• HP48GX cable transfer in Linux?

From fonsecajuan06@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 26 11:48:39 2020
    Hi, I recently got an HP48GX from a friend and tried to connect to my usb iMac running Ubuntu Linux with a serial DB9 to usb adapter; the adapter is recognized and properly showing under Linux as /dev/ttyUSB0 (I even connected a led to the TX line and
    flashed it from python, so signal is ok).
    But had ZERO success in trying to communicate with HP48GX from kermit, minicom and hptalx 1.3.1.
    I used the pinout schematics from here:
    https://www.educalc.net/1199484.page

Of course I connected the TX from pc's DB9 to RX of HP48GX and viceversa but tried all methods (kermit, xmodem, server mode) to no avail.Always timeout error on both ends (so there is some signal/cabling issue imho).

Did anyone have success with this setup?

thanks in advance

juan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From olaf@21:1/5 to fonsecajuan06@gmail.com on Wed Feb 26 21:23:39 2020
    fonsecajuan06@gmail.com wrote:

Hi, I recently got an HP48GX from a friend and tried to connect to my usb iMac

My last Apple was a ][+,

...but datatransfer to a normal linux computer with kermit was working
    when I used it last time a few year back.

Do you have correct udev rules so a user can use the port?

Olaf

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fonsecajuan06@gmail.com@21:1/5 to olaf on Fri Feb 28 17:30:07 2020
    On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 5:30:03 PM UTC-3, olaf wrote:
    fonsecajuan06@gmail.com wrote:

My last Apple was a ][+,

Olaf

Hi Olaf, after your reply I chmod'ed to 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 but even running all the tools as root yielded no results.
    Im suspecting the HP has a hardware problem in the serial port; otherwise Im looking to borrow an old pc motherboard with a built-in serial DB-9 port and try there.

Thanks!

juan

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eugene Nine@21:1/5 to fonsec...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 2 05:51:34 2020
    On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 8:30:09 PM UTC-5, fonsec...@gmail.com wrote:
    fonsec...@gmail.com wrote:

My last Apple was a ][+,

Olaf

Hi Olaf, after your reply I chmod'ed to 777 /dev/ttyUSB0 but even running all the tools as root yielded no results.
    Im suspecting the HP has a hardware problem in the serial port; otherwise Im looking to borrow an old pc motherboard with a built-in serial DB-9 port and try there.

Thanks!

juan

You can test the pc side easy enough by putting a jumper wire between the Tx and Rx of your usb to serial adapter and see the echo of whatever you send out the port.

put a couple LED's between rx and gnd and tx and gnd and see if you get blinkinlights with activity.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fonsecajuan06@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Eugene Nine on Tue Mar 3 11:00:30 2020
    On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 10:51:36 AM UTC-3, Eugene Nine wrote:

My last Apple was a ][+,

...but datatransfer to a normal linux computer with kermit was working when I used it last time a few year back.

Olaf

Thanks!

juan

You can test the pc side easy enough by putting a jumper wire between the Tx and Rx of your usb to serial adapter and see the echo of whatever you send out the port.

put a couple LED's between rx and gnd and tx and gnd and see if you get blinkinlights with activity.

yes and that works! That's why Im suspecting the problem is on the HP48GX side (if there's a voltage level missmatch between the serial connections that's out of my scope)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Eugene Nine@21:1/5 to fonsec...@gmail.com on Mon Mar 30 10:50:15 2020
    On Tuesday, March 3, 2020 at 2:00:33 PM UTC-5, fonsec...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Monday, March 2, 2020 at 10:51:36 AM UTC-3, Eugene Nine wrote:

My last Apple was a ][+,

...but datatransfer to a normal linux computer with kermit was working when I used it last time a few year back.

Olaf

Thanks!

juan

yes and that works! That's why Im suspecting the problem is on the HP48GX side (if there's a voltage level missmatch between the serial connections that's out of my scope)

The HP doesn't quite meet rs232 spec of the full +/-12v but it close enough that it works most of the time.
    I assume you changed the48 to use wire and not ir?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05