• Volume recovery

From Steven Nelson@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 18 19:24:58 2022
    I have somehow corrupted the volumes on my IIe CFFA card. Is there anyway to recover the volumes? Prosel-MrFixit aborts when it tries. Can a CFFA3000 use a CF card from the CFFA (v1.2)? What recovery tools are available for the IIGS? Do I need to
    put the CFFA in a GS in order to access the partitions? Or is the CFFA3000 smart enough to use the CF as is?
    TIA, Steve

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From I am Rob@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 18 21:22:13 2022
    I have somehow corrupted the volumes on my IIe CFFA card. Is there anyway to recover the volumes? Prosel-MrFixit aborts when it tries. Can a CFFA3000 use a CF card from the CFFA (v1.2)? What recovery tools are available for the IIGS? Do I need to put
    the CFFA in a GS in order to access the partitions? Or is the CFFA3000 smart enough to use the CF as is?

SALVATION is a recovery tool that runs on the IIGS.

Read through the CFFA manual. There is a dip switch that can make the CFFA 3000 act like an older CFFA version.

Up to 4 partitions are recognized on the SmartPort under Prodos 8. For more than 4 partitions requires GSOS.

If you accidentally formatted the Volume Directory, then you need a program that can find Subdirectory headers, which can be recreated in the Volume Directory, and a file's master block for those non-directory files that are in the Volume directory as
    well. Master blocks do not need to be re-created for files that are in subdirectory's as they are still connected. And the VBM (volume bitmap) will need to have all the used blocks reset again. Which means, under no circumstances, save anything to
    those volumes until everything is fully recovered. You will know if volumes are fully recovered when you do a CATALOG and the BLOCKS USED is close to what you remember it being.

Use Glen Bredon's "Block.Warden" to scan your partitions to see if you can locate any data or subdirectory headers to even know if the volumes can even be resurrected.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)