Jan 2 10:43:34 2019
    On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 5:57:08 PM UTC-7, Joe Horn wrote:
    On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 2:15:25 PM UTC-8, John Sears wrote:
    This is not timely, but I recently purchased a Prime from hpCalc.org.
    It arrived with what turned out to be a dead battery. I replaced it with an Samsung Galaxy S3 telephone battery and so far it is working alright.
    I was denied warranty coverage, as they find that it was purchased from
    an auction site??? I am currently disputing this with HP.

Yes, you should dispute this with HP. They are apparently unaware that hpcalc.org is *not* an auction site, but is a commercial retailer for HP.
    See the warranty notice at the bottom of the page at http://commerce.hpcalc.org/prime.php

I think you are right about it (the Prime) being a candidate for paper weight. My 48gx, 49, and 50g are all great machines. Hope they last.

I hope that feeling goes away as you learn the Prime, which will take an amount of time proportional to how much is there to be learned. Once its programming language is learned, it is a joy to program, since editing is
    so fast & easy, and execution is hundreds of times faster than even the HP 50g.

-Joe-

Thanks. Despite the expectation of my elders and peers I have grown old. I may not have enough wattage left between the ears to learn the Prime's RPL, but I will delve into it. Any recommendations for a tutorial besides the user manual?

JSears

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From jamesludwighorn@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 3 08:54:43 2019
    Good grief, Joe - now you're making me want one. My HP50g (thank you, again!!) has kept me happy and challenged and gets used every day. Mathematica had been a useful tool as well. Perhaps it's time to try the Prime...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bruce Horrocks@21:1/5 to Joe Horn on Sun Jan 6 11:37:28 2019
    On 02/01/2019 00:57, Joe Horn wrote:
    it is a joy to program, since editing is
    so fast & easy

I exclusively develop in the Connectivity Kit and then run on the
    emulator. The biggest 'pain' with this approach is having to continually
    go to the emulator, press [BLUESHIFT] [PROGRAM], then click on my
    program, then click [CHECK] then (if no errors) click [HOME] or [CAS] to
    get back to where I was to see if my edit made any difference.

Is there any way to automate the check process so that saving from the connectivity kit automatically runs the compile cycle?

I don't really understand why this isn't the default. Why would you ever
    want to do anything else?

--
    Bruce Horrocks
    Surrey
    England
    (bruce at scorecrow dot com)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05