• Need some help troubleshooting. (UNIX PC, 7300)

From CRD@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 26 20:20:16 2019
    Heyo, No idea if this group is still active, but I'll give it a shot considering I have run out of ideas.

I have a 7300 in my possession, it powers up with fans spinning and I can hear the harddrive being accessed but the CRT lights up to a solid green screen. And I have already reseated all my socketed chips, including the CPU, and traced my connections
    looking for broken traces, vias and bodge wires and found none.

The computer did have loading bars when I originally acquired it, but has since refused to do anything but give a solid green screen.

My question is: What are my options at this point? And is there any fix for this that I haven't tried yet?

Any and all ideas are welcome, I'm at the end of my rope with it as of now.

Thanks, CRD.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From peter@transcend.aero@21:1/5 to CRD on Fri Dec 27 16:05:17 2019
    Do you have a bootable floppy disk?

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, CRD wrote:
    Heyo, No idea if this group is still active, but I'll give it a shot considering I have run out of ideas.

I have a 7300 in my possession, it powers up with fans spinning and I can hear the harddrive being accessed but the CRT lights up to a solid green screen. And I have already reseated all my socketed chips, including the CPU, and traced my connections

The computer did have loading bars when I originally acquired it, but has since refused to do anything but give a solid green screen.

My question is: What are my options at this point? And is there any fix for this that I haven't tried yet?

Thanks, CRD.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From CRD@21:1/5 to All on Fri Dec 27 16:36:04 2019
    The floppy drive seems to function, but I don't have any floppies.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Peter Schmidt@21:1/5 to CRD on Sat Dec 28 09:21:09 2019
    On Friday, December 27, 2019 at 7:36:05 PM UTC-5, CRD wrote:

So when you say "solid green screen", is it truly solid, or is it a bunch of horizontal lines with some small gaps?

I just powered mine up for the first time in several years, and that's what it did. :-/ However, I let it sit for 30 minutes, and then power cycled it, and it came up fine. :-)

So, before we get out oscilloscopes to find out what parts in the power supply on on the moboard are marginal, you might try letting it warm up like I just did.

You are also going to need the admin boot floppy to facilitate trouble-shooting, and so you can park the hard disk's heads before moving the machine. Early MFM drives did not auto-park on power off, and I destroyed the first drive in this machine
    forgetting that, d'oh.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From CRD@21:1/5 to Peter Schmidt on Fri Jan 3 09:15:54 2020
    On Saturday, December 28, 2019 at 12:21:10 PM UTC-5, Peter Schmidt wrote:

So when you say "solid green screen", is it truly solid, or is it a bunch of horizontal lines with some small gaps?

I just powered mine up for the first time in several years, and that's what it did. :-/ However, I let it sit for 30 minutes, and then power cycled it, and it came up fine. :-)

So, before we get out oscilloscopes to find out what parts in the power supply on on the moboard are marginal, you might try letting it warm up like I just did.

You are also going to need the admin boot floppy to facilitate trouble-shooting, and so you can park the hard disk's heads before moving the machine. Early MFM drives did not auto-park on power off, and I destroyed the first drive in this machine
    forgetting that, d'oh.

Thank you for the input.

It is truly solid. Photo here:

https://i.redd.it/0i62yx3dhl841.jpg
    -OR- https://www.reddit.com/user/RetroProcessor18/comments/eji8hx/att_unix_pc_7300_power_up/

I will double check and let the computer run for a time.

I am also concerned as when I acquired the computer it at least started running the loading bars, the hard drive spins up, but I do not know if it is damaged. I do have an adapter board to replace the hard drive in the future.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From peter@transcend.aero@21:1/5 to CRD on Fri Jan 3 12:05:00 2020
    On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 12:15:55 PM UTC-5, CRD wrote:

forgetting that, d'oh.

Thank you for the input.

-OR- https://www.reddit.com/user/RetroProcessor18/comments/eji8hx/att_unix_pc_7300_power_up/

I am also concerned as when I acquired the computer it at least started running the loading bars, the hard drive spins up, but I do not know if it is damaged. I do have an adapter board to replace the hard drive in the future.

This may not be the root cause of the green screen, but the 3B1/7300 will overheat after some smallish number of minutes running with the case off. Mine would go catatonic after as little as 10 minutes. I never managed to get enough cooling air in the
    right places without the case on, but it surely must be doable. Once overheated, I needed to leave it off for like 20 minutes before powering back on, inside the case.

If you can get a cellphone recording of the hard drive noises at power up, I can opine on its health. Put the mic right at the base of the monitor.

—Peter

P.S. Here’s mine right now, running the Office, the Programmer’s Calculator, and GNU emacs :-)
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gLeI4Pc8qiKR3km_RuMXfiwqMBYPMv0h

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Gesswein@21:1/5 to crdollman@gmail.com on Tue Jan 14 01:29:13 2020
    In article <68b37b82-e1c1-4aa7-9a8b-c0eb4005d773@googlegroups.com>,
    CRD <crdollman@gmail.com> wrote:

I have a 7300 in my possession, it powers up with fans spinning and I
    can hear the harddrive being accessed but the CRT lights up to a solid
    green screen. And I have already reseated all my socketed chips,
    including the CPU, and traced my connections looking for broken traces,
    vias and bodge wires and found none.

The computer did have loading bars when I originally acquired it, but
    has since refused to do anything but give a solid green screen.

My question is: What are my options at this point? And is there any fix
    for this that I haven't tried yet?

Thanks, CRD.

From HwNotes in http://www.unixpc.org/3b1/osu/documents/

When the machine is first started, the boot ROM goes though some tests before it tries to boot. If one of these tests fails, the machine halts with the number of the test on the LEDs. The LEDs are behind the gates on the left side of the machine, near the front.

LED 1 Red
    LED 2 Green
    LED 3 Yellow
    LED 4 Red (I guess they ran out of colors)

Test 4 3 2 1 Problem
    1 off off off on Failed telephone initialization
    2 off off on off Failed video RAM test
    3 off off on on Failed map RAM test
    4 off on off off Failed to set map RAM to unity map
    5 off on off on Failed dynamic RAM test
    6 off on on off Failed initialization
    7 off on on on Failed to find loader on disk

I looked at mine. You see them sequence through a couple of the states as
    it runs the tests. At the end they are all on while trying to boot.

My question is: What are my options at this point? And is there any fix
    for this that I haven't tried yet?

What test equipment do you have such as volt meter, scope etc?
    Have you checked voltages?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Convergent MightyFrame@21:1/5 to CRD on Wed Jan 22 21:37:03 2020
    On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-8, CRD wrote:

Thanks, CRD.

CRD, may I ask where you are located? I have a large cache of AT&T Unix PC Parts, and I might be able to help you diagnose... If you are close enough to me, I could be persuaded to make a house call. I split my time between Las Vegas and Central Iowa.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From CRD@21:1/5 to pe...@transcend.aero on Thu Jan 30 07:17:11 2020
    On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 3:05:01 PM UTC-5, pe...@transcend.aero wrote:

forgetting that, d'oh.

Thank you for the input.

This may not be the root cause of the green screen, but the 3B1/7300 will overheat after some smallish number of minutes running with the case off. Mine would go catatonic after as little as 10 minutes. I never managed to get enough cooling air in
    the right places without the case on, but it surely must be doable. Once overheated, I needed to leave it off for like 20 minutes before powering back on, inside the case.

If you can get a cellphone recording of the hard drive noises at power up, I can opine on its health. Put the mic right at the base of the monitor.

—Peter

P.S. Here’s mine right now, running the Office, the Programmer’s Calculator, and GNU emacs :-)

Thank you for the input Peter. I have yet to close up the machine back into it's housing, but I did record the spin up and spin down of the hard drive. It doesn't sound good, but I'm not entirely sure what I am listening for. I hear movement on spin up
    and a faint squealing on spin down. Both can be heard in the video I have linked below.

https://www.reddit.com/user/RetroProcessor18/comments/ew6p81/att_unix_pc_mfm_hard_drive_power_up_power_down/

-CRD

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From CRD@21:1/5 to Convergent MightyFrame on Thu Jan 30 07:11:07 2020
    On Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 12:37:05 AM UTC-5, Convergent MightyFrame wrote:
    On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:20:17 PM UTC-8, CRD wrote:

Thanks, CRD.

CRD, may I ask where you are located? I have a large cache of AT&T Unix PC Parts, and I might be able to help you diagnose... If you are close enough to me, I could be persuaded to make a house call. I split my time between Las Vegas and Central
    Iowa.

I appreciate the offer, I am located in New York, so several hours away from your location in Iowa.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From peter@transcend.aero@21:1/5 to CRD on Thu Jan 30 13:04:54 2020
    On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 10:17:13 AM UTC-5, CRD wrote:
    On Friday, January 3, 2020 at 3:05:01 PM UTC-5, pe...@transcend.aero wrote:

You are also going to need the admin boot floppy to facilitate trouble-shooting, and so you can park the hard disk's heads before moving the machine. Early MFM drives did not auto-park on power off, and I destroyed the first drive in this
    machine forgetting that, d'oh.

Thank you for the input.

This may not be the root cause of the green screen, but the 3B1/7300 will overheat after some smallish number of minutes running with the case off. Mine would go catatonic after as little as 10 minutes. I never managed to get enough cooling air in
    the right places without the case on, but it surely must be doable. Once overheated, I needed to leave it off for like 20 minutes before powering back on, inside the case.

—Peter

Thank you for the input Peter. I have yet to close up the machine back into it's housing, but I did record the spin up and spin down of the hard drive. It doesn't sound good, but I'm not entirely sure what I am listening for. I hear movement on spin up
    and a faint squealing on spin down. Both can be heard in the video I have linked below.

https://www.reddit.com/user/RetroProcessor18/comments/ew6p81/att_unix_pc_mfm_hard_drive_power_up_power_down/

-CRD

The little “Bzzzt” sound at 16s should probably be more like “blurrp-biddle-biddle-biddle,” which is the typical MFM hard drive head calibration (I think that’s what is is doing) on power up. The high pitched, faint scraping sound at 34s could
    be the anti-static tab on the hard drive, but it may also be the read/write heads, having failed to retract properly, scraping on the platters.

So, IMHO there’s a lack of typical healthy MFM drive startup noises, a presence of concerning noises, but not definitive due to competing sounds from floppy and fan(s).

Next step would be to try to boot the diagnostic floppy, I think.

—Peter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From AJ Palmgren@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 3 18:41:31 2021
    CRD, I just messaged you on redditt, and I'm in a good place to follow up with you to provide some help if you still would like it. I see you've posted here recently on other threads, so hopefully you're still out there.

Drop me an email to the address at http://mightyframe.blogspot.com/p/contact.html

Talk soon,
    Best,
    AJ

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05