• Syberia 3 review!

From rms@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jun 2 15:54:28 2017
    Syberia 3
    I played most of the game after patch 1.2 (all-AMD system), so most of the performance issues & bugs in other reviews did not affect me. Using a XB360 controller, the abrupt camera changes on scene switches were quirky but
    easily adapted to, and I only needed a brief glance at the control diagram
    to understand what was asked of me.

Puzzles consist of finding parts for, and manipulating simple mechanical devices, with the 3D addition of having to rotate the camera to locate obstructed hotspots. Hotspots themselves are indicated with white dots onscreen, which take some practice to locate.

So how is it? None of the puzzles are intellectually difficult, nor do conversation choices have any effect on gameplay. Graphics are competent,
    but uninspiring, with small levels and a limited camera that discourages sight-seeing. There's little text to read for background, characters are
    very cliched (especially the 'native' youkols and the villians), the story
    as a whole is overly linear and simplified.

Basically, consolization and a limited budget are much in evidence: A tepid experience with a much-muted wonder and emotional impact of the previous titles; not enough to warrant a thumbs down, but not good enough for non-diehard fans either. Syberia 3 didn't quite kill off my interest in
    this series, but it came close :) With plenty of dangling plot threads,
    and a still-strong mythos, hopefully a Syberia 4 will gather enough funding
    for a higher-quality production! I'll buy it for sure.

Next up: Day of the Tentacle Remastered!

rms

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Trimble Bracegirdle@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jun 4 03:07:34 2017
    Thanks rms .
    I'm put of Syberia 3 ...but am really going to try Syberia 2 again.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") mouse (Puzzle Is How Useless He is At Puzzles ?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From PW@21:1/5 to rsquiresMOO@MOOyossmanMOO.net on Tue Jun 20 15:48:34 2017
    On Fri, 2 Jun 2017 15:54:28 -0600, "rms"
    <rsquiresMOO@MOOyossmanMOO.net> wrote:

Syberia 3
    I played most of the game after patch 1.2 (all-AMD system), so most of the >performance issues & bugs in other reviews did not affect me. Using a XB360 >controller, the abrupt camera changes on scene switches were quirky but >easily adapted to, and I only needed a brief glance at the control diagram
    to understand what was asked of me.

Puzzles consist of finding parts for, and manipulating simple mechanical >devices, with the 3D addition of having to rotate the camera to locate >obstructed hotspots. Hotspots themselves are indicated with white dots >onscreen, which take some practice to locate.

So how is it? None of the puzzles are intellectually difficult, nor do >conversation choices have any effect on gameplay. Graphics are competent, >but uninspiring, with small levels and a limited camera that discourages >sight-seeing. There's little text to read for background, characters are >very cliched (especially the 'native' youkols and the villians), the story
    as a whole is overly linear and simplified.

Basically, consolization and a limited budget are much in evidence: A tepid >experience with a much-muted wonder and emotional impact of the previous >titles; not enough to warrant a thumbs down, but not good enough for >non-diehard fans either. Syberia 3 didn't quite kill off my interest in
    this series, but it came close :) With plenty of dangling plot threads,
    and a still-strong mythos, hopefully a Syberia 4 will gather enough funding >for a higher-quality production! I'll buy it for sure.

I was bumbed to read that PC Gamer gave it a 30 rating. My wife and I
    loved playing the first two. Oh well.

Next up: Day of the Tentacle Remastered!

rms

Me too! And Edith Rinch.

-pw
    -pw

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05