• Re: RIVEN SUCKS WORSE THAN MYST, AND MYST !SUCKED! BIG TIME!!

From Mark Gerlach@21:1/5 to Dllem on Thu Apr 14 14:46:36 2022
    On Wednesday, November 19, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Dllem wrote:
    If you have never played any other games before, you might think
    it is pretty good!!
    Never thought of that :o)
    heh..

_ _
    +---ooo---ooo-----------+
    Remove the i from the
    email address to reply

*smile*

+--==--==--=-=--==--==--+
    MYST holds a special place of nostalgia for those of us who craved accessible content in the '90s, but that does not mean the franchise gets a “free pass” from criticism or exemption from censorship. The games still employed sexist tropes and game
    mechanics that enforced/internalized misogynistic ideology (granted, to a lesser degree than other games at the time) in the individual minds that were participating in this male-created adventure. The supplemental books and comics that were released
    were a little better in their depiction/treatment of female characters, but not by much, and managed to gain a cult-like following amongst the less developed minds of that generation. It would have been better for all if MYST was sequestered to the
    nostalgic past, but in the last two decades, there have been attempts to resurrect the franchise onto the "big screen" in the form of a movie or series. These attempts have mostly self-destructed under poor management, but the project keeps getting
    passed to larger studios, and I would be lying if I said I was not worried about the continued proliferation of '90s era game misogyny in modern media. We were too late to stop another Mortal Kombat and a Halo series, but we can stop this. If you
    consider yourself to be a feminist, please consider searching for (and signing) the “Stop movie based sexist Myst video game series" on Change . org that calls for the ceasing of “any-and-all progress on creating a movie or TV series based on the
    misogynistic video game franchise of Myst" (Or search for “Myst is sexist” as an easier keyword search).
    Even if they modernize the content for the movie or series, people will possibly want to explore the source material and ingest the inherent sexism therein. It must end. As my favorite line in the new Star Wars movies suggests, we must "let the past die.
    Kill it, if you have to."
    Please note, that I am not the author of the petition, but I do believe in it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From S P@21:1/5 to Mark Gerlach on Wed Jun 1 16:08:08 2022
    On Thursday, April 14, 2022 at 5:46:37 PM UTC-4, Mark Gerlach wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 19, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Dllem wrote:
    If you have never played any other games before, you might think
    it is pretty good!!
    Never thought of that :o)
    heh..

_ _
    +---ooo---ooo-----------+
    Remove the i from the
    email address to reply

*smile*

+--==--==--=-=--==--==--+
    MYST holds a special place of nostalgia for those of us who craved accessible content in the '90s, but that does not mean the franchise gets a “free pass” from criticism or exemption from censorship. The games still employed sexist tropes and game
    mechanics that enforced/internalized misogynistic ideology (granted, to a lesser degree than other games at the time) in the individual minds that were participating in this male-created adventure. The supplemental books and comics that were released
    were a little better in their depiction/treatment of female characters, but not by much, and managed to gain a cult-like following amongst the less developed minds of that generation. It would have been better for all if MYST was sequestered to the
    nostalgic past, but in the last two decades, there have been attempts to resurrect the franchise onto the "big screen" in the form of a movie or series. These attempts have mostly self-destructed under poor management, but the project keeps getting
    passed to larger studios, and I would be lying if I said I was not worried about the continued proliferation of '90s era game misogyny in modern media. We were too late to stop another Mortal Kombat and a Halo series, but we can stop this. If you
    consider yourself to be a feminist, please consider searching for (and signing) the “Stop movie based sexist Myst video game series" on Change . org that calls for the ceasing of “any-and-all progress on creating a movie or TV series based on the
    misogynistic video game franchise of Myst" (Or search for “Myst is sexist” as an easier keyword search).
    Even if they modernize the content for the movie or series, people will possibly want to explore the source material and ingest the inherent sexism therein. It must end. As my favorite line in the new Star Wars movies suggests, we must "let the past
    die. Kill it, if you have to."
    Please note, that I am not the author of the petition, but I do believe in it.
    I've heard of necrothreading but this is the most egregious example of it I've ever seen... Many of the people in the original thread are probably already dead Mark...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)