• failed recover memory after changing battery?

From Erdos@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 16 06:12:31 2023
    hi my hp48G's battery is running low. after put fresh set of 3xAAA battery in, I powered on the battery and was prompted to 'recover memory'. I chose 'yes' but the stored memory didn't get restored.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to Erdos on Sat Jun 17 06:33:03 2023
    On Friday, June 16, 2023 at 9:12:33 AM UTC-4, Erdos wrote:
    hi my hp48G's battery is running low. after put fresh set of 3xAAA battery in, I powered on the battery and was prompted to 'recover memory'. I chose 'yes' but the stored memory didn't get restored.
    Per an article in the HP Journal from 1991 about the detailed design and operation of the device:
    "The 1LT8 chip also monitors the battery voltage. When the voltage falls to between 3.4 and 3.0 volts, the low-battery annunciator is turned on. If the batteries are not changed and the battery voltage falls below 1.5 volts, the system turns off. A 1000-
    juF capacitor maintains the VDD supply for several minutes while the batteries are being changed."
    If you left the calculator without a full set of batteries for more than a minute or two, you risk memory corruption. I believe that when the calculator wakes up it must do some kind of check on the contents of memory and can discover whether the
    memory contents have been damaged. Depending on the level of corruption, you may be able to see some or all directories (but possibly with strange names) and then you could manually move them into directories you newly create. But if there's nothing
    after you Try to Recover Memory, you probably have only your backups to get your data back from.
    I'm guessing that the capacitor might have a finite lifetime as well; high-capacitance capacitors have delicate internal structures which might degrade, so your time interval during which you have to swap the batteries might be much shorter.
    The above is probably true but I hope someone who has actual in-depth knowledge will chime in and deliver actual factuals.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erdos@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 20 05:39:46 2023
    Great details! thank you for the reply!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From J. Nielsen@21:1/5 to Erdos on Sun Jun 25 18:53:31 2023
    On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), Erdos <fengyuguinyc@gmail.com> wrote:

We still use a couple of hp28 at work. When changing batteries I have the new batteries lined up and ready for a quick swap.
    (we also have copies of the various solver equations - just in case!)
    --

-JN-

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eric Rechlin@21:1/5 to J. Nielsen on Mon Jul 31 17:46:26 2023
    On 2023-06-25 11:53, J. Nielsen wrote:
    On Tue, 20 Jun 2023 05:39:46 -0700 (PDT), Erdos <fengyuguinyc@gmail.com> wrote:

We still use a couple of hp28 at work. When changing batteries I have the new batteries lined up and ready for a quick swap.
    (we also have copies of the various solver equations - just in case!)

At least with the 48, the batteries are configured in such a way that
    you can replace just one at a time, to minimize the time the capacitor
    has to preserve the memory. Meanwhile, with the 28 you have the extra
    problem of the extremely-fragile battery door. The latest production
    units of the 19BII addressed this, but unfortunately that was after the
    28 was discontinued.

Eric

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05