• HP 48GX ON key problem

From tonywolfe07@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Edwin Mendoza on Mon Dec 3 07:59:14 2018
    On Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 9:39:51 PM UTC-4, Edwin Mendoza wrote:
    I had the same issue some years ago after I opened my 48g.
    The reason would be in yur case that the main board is not making
    contact properly with the keayboard. The signal of the keys is
    introduced to the main board right below the screen

Try turning it on but pressing the metal cover just above the the "C"
    key. (In fact, it worked better for my between the "B" and "C" keys)

If it works, the problem is that the main PCB might have loosen. You
    can 1) Get used turning it on and off that way (althow you might
    program another button for the off function) 2) Hit it hard by a side
    with your hands hoping luck fix it (it worked to me in some 49Gs when
    the screen became crazy) 3) Try open it and tighten the board again.

I recomend #1

Edwin

#1 is BRILLIANT! Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From mizas.charles@gmail.com@21:1/5 to tonyw...@gmail.com on Mon May 27 14:20:34 2019
    On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 8:59:15 AM UTC-7, tonyw...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 9:39:51 PM UTC-4, Edwin Mendoza wrote:
    I had the same issue some years ago after I opened my 48g.
    The reason would be in yur case that the main board is not making
    contact properly with the keayboard. The signal of the keys is
    introduced to the main board right below the screen

Try turning it on but pressing the metal cover just above the the "C"
    key. (In fact, it worked better for my between the "B" and "C" keys)

If it works, the problem is that the main PCB might have loosen. You
    can 1) Get used turning it on and off that way (althow you might
    program another button for the off function) 2) Hit it hard by a side
    with your hands hoping luck fix it (it worked to me in some 49Gs when
    the screen became crazy) 3) Try open it and tighten the board again.

I recomend #1

Edwin

#1 is BRILLIANT! Thanks!

# 1 worked, Thanks. I told HP about your answer with link to it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From goncalr1@gmail.com@21:1/5 to manjo on Fri Apr 10 03:41:23 2020
    On Monday, 4 September 2006 02:54:36 UTC+2, manjo wrote:
    I have a HP 48GX with an ON key problem. When I try to turn the calculator on or off as normal the key does not work. When I use ON+C the on button works perfectly. I have no way to turn the calculator
    off except waiting for it to time our or remove the batteries. Any suggestions as to repairing this are appreciated. Jon

Hello,

(if your GX is old enough or if it was exposed to fine dust :-)
    you may have the problem i had with old SX !
    Just about under first row of keys there are contacts which connect your calculator motherboard with keyboard PCB.
    (that's why it seems to be working when you press ON-C you press the
    keyboard PCB so it gets slightly closer to MBRD -that's why it seems to be working in that case)

These contacts are just touching eachother making contact that's why this is sensitive to dust.

note: if that's the case it will not get better, it will get worse and more anoying so consider following...

possible fix :
    take your GX apart, try to blow away the dust with highly compressed air, (use high preassure so you won't move the dust around, you would rather blow it out and away)
    in case this doesn't fix the issue go further: separate keyboard PCB from motherboard and clean properly

I don't recommend this if you're not experienced in taking things apart and puting them back tougether (without permanent damage :-)

manjo

this worked perfectly. thank you so much!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Nordic Crystal@21:1/5 to jwhidby on Sat Dec 31 02:15:43 2022
    On Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 10:09:00 PM UTC+2, jwhidby wrote:
    I have a HP 48GX with an ON key problem. When I try to turn the
    calculator on or off as normal the key does not work. When I use ON+C
    the on button works perfectly. I have no way to turn the calculator
    off except waiting for it to time our or remove the batteries. Any suggestions as to repairing this are appreciated. Jon

I know it's been some time, but I have had same issue and got it sorted. So if anyone is reading this looking for a solution, try this.

In the older machines there brews a connection issue which will sometimes make the calculater not respond to the ON button being pressed.
    Test this: Lightly press above the B & C button, just between the buttons and the LCD screen, while pressing try to switch on.

If that worked, you have this connection issue. On my calculator it deteriorated to including the entire top right quadrant of the keyboard. Annoying to say the least.
    But I got that fixed too, i will paste the solution here below, sorry if some of the wording seems off - it's from a comment I made on Youtube so might ''read'' weird:

I had this issue on my HP 48GX and found a similar instruction somewhere online about a year ago - worked wonders for me. However, now (a year later) about a 1/3 of all buttons top right quadrant requires this to work at all. I didn't really like that so
    i looked for more videos on disassembly and found out it is a bi*** to take apart....
    Figured I'd go for a more ''messy'' solution - just to try it out.

I removed the battery cover, batteries, and memory slot cover. I took a can of pressurized electro-cleaning fluid and sprayed A LOT in through the memory card slot, through the battery slot (where the connectors come through the plastic, and through the
    hole where the forward facing connector is (next to the IR lights). then i shook and turned the calculator to make sure it got in everywhere.
    Now I want to be clear. I wrote A LOT above and I really mean A LOT. It was running out in a steady stream of the other end of the calculator as I sprayed like a madman on drugs.
    Afterwards I used a vacuum cleaner on the same places, just to get a rinse through of air which helps evaporate any electro-cleaning fluid still stuck inside.

I no longer need to press above B and c at all, not even to start it up, contact/functionality is fully restored.

I got the idea after watching Right to Repair Nightmare - HP 48SX: ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrVQ8SyQ4EU ) - where at 16:55 he shows a part sitting just below where we press connecting the board to a piezo element on the back metal frame itself. Figured
    there might just be a connecting issue there. I might be very wrong about what I figured, I might be so off you wouldn't believe - but the fact remains: I can now use my calculator as normal again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05