• HELP!!!! My 48SX won't turn on!

From pietro.gucciardi@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu May 14 09:44:36 2020
    Il giorno martedì 25 ottobre 1994 01:04:26 UTC+1, Eric Crampton ha scritto:
    The Alchemist (alchemy@xmission.com) wrote:
    : In article <38hc86$9je@xmission.xmission.com>, alchemy@xmission.com (The Alchemist) says:
    : >
    : >I have a 48SX and recently, it completely stopped working. I can't even get a
    : >rseponse when I turn the thing on... I have no idea how this happened and it
    : >happened long enough ago that I cannot remember the symptoms it gave when it
    : >died. Please help!

: Sorry, I should have mentioned: I tried installing fresh batteries too... : Fortunately, I have a 48GX that I can use in reserve, but I'd love to get my
    : older SX to work again!

Try ON-C, ON-A-F, etc. If those don't work, then try hitting that reset button which is underneath one of the small rubber feet on the underside of the calculator.

--
    ecrampto@csugrad.cs.vt.edu | "Our life is what our thoughts make of it."
    Eric Crampton | -Marcus Aurelius

I kept stored the 48sx without batteries for years and it did not start when putting in the new batteries. I tried any reset procedure found in the internet with no results.

What worked for me was: putting only one battery (the top most one) and leave it for several days (maybe one week). All of a sudden, when I tried to add the other two batteries ... it went alive.

I don't know why ... but it worked.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From opticsmith@mindspring.com@21:1/5 to pietro....@gmail.com on Fri May 15 09:56:18 2020
    On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:44:39 PM UTC-4, pietro....@gmail.com wrote:
    Il giorno martedì 25 ottobre 1994 01:04:26 UTC+1, Eric Crampton ha scritto:
    The Alchemist (alchemy@xmission.com) wrote:
    : In article <38hc86$9je@xmission.xmission.com>, alchemy@xmission.com (The Alchemist) says:
    : >
    : >I have a 48SX and recently, it completely stopped working. I can't even get a
    : >rseponse when I turn the thing on... I have no idea how this happened and it
    : >happened long enough ago that I cannot remember the symptoms it gave when it
    : >died. Please help!

: Sorry, I should have mentioned: I tried installing fresh batteries too...
    : Fortunately, I have a 48GX that I can use in reserve, but I'd love to get my
    : older SX to work again!

Try ON-C, ON-A-F, etc. If those don't work, then try hitting that reset button which is underneath one of the small rubber feet on the underside of the calculator.

--
    ecrampto@csugrad.cs.vt.edu | "Our life is what our thoughts make of it." Eric Crampton | -Marcus Aurelius

I kept stored the 48sx without batteries for years and it did not start when putting in the new batteries. I tried any reset procedure found in the internet with no results.

What worked for me was: putting only one battery (the top most one) and leave it for several days (maybe one week). All of a sudden, when I tried to add the other two batteries ... it went alive.

I don't know why ... but it worked.

HP calcs have a small amount of onboard energy storage, to maintain the clock and such while the batteries were being changed. This can keep the processor alive, and if it's in a stuck state it might not restart with new batteries. The solution for
    certain older calculators (I don't remember which) was to install (all) batteries backwards for a few days. This will quickly leak away the stored energy. Then when the batteries are replaced, it's a clean start and usually succeeds. I'm surprised that
    adding just one battery worked, but the currents are tiny and maybe there was enough leakage to do the trick.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)