• GS Magic Smoke

From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jun 20 17:44:09 2022
    I was trying to update the firmware in my GS tonight and the magic smoke escaped. Has anybody bought the Universai Power Supply Kit from Reactive Micro? If so was it as easy to install as they say on their website?

I won't be buying it any time soon, but I thought I'd solicit comments and maybe any other ideas about fixing/replacing the GS power supply. Before anyone suggests recapping the one I have realize that as my wife says I can't turn a hammer or swing a
    wrench.

Any helpful suggestions will be wlcome.
    magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Schmidt@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Tue Jun 21 00:53:49 2022
    On 6/20/22 8:44 PM, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    [...]
    I won't be buying it any time soon, but I thought I'd solicit comments and maybe any other ideas about fixing/replacing the GS power supply. Before anyone suggests recapping the one I have realize that as my wife says I can't turn a hammer or swing a
    wrench.

You don't need either a hammer or a wrench, but you would need to know
    which end of a soldering iron to hold in order to fix that power supply.
    There's one component that pops, the X2 filter capacitor, that needs replacement - it will be obvious once you open the metal housing which
    is that component. But in the mean time, besides the smell, there
    really isn't much danger in continuing to run that power supply even
    with the blown filter cap...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to schmidtd on Tue Jun 21 12:24:10 2022
    On Monday, June 20, 2022 at 11:53:54 PM UTC-5, schmidtd wrote:

which end of a soldering iron to hold in order to fix that power supply. There's one component that pops, the X2 filter capacitor, that needs replacement - it will be obvious once you open the metal housing which

Something else must be blown in there because It's Dead, Jim. I just tried turning it on to see if I could still run it and nothing. I'm not very good at soldering, that was what the 'turn a hammer or swing a wrench' was meant to imply. Besides I haven't
    done any soldering in over 50 years. So I guess my best bet is to eventually get the Universal Power Supply Kit from Reactive Micro. In the meantime I guess I'll use KEGS to run GS software on my Mac. Unless there is some infitesimally small chance that
    Sheppy, or someone else, can update Sweet 16. That is by far my favorite GS emulator. And, of course, there is Virtual II to run all my standard Apple II software. Unless I dfig out the IIc+ with the FloppyEMU.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Finnigan@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Wed Jun 22 00:34:41 2022
    magnusfalkirk wrote:
    I was trying to update the firmware in my GS tonight and the magic smoke escaped.

What a coincidence! I had a Mac 128K powered on just two evenings ago and
    its magic smoke escaped too. That was some bad juju. It gave me a headache.
    :-/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Wed Jun 22 14:42:31 2022
    magnusfalkirk <dean.phares@gmail.com> wrote:

which end of a soldering iron to hold in order to fix that power supply.
    There's one component that pops, the X2 filter capacitor, that needs
    replacement - it will be obvious once you open the metal housing which

Something else must be blown in there because It's Dead, Jim. I just
    tried turning it on to see if I could still run it and nothing. I'm not
    very good at soldering, that was what the 'turn a hammer or swing a
    wrench' was meant to imply. Besides I haven't done any soldering in over
    50 years. So I guess my best bet is to eventually get the Universal Power Supply Kit from Reactive Micro. In the meantime I guess I'll use KEGS to
    run GS software on my Mac. Unless there is some infitesimally small
    chance that Sheppy, or someone else, can update Sweet 16. That is by far
    my favorite GS emulator. And, of course, there is Virtual II to run all
    my standard Apple II software. Unless I dfig out the IIc+ with the FloppyEMU.

It is likely, then, that when the X2 capacitor failed, the momentary short caused the power supply’s fuse to blow—also easily replaced by someone willing and able to do it. So if you replace the power supply, try to get
    the failed one to someone who can repair it (and I don’t mean a full re-capping!).

--
    -michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://michaeljmahon.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Wed Jul 6 20:00:12 2022
    On Wednesday, June 22, 2022 at 2:42:39 PM UTC-5, Michael J. Mahon wrote:
    magnusfalkirk <dean....@gmail.com> wrote:

which end of a soldering iron to hold in order to fix that power supply. >> There's one component that pops, the X2 filter capacitor, that needs
    replacement - it will be obvious once you open the metal housing which

Something else must be blown in there because It's Dead, Jim. I just
    tried turning it on to see if I could still run it and nothing. I'm not very good at soldering, that was what the 'turn a hammer or swing a wrench' was meant to imply. Besides I haven't done any soldering in over 50 years. So I guess my best bet is to eventually get the Universal Power Supply Kit from Reactive Micro. In the meantime I guess I'll use KEGS to run GS software on my Mac. Unless there is some infitesimally small
    chance that Sheppy, or someone else, can update Sweet 16. That is by far my favorite GS emulator. And, of course, there is Virtual II to run all
    my standard Apple II software. Unless I dfig out the IIc+ with the FloppyEMU.

It is likely, then, that when the X2 capacitor failed, the momentary short caused the power supply’s fuse to blow—also easily replaced by someone willing and able to do it. So if you replace the power supply, try to get the failed one to someone who can repair it (and I don’t mean a full re-capping!).

--
    -michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://michaeljmahon.com

I'd like to thank David Schmidt for taking the time to repair the power supply in my GS for me. I know, had I tried to do it, I more likely than not would have either burned myself with the soldering iron or somehow manage to destroy the mother board. I'
    ve found that there are a lot of great people in the Apple II community and one of these years I'm actually going to make it to Kansasfest to meet many more. When Apple came out with their 'Think Different' slogan I decided to make it perfect 'Think
    Different - Apple II Forever!'. That defintely applies to this group.
    magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05