• Hello from 9640 News

From Mike Powell@21:1/175.3 to Beery Miller on Thu Jan 4 18:45:00 2018
    The board is running on a Win10-64 machine using Mystic BBS software. I have a TI-99/4A and a Geneve 9640 both with Myarc HFDC's and hard drives, however, have concerns the MFM hard drives may not be sufficiently reliable to stay online running around
    the clock. Those drives are about 30 years old and difficult to replace now.

No joke. I have a now 30 year old XT machine with a RLL HD that I am leary
    of leaving running too long.

I am hoping the TIPI project that will interface with a Raspberry PI may provide some options for file access and storage. Both my TI and Geneve have ethernet/telnet access with the Lantronix UDS-10 and a WiFiRS232 modem.

I will have to give that TIPI project a google search here shortly.

When I was a kid and we first got the 4A, we did not have the expansion
    system. Just a cassette player. Oh, yeah, and the speach synth. We'd
    hook it up to old color TVs until the vertical hold would go out... always
    the same way, so I don't think those TVs like the 4A too much!

A few recent years ago, I finally got an expansion system with a floppy,
    and a compatable Hitachi monitor. I have not fired it up in quite a while, though. The XT is on a computer stand next to me here in the home office, while the 4A is on a table behind me. :)

---
    * SLMR 2.1a * "When you have a rib-eye steak, you must floss it!"-Homer

--- GTMail 1.26
    * Origin: moe's tavern * 1-502-875-8938 * moetiki.ddns.net (21:1/175.3)
  • From Beery@21:4/109 to Mike Powell on Sat Jan 6 06:12:52 2018
    Yeah, those were the good ole days.

I was in college before I finally got a TI-99/4A with a casette recorder. Pretty much, my first program I sat down and wrote was a very poor man's version of pacman in extended basic. Sometime over the next 6 months or so,
    I was able to get a standalone disk drive.

About a year later, I remember my mother and I going to Sears when TI was dumping systems. I did not know TI was getting out of the market. I picked
    up a fully loaded Expansion box with 32K, RS232, Floppy disk drive and controller for something like $200.

It took me weeks to get my Pacman program moved over because of its file size.

Sometime later, I finally got a 300 baud modem and eventually discovered the town I was going to college had a Users Group. I eventually hooked up with some of the leaders of the group and was able to check out software from
    their software library.

My first TI Faire was the last year the Chicago Users group hosted one at Trident College. I think the Geneve was just then being discussed. Their
    were new DSR eproms being released for the CorComp floppy disk controller and Bud Mills was then offering complete board and chip components for the
    Horizon Ramdisk.

That was the good ole days.

Beery

--Beery Miller -- 9640 News BBS -- 9640news.ddns.net:9640 --

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A38 2018/01/01 (Windows/64)
    * Origin: 9640 News BBS (21:4/109)