• wDrive for the Apple II

From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 19 11:57:41 2021
    Does anybody know much about this drive? I ran across a comment about it when I was reading a post about the FloppyEMU. I found a link to the home page of the group that makes it, but the page said that site had been shut down and supplied a link to a
    Facebook page. I checked it out but there really isn't a lot of info on it.

So my question actually is twofold: first does anybody know anything about this drive? Second is it worth buying and how much does it cost.

Thanks in advance for any help,
    Magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 19 21:15:40 2021
    No. Pick any other device. The CFFA3000 is coming back on market. The FloppyEMU, BOOTi, and MD/T are also all great in different ways.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Piltz@21:1/5 to qkumba on Mon Jun 21 01:41:10 2021
    On Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 9:15:41 PM UTC-7, qkumba wrote:
    No. Pick any other device. The CFFA3000 is coming back on market. The FloppyEMU, BOOTi, and MD/T are also all great in different ways.

Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the CFFA3000 retail for back in the day? $225 seems quite high.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Steven Hirsch@21:1/5 to Bob Piltz on Mon Jun 21 09:35:54 2021
    On 6/21/21 4:41 AM, Bob Piltz wrote:
    No. Pick any other device. The CFFA3000 is coming back on market. The
    FloppyEMU, BOOTi, and MD/T are also all great in different ways.

Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the CFFA3000 retail for back in the
    day? $225 seems quite high.

Henry provides an invaluable service to the A2 community and I would never begrudge him a chance to recoup the considerable investment he's made in time and money. I doubt Rich Dreher was doing more than just breaking even at the original price, which probably had a lot to do with his decision to get out of the business.

I'm just happy to see a continuing source for this device!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Todd Holcomb@21:1/5 to Bob Piltz on Mon Jun 21 06:33:43 2021
    On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 3:41:22 AM UTC-5, Bob Piltz wrote:

Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the CFFA3000 retail for back in the day? $225 seems quite high.

It's reasonable - I paid $200 for my CFFA3000 + remote from R&D Automation 3 years ago.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From D Finnigan@21:1/5 to Bob Piltz on Tue Jun 22 00:44:01 2021
    Bob Piltz wrote:

Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the CFFA3000 retail for back in the
    day? $225 seems quite high.

It's worth the money if you use your Apple more than a few times a year.
    Since I got a CFFA3000 a few years ago, I have basically never connected any external drives to my Apple.

--
    ]DF$
    The New Apple II User's Guide:
    https://macgui.com/newa2guide/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Bob Piltz@21:1/5 to D Finnigan on Mon Jun 21 21:15:38 2021
    On Monday, June 21, 2021 at 5:44:03 PM UTC-7, D Finnigan wrote:
    Bob Piltz wrote:

It's worth the money if you use your Apple more than a few times a year. Since I got a CFFA3000 a few years ago, I have basically never connected any external drives to my Apple.

--
    ]DF$
    The New Apple II User's Guide:
    https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
    Seems like it would be enormously useful, for one who only owned a Duodisk for the last ~38 years. As to USB flash card compatibility, I take it only FAT16 partitions are recognized, and obviously the .HDV volume size is still limited to 32MB or 65535
    ProDOS blocks? I can't imagine these limits have been somehow circumvented by the firmare. Mention is made of possible .WOZ support, but also, it is probably currently not possible to image and read non-16 sector disk formats and / or fancy things like 1/
    2 or 1/4 track stepping? How is DOS 3.3 compatibility? Is booting DOS 3.3 images supported? How about 40-track .DSK images?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Lee@21:1/5 to Bob Piltz on Tue Jun 22 20:41:35 2021
    On 2021-06-22 04:15:38 +0000, Bob Piltz said:

Bob Piltz wrote:> > On Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 9:15:41 PM UTC-7,
    qkumba wrote:> >> No. Pick any other device. The CFFA3000 is coming
    back on market. The> >> FloppyEMU, BOOTi, and MD/T are also all great
    in different ways.> >> > Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the
    CFFA3000 retail for back in the> > day? $225 seems quite high.> >
    It's worth the money if you use your Apple more than a few times a
    year.> Since I got a CFFA3000 a few years ago, I have basically never
    connected any> external drives to my Apple.>> --> ]DF$> The New Apple
    II User's Guide:> https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
    Seems like it would be enormously useful, for one who only owned a
    Duodisk for the last ~38 years. As to USB flash card compatibility, I
    take it only FAT16 partitions are recognized, and obviously the .HDV
    volume size is still limited to 32MB or 65535 ProDOS blocks? I can't
    imagine these limits have been somehow circumvented by the firmare.
    Mention is made of possible .WOZ support, but also, it is probably
    currently not possible to image and read non-16 sector disk formats and
    / or fancy things like 1/2 or 1/4 track stepping? How is DOS 3.3 compatibility? Is booting DOS 3.3 images supported? How about 40-track
    .DSK images?

DOS 3.3 compatibility is great with the CFFA3000 – whatever is on a
    .dsk image will run on a CFFA3K. It does full emulation of a 5.25" disk
    drive and allows you to mount up to 16 Smartport images all at the same
    time. Don't know about 13 sector disks and it won't circumvent 1/2 or
    1/4 track stepping – perhaps when and if .woz support is added.

Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to Alex Lee on Wed Jun 23 07:05:49 2021
    On Tuesday, June 22, 2021 at 5:41:38 AM UTC-5, Alex Lee wrote:
    On 2021-06-22 04:15:38 +0000, Bob Piltz said:

Bob Piltz wrote:> > On Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 9:15:41 PM UTC-7,
    qkumba wrote:> >> No. Pick any other device. The CFFA3000 is coming
    back on market. The> >> FloppyEMU, BOOTi, and MD/T are also all great
    in different ways.> >> > Is $225 a reasonable price? What did the
    CFFA3000 retail for back in the> > day? $225 seems quite high.> >
    It's worth the money if you use your Apple more than a few times a
    year.> Since I got a CFFA3000 a few years ago, I have basically never
    connected any> external drives to my Apple.>> --> ]DF$> The New Apple
    II User's Guide:> https://macgui.com/newa2guide/
    Seems like it would be enormously useful, for one who only owned a
    Duodisk for the last ~38 years. As to USB flash card compatibility, I
    take it only FAT16 partitions are recognized, and obviously the .HDV volume size is still limited to 32MB or 65535 ProDOS blocks? I can't imagine these limits have been somehow circumvented by the firmare. Mention is made of possible .WOZ support, but also, it is probably currently not possible to image and read non-16 sector disk formats and
    / or fancy things like 1/2 or 1/4 track stepping? How is DOS 3.3 compatibility? Is booting DOS 3.3 images supported? How about 40-track .DSK images?
    DOS 3.3 compatibility is great with the CFFA3000 – whatever is on a
    .dsk image will run on a CFFA3K. It does full emulation of a 5.25" disk drive and allows you to mount up to 16 Smartport images all at the same time. Don't know about 13 sector disks and it won't circumvent 1/2 or
    1/4 track stepping – perhaps when and if .woz support is added.

Alex

My original question, that seems to have gotten lost in the conversation, is if anyone has heard or knows anything about the wDrive for the Apple II. I was reading some discussions about the Floppy EMU and saw a comment about the wDrive also being able
    to be hooked up, via Smartport, and working with the //e. //c and IIGS. So I thought I would ask the community at large about it. I already have a CFFA 3000, it's in my GS. What I'm looking for is something to be able to add to my //c to run disk images
    from.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cybernesto@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Thu Jun 24 18:59:03 2021
    magnusfalkirk wrote:
    So my question actually is twofold: first does anybody know anything about this drive? Second is it worth buying and how much does it cost.

I have one and I love it! It supports dsk, po, nib and woz files in Disk II emulation mode. HDV files set it automatically to smartport mode, without needing to restart, reset or reconfigure it. This is something that the FloppyEMU cannot do.
    I bought mine some time back as it came with an LCD for about 70$. Later
    models have an OLED display. If you don't want to use the small keys or read the small text on the screen, there is an on screen menu that appears when
    no image is selected. This menu also allows you to boot woz images using
    Anti-M for those games that were not compatible with later Apple II models.
    It also features a shortcut to do fast disk copies using Locksmith.
    I really hope that the store goes back online. I have been following the facebook site for some time and not much has happened. I would like to get a second one, and I would really recommend it to any fellow enthusiast.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to cybernesto on Fri Jun 25 11:51:17 2021
    On Thursday, June 24, 2021 at 1:59:05 PM UTC-5, cybernesto wrote:
    magnusfalkirk wrote:
    I have one and I love it! It supports dsk, po, nib and woz files in Disk II emulation mode. HDV files set it automatically to smartport mode, without needing to restart, reset or reconfigure it. This is something that the FloppyEMU cannot do.
    I bought mine some time back as it came with an LCD for about 70$. Later models have an OLED display. If you don't want to use the small keys or read the small text on the screen, there is an on screen menu that appears when no image is selected. This menu also allows you to boot woz images using Anti-M for those games that were not compatible with later Apple II models. It also features a shortcut to do fast disk copies using Locksmith.
    I really hope that the store goes back online. I have been following the facebook site for some time and not much has happened. I would like to get a second one, and I would really recommend it to any fellow enthusiast.

I contacted them via email and got quoted $74 for the led version, $79 for the oled version and $18 for the adapter to hook it up to the //c. Thank you for the information that was what I wanted to know. Based on what you have to say about it I just sent
    him an email asking how to go about ordering one. I'll let you know when I hear from him.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From can7700@gmail.com@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Thu Jul 1 06:52:32 2021
    On Wednesday, June 23, 2021 at 11:05:51 AM UTC-3, magnusfalkirk wrote:

My original question, that seems to have gotten lost in the conversation, is if anyone has heard or knows anything about the wDrive for the Apple II. I was reading some discussions about the Floppy EMU and saw a comment about the wDrive also being able
    to be hooked up, via Smartport, and working with the //e. //c and IIGS. So I thought I would ask the community at large about it. I already have a CFFA 3000, it's in my GS. What I'm looking for is something to be able to add to my //c to run disk images
    from.

I'd personally get a Floppy Emu. For a Smartport-enabled IIc, it's really all you will ever need.
    You can run hard drive images, .hdv and .2mg, plus 800K .po images, 143K .dsk images, and now apparently it has .woz support.

And it's a great product, reliable, proven and buying it supports a "local" entrepreneur here in North America.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05