• Most batteries don't work in Apple Magic Mouse

From Jack Taylor@21:1/5 to jeremy...@gmail.com on Sat Apr 24 11:38:49 2021
    On Saturday, 18 April 2020 at 05:26:03 UTC+1, jeremy...@gmail.com wrote:
    I figured it out! I finally got my eneloop pros to work with my Magic Mouse!

I too was having the same problem where my regular Eneloops were working with my Magic Mouse, but my Eneloop pros refused to work no matter what. No matter what I did, the Eneloop pros would not get that green light to turn on.
    So I decided to have a good long hard look at the mouse and the batteries. Then the light bulb hit.

h...@brettpeary.com was right, the nubs on the Eneloop PRO are too short. The only reason why it does not work with the Magic Mouse is because of the design. The area where the nub (positive end) is meant to go into, has a recess. This recess is too
    deep the nub to reach all the way in. So no matter the overall length of the AA, if the nub is too short, it isn't going to make contact because of the recess.

I fixed this problem by filling the recess with foil. Works like a dream now.

This just worked for me. I initially was trying to make up for the gap with foil at the negative end, didn't work. I didn't think filling the recess with foil would make a difference but it does. I'm using Amazon Rechargables (possibly rebranded Eneloops
    like Apples?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Marc Sadamme@21:1/5 to Jack Taylor on Mon Jul 5 00:46:38 2021
    Jack Taylor schrieb am Samstag, 24. April 2021 um 20:38:50 UTC+2:

I too was having the same problem where my regular Eneloops were working with my Magic Mouse, but my Eneloop pros refused to work no matter what. No matter what I did, the Eneloop pros would not get that green light to turn on.
    So I decided to have a good long hard look at the mouse and the batteries. Then the light bulb hit.

h...@brettpeary.com was right, the nubs on the Eneloop PRO are too short. The only reason why it does not work with the Magic Mouse is because of the design. The area where the nub (positive end) is meant to go into, has a recess. This recess is too
    deep the nub to reach all the way in. So no matter the overall length of the AA, if the nub is too short, it isn't going to make contact because of the recess.

This just worked for me. I initially was trying to make up for the gap with foil at the negative end, didn't work. I didn't think filling the recess with foil would make a difference but it does. I'm using Amazon Rechargables (possibly rebranded
    Eneloops like Apples?)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Marc Sadamme@21:1/5 to Jack Taylor on Mon Jul 5 00:45:24 2021
    Jack Taylor schrieb am Samstag, 24. April 2021 um 20:38:50 UTC+2:

This just worked for me. I initially was trying to make up for the gap with foil at the negative end, didn't work. I didn't think filling the recess with foil would make a difference but it does. I'm using Amazon Rechargables (possibly rebranded
    Eneloops like Apples?)
    The foil solution works (in my case: same odd magic mouse problem here: regular Batteries work, none of my rechargables did, making the transformation into a less consumptious world really hard), allthough the rechargables are longer:
    after closer inspection it turned out: the rechargables nub is too BROAD/thick compared with the regulars. That's what it needs the foil bridge for at the positive end. Holding the mouse upright while inserting foil and batteries took only two attempts
    to make it all fit in and: finally work.
    This kept me busy for some weeks now, trying different rechargables and borrowing neighbours chargers unwilling to buy regular batteries again …
    Thanks for bringing me on the right track with the foil idea!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ross Boone@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 8 08:25:38 2022
    Yep, most batteries nubs are too short. found some tin foil to fill the gap between the nubs and the contact and finally got the green light!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Your Name@21:1/5 to Ross Boone on Tue Aug 9 09:28:12 2022
    On 2022-08-08 15:25:38 +0000, Ross Boone said:

Yep, most batteries nubs are too short. found some tin foil to fill the
    gap between the nubs and the contact and finally got the green light!

The problem is the supposed battery "standards" (AA, AAA, 9-volt, etc.)
    are not even remotely actually standard - the various makers do
    different things. Batteries not fitting properly is certainly not
    unique to Apple's devices.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Brooks@21:1/5 to Ross Boone on Tue Aug 9 11:16:15 2022
    On 08/08/2022 16:25, Ross Boone wrote:
    Yep, most batteries nubs are too short. found some tin foil to fill the gap between the nubs and the contact and finally got the green light!

What prompted you to respond to such an old post, Ross?

Regardless, it's good to hear that you got your old Magic Mouse to
    function. The newer ones, of course, are themselves 'chargeable'!

--
    Kind regards,
    David B.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Myron Rosenberg@21:1/5 to All on Wed Jan 4 00:51:05 2023
    After reading through this thread, and having experienced a failure of rechargeable batteries not working in my Magic Mouse I, I reflected that they did work in my TV remote, suggesting that they had a charge. Here's the solution that I discovered, and
    how. I just posted this on Facebook. I'd like to hear that it NOW helps.
    To whom it may concern:
    I have a (wireless) Magic Mouse I for my Mac computer. Fatiguing from changing its AA batteries and, coincidentally and inadvertently, running out of them, I ordered some rechargeable batteries online. They did not work in the mouse, but they did work in
    my TV remote. This told me that they had a charge and, after a few days of repeated attempts to get them to work in my mouse, I went looking', both online. There, I saw comments that some batteries didn't work in the mouse, and I wondered why, if they,
    indeed, had a charge.
    In the vernacular of the space age, and in deference to U.S. Astronauts, I buckled down and 'worked the problem'. In scrutinizing the rechargeable one, I noticed it had a subtle difference from the normal battery. The bottom was a bit flatter, and the
    positive post was not as pronounced. Somewhere, I saw where someone had suggested using aluminum foil to assure connectivity. After the addition of small balled pieces at that diminutive end, WHALLAH!
    If even one of you is helped by this, and don't go out and buy a ton of disposable batteries, I'd be pleased to know. I was all set to invest in the newest rechargeable mouse, plus the wall plug (which doesn't come with it. So I've saved $85...and I hear
    this mouse is only good for 3 years, with it's rechargeable battery not being replaceable... That phrase, 'WORK THE PROBLEM', from 'Apollo 13' stuck in my head!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jonathan Machado@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 14 02:54:02 2023
    For me is clear that the Nubs on the positive side are too short. Some batteries do not work.
    In my case, only the right side of the mouse is not connecting (+ side), because of the short nub. I have two types of rechargeable AA Battery, one with long nub (old) that I use on the right side and a short one in the left.
    I'm thinking of putting some solder to fix the issue.

Regards,

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05