• ProDOS port bug report

From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 16 17:57:16 2021
    Regarding Pool of Radiance and the black squares, in retrospect I should have created an empty save disk.
    I can't be sure that the test character on the disk is actually good quality.
    I suggest instead to create a new character and see if the problem shows up again.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From alupin65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to qkumba on Thu Sep 16 19:13:58 2021
    On Friday, September 17, 2021 at 8:57:18 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:
    Regarding Pool of Radiance and the black squares, in retrospect I should have created an empty save disk.
    I can't be sure that the test character on the disk is actually good quality. I suggest instead to create a new character and see if the problem shows up again.

Indeed. I have actually created a new one to play but could not find that training area. Heck, it even took me a while to figure out how to delete a character :-D

Anyways. I will play with it more and let you know my finding later. Might need a few days to do that.

BTW, in case anyone here is also into AD&D, the ultimate goal for me is to create something like this for AppleWin: http://gbc.zorbus.net/ If only I had had something like that long long time ago *sigh*

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 17 16:13:19 2021
    Thanks, I look forward to the report.
    We're getting closer to a collection. Curse of the Azure Bonds boots. I'm just working to remove the prompts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alupin65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to qkumba on Mon Sep 20 05:04:12 2021
    On Saturday, September 18, 2021 at 7:13:21 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:
    Thanks, I look forward to the report.
    We're getting closer to a collection. Curse of the Azure Bonds boots. I'm just working to remove the prompts.

Awesome!

As for PoR, I now believe it has something to do with the ProDOS version:
    1. I am using AppleWin v1.30.4.0. No command-line parameters.
    2. If I just boot from your .po disk everything seems alright (see reproduction steps below).
    3. However, if I transfer the full content to my 2nd HD (S7/D2) and boot from my 1st HD (ProDOS v2.0.3), I can now reliably reproduce the problem.
    4. I see you are using v1.8. I got the same problem with v1.9. However, there seems no problems with JB's v2.4.2

Reproduction steps:
    1. After the game is fully loaded (run loader.system, Y for sound, N for joystick, Y for fast mode (my ApplWin is running at 3MHz)), choose "Play Game"
    2. Choose "Load Saved Game" -> "Yes", and then "Begin Adventuring"
    3. The first item "MOVE" in the bottom is now selected. Press return to use "I,J,K,M" to move.
    4. In the middle you can see your direction which is W(est) now. Hit J twice to see the door and use I to exit.
    5. K to face S(outh), I to move forward to (0:15 6,1), J to face E(ast) and I to enter.
    6. This is the dueling ground. Just follow the prompt to get TEST into a duel.

Expected results: you can see your character in full with a black square background. If you hit return on MOVE and use the "3" key you can move it to its opponent on the right.

Problem encountered: with ProDOS v1.9 & v2.0.3 you can only see a black square, Nor can you see your opponent in full.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Mon Sep 20 10:57:35 2021
    That is a superb bug report! Unfortunately, I still can't reproduce the effect using v1.9.
    I suspect an uninitialised memory location, based on that description.
    Could you share with me a save-state before accepting the duel, and the hard-disk image?
    I want to do a side-by-side debugging with my working version to see where they differ.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alupin65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to qkumba on Mon Sep 20 19:28:46 2021
    On Tuesday, September 21, 2021 at 1:57:36 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:
    That is a superb bug report! Unfortunately, I still can't reproduce the effect using v1.9.
    I suspect an uninitialised memory location, based on that description.
    Could you share with me a save-state before accepting the duel, and the hard-disk image?
    I want to do a side-by-side debugging with my working version to see where they differ.

I can do that, but need your help finding a place to upload my save-state file.

Also, I am able to trim down the SW env further to reproduce this issue:
    1. S6/D1: the ProDOS v1.9 (my disk is "525-Apple II System Utilities v3.2 (ProDOS8 v1.9 1990).dsk", probably from https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/masters/prodos/Apple%20II%20System%20Utilities%20v3.2%20%28ProDOS8%20v1.9%201990%
    29.dsk )
    2. S7/D1: your .po image

Since you disk is bootable, I need to do Ctrl-F2 during power on to interrupt it and boot the floppy. I also did a comparison using the same method and can confirm JB's v2.4.2 does NOT have this problem.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 21 09:52:17 2021
    Yes! I see it now. Thanks, I will fix it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 21 10:51:11 2021
    Fixed. http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/tmp/pool%20of%20radiance%20PRODOS%20(san%20inc%20crack).zip

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 21 10:44:31 2021
    It's uninitialised memory that happens to be zero when booted from floppy, but sometimes non-zero when booted from ProDOS.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alupin65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to qkumba on Tue Sep 21 23:00:50 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 1:51:12 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:
    Fixed. http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/tmp/pool%20of%20radiance%20PRODOS%20(san%20inc%20crack).zip

YES!! It works :-) :-)

Thanks a million, qkumba. You are just so awesome in many ways.

I will keep playing it and wait for your next ports. Meanwhile, I am also gathering the necessary information to see how I can do a GBC-like companion for AppleWin. Might also need your help later ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From alupin65@gmail.com@21:1/5 to alup...@gmail.com on Wed Sep 22 00:44:52 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 2:00:52 PM UTC+8, alup...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 1:51:12 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:

I will keep playing it and wait for your next ports. Meanwhile, I am also gathering the necessary information to see how I can do a GBC-like companion for AppleWin. Might also need your help later ;-)

BTW, for sure you know this will come up soon: I remember later AD&D games allow importing characters/parties from the previous games, so if possible please do your magic and make this feature work in your ports. Not sure how complicated it will be (a
    separate file for characters/parties/save games?) but like I said your magic is all it takes :-D

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tempest@21:1/5 to A. Lupin on Wed Sep 22 08:08:00 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 3:44:54 AM UTC-4, A. Lupin wrote:
    BTW, for sure you know this will come up soon: I remember later AD&D games allow importing characters/parties from the previous games, so if possible please do your magic and make this feature work in your ports. Not sure how complicated it will be (a
    separate file for characters/parties/save games?) but like I said your magic is all it takes :-D
    I think the only time that would be used in is Curse of the Azure Bonds. None of the other Forgotten Realms games were released on the Apple and only the first Dragonlance game was released. I always wondered if it would be possible to port the missing
    games because they mostly use the same engines (at least Secret of the Silver Blades, Death Knights of Krynn, and Gateway to the Savage Frontier). The C64 got those.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 22 09:43:39 2021

Great. :-)

Blush. Thanks.

Okay, I will wait for that. :-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Wed Sep 22 09:46:07 2021

:-) It's the same problem with Wizardry I -> II.
    I'm thinking to make a separate program that you run, which could copy the save data from one port to the other, rather than trying to make the game itself know how to do that.
    However, for sure it's on my list. It's a required feature.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to Tempest on Wed Sep 22 17:14:24 2021
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 11:08:02 PM UTC+8, Tempest wrote:
    On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 3:44:54 AM UTC-4, A. Lupin wrote:
    BTW, for sure you know this will come up soon: I remember later AD&D games allow importing characters/parties from the previous games, so if possible please do your magic and make this feature work in your ports. Not sure how complicated it will be (
    a separate file for characters/parties/save games?) but like I said your magic is all it takes :-D
    I think the only time that would be used in is Curse of the Azure Bonds. None of the other Forgotten Realms games were released on the Apple and only the first Dragonlance game was released. I always wondered if it would be possible to port the missing
    games because they mostly use the same engines (at least Secret of the Silver Blades, Death Knights of Krynn, and Gateway to the Savage Frontier). The C64 got those.

Yeah, on AP2 CoK is the last AD&D RPG from SSI, and C64 got a few more. Not sure if the AP2 engine can handle the later releases, but that does give me some very intriguing ideas ;-) Will do some deep investigation and see if I can come up with
    something exciting.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to qkumba on Wed Sep 22 17:22:31 2021
    On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 12:46:08 AM UTC+8, qkumba wrote:
    BTW, for sure you know this will come up soon: I remember later AD&D games allow importing characters/parties from the previous games, so if possible please do your magic and make this feature work in your ports. Not sure how complicated it will be (
    a separate file for characters/parties/save games?) but like I said your magic is all it takes :-D
    :-) It's the same problem with Wizardry I -> II.
    I'm thinking to make a separate program that you run, which could copy the save data from one port to the other, rather than trying to make the game itself know how to do that.
    However, for sure it's on my list. It's a required feature.

Apparently you are very experienced on this :-D I will leave the rest to your able hands.

This could also act as an add-on to my (imaginary for now) RPG Companion for AppleWin: as long as you have an execution mode to use command-line params (forgot the specific name in ProDOS) to specify from/to/names/etc. instead of the UI, it could do a
    RPC-like invocation from Windows to complete this task. Neat, eh ;-)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Not Dr. Tom@21:1/5 to In reply to "A. Lupin" who on Thu Sep 23 04:43:52 2021
    In reply to "A. Lupin" who wrote the following:

This could also act as an add-on to my (imaginary for now) RPG Companion fo= r AppleWin: as long as you have an execution mode to use command-line param= s (forgot the specific name in ProDOS) to specify from/to/names/etc. instea= d of the UI, it could do a RPC-like invocation from Windows to complete thi= s task. Neat, eh ;-)

Are you aware of:
    https://github.com/hasseily/AppleWin-Companion

--
    ----------------------------------------- --- -- -
    Posted with NewsLeecher v7.0 Final
    Free Newsreader @ http://www.newsleecher.com/
    ------------------------------- ----- ---- -- -

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to Not Dr. Tom on Wed Sep 22 23:44:14 2021
    On Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 12:43:53 PM UTC+8, Not Dr. Tom wrote:
    In reply to "A. Lupin" who wrote the following:

This could also act as an add-on to my (imaginary for now) RPG Companion fo=
    r AppleWin: as long as you have an execution mode to use command-line param=
    s (forgot the specific name in ProDOS) to specify from/to/names/etc. instea=
    d of the UI, it could do a RPC-like invocation from Windows to complete thi=
    s task. Neat, eh ;-)

Are you aware of:
    https://github.com/hasseily/AppleWin-Companion

--
    ----------------------------------------- --- -- -
    Posted with NewsLeecher v7.0 Final
    Free Newsreader @ http://www.newsleecher.com/
    ------------------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Wow... This is such a great find for me. I definitely will give it a try soon. Thanks!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lorne Lavine@21:1/5 to All on Thu Oct 7 13:58:34 2021
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when you try to
    view an Archer, it crashes.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to thedigit...@gmail.com on Thu Oct 7 20:48:11 2021
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 4:58:36 AM UTC+8, thedigit...@gmail.com wrote:
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when you try
    to view an Archer, it crashes.

Can confirm this:
    AppleWin v1.30.4
    2 HD's in S7, D1/D2. MM1 copied to D2.
    ProDOS8 v2.4.2 by JB
    1. Load the game. Press "Esc"
    2. "V" to view all characters
    3. "C" to see Zenon III, and the game crashes immediately after showing one line on the top.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to A. Lupin on Thu Oct 7 21:42:46 2021
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 11:48:12 AM UTC+8, A. Lupin wrote:
    On Friday, October 8, 2021 at 4:58:36 AM UTC+8, thedigit...@gmail.com wrote:
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when you
    try to view an Archer, it crashes.
    Can confirm this:
    AppleWin v1.30.4
    2 HD's in S7, D1/D2. MM1 copied to D2.
    ProDOS8 v2.4.2 by JB
    1. Load the game. Press "Esc"
    2. "V" to view all characters
    3. "C" to see Zenon III, and the game crashes immediately after showing one line on the top.

Does not have this issue with "Might and Magic (woz-a-day collection).zip"

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From magnusfalkirk@21:1/5 to thedigit...@gmail.com on Sat Oct 9 14:26:25 2021
    On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 3:58:36 PM UTC-5, thedigit...@gmail.com wrote:
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when you try
    to view an Archer, it crashes.

Running in Virtual II, when you view an Archer character it doesn't crash to Basic. It display the character name, alignment and race, that's all. If you press Return it takes you back out to the main menu.

Just my two copper pieces worth,
    magnus

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to A. Lupin on Sun Oct 10 05:11:35 2021
    On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 8:01:08 PM UTC+8, A. Lupin wrote:
    On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 7:57:20 PM UTC+8, A. Lupin wrote:
    On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 5:26:27 AM UTC+8, magnusfalkirk wrote:
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when
    you try to view an Archer, it crashes.
    Running in Virtual II, when you view an Archer character it doesn't crash to Basic. It display the character name, alignment and race, that's all. If you press Return it takes you back out to the main menu.

magnus
    Interesting finding. And I did some more test: With the same config of mine, MM1 does show only the information above. However, pressing Return made the game reading almost the entire Track 0 and sent you back to the C/V/# menu.

As a comparison, doing the same with other characters will display the full info, and Return will do nothing. Only ESC will get you back to the full roster screen.
    To be clear, I don't think its Track 0 as the game was loaded from HD. Just that AppleWin might not have updated the Track part in the T/S area.

(Sorry for so many follow-ups from me)
    Actually I am quite puzzled by the changes in the T/S area. No other games on my HD do that; only the HD light is blinking. Isn't that supposed for floppy drives only?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to magnusfalkirk on Sun Oct 10 04:57:18 2021
    Posting for all, bug with Might and Magic 1. The game crashes whenever you try to view any character who is an Archer. Doesn't matter if it's the pre-made character (Zenon III), or one you make yourself, you can add them to the party, but when you

magnus

Interesting finding. And I did some more test: With the same config of mine, MM1 does show only the information above. However, pressing Return made the game reading almost the entire Track 0 and sent you back to the C/V/# menu.

As a comparison, doing the same with other characters will display the full info, and Return will do nothing. Only ESC will get you back to the full roster screen.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to A. Lupin on Sun Oct 10 05:01:06 2021
    On Sunday, October 10, 2021 at 7:57:20 PM UTC+8, A. Lupin wrote:

magnus

To be clear, I don't think its Track 0 as the game was loaded from HD. Just that AppleWin might not have updated the Track part in the T/S area.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Lorne Lavine@21:1/5 to qkumba on Wed Nov 10 09:52:11 2021
    On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 9:31:12 AM UTC-8, qkumba wrote:
    I found _a_ problem. The image was corrupted somehow. I've fixed it and uploaded again.
    Please test http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/tmp/might%20and%20magic%20PRODOS%20(san%20inc%20pack).zip
    If it works then I'll update Asimov, too.

Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks so much for your efforts.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Wed Nov 10 09:31:52 2021
    Actually I am quite puzzled by the changes in the T/S area. No other games on my HD do that; only the HD light is blinking. Isn't that supposed for floppy drives only?

That was a side-effect of the corrupted instructions - it was hitting random memory location, which happened to turn on the drive light.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Alex Lee@21:1/5 to qkumba on Wed Nov 17 11:09:22 2021
    On 2021-11-10 17:31:52 +0000, qkumba said:

Actually I am quite puzzled by the changes in the T/S area. No other
    games on my HD do that; only the HD light is blinking. Isn't that
    supposed for floppy drives only?

That was a side-effect of the corrupted instructions - it was hitting
    random memory location, which happened to turn on the drive light.

Did this fix end up getting uploaded to Asimov?

Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to thedigit...@gmail.com on Fri Dec 3 18:59:49 2021
    On Thursday, November 11, 2021 at 1:52:12 AM UTC+8, thedigit...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Wednesday, November 10, 2021 at 9:31:12 AM UTC-8, qkumba wrote:
    I found _a_ problem. The image was corrupted somehow. I've fixed it and uploaded again.
    Please test http://pferrie.epizy.com/misc/tmp/might%20and%20magic%20PRODOS%20(san%20inc%20pack).zip
    If it works then I'll update Asimov, too.
    Awesome, that fixed it! Thanks so much for your efforts.

Another happy gamer here with this fix :-) Awesome work, qkumba!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From A. Lupin@21:1/5 to Alex Lee on Fri Dec 3 19:01:38 2021
    On Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 8:09:25 AM UTC+8, Alex Lee wrote:
    On 2021-11-10 17:31:52 +0000, qkumba said:

Actually I am quite puzzled by the changes in the T/S area. No other
    games on my HD do that; only the HD light is blinking. Isn't that
    supposed for floppy drives only?

That was a side-effect of the corrupted instructions - it was hitting random memory location, which happened to turn on the drive light.
    Did this fix end up getting uploaded to Asimov?

Alex

Don't think so, certainly not on the ZA mirror yet. Hope this will remind qkumba to upload the fix.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Sun Dec 5 13:28:45 2021
    It did, and it's been moved already.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From fadden@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 26 07:49:56 2023
    This version of Taipan! doesn't seem to work:

https://www.apple.asimov.net/images/games/collections/san_inc_prodos/taipan%20PRODOS%20%28san%20inc%20crack%29.dsk

I tried AppleWin configured for enhanced //e and ][+. It hangs while displaying the game logo; looks to be in an Applesoft error handler loop. The versions found on various game collection disks seem to work.

(https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/q/28083/56)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From qkumba@21:1/5 to All on Tue Nov 28 13:58:03 2023
    Thanks, I have uploaded the fixed version.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05