• Mouse interface card not working

From Erik Hansen@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 21 03:01:31 2021
    I do have an Apple II Mouse Interface card that seems not to work. It´s plugged into slot 4, but I think the firmware cannot be accessed as I only get random values for the mouse ID bytes (expected values should, as I understand it, be C405=$38, C407=$
    18, C40B=$01, C40C=$20, C4FB=$D6).
    Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem, or is the card beyond repair?

Any help would be appreciated!

Br.
    Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to Erik Hansen on Sun Aug 22 00:17:59 2021
    Erik Hansen <hansenerik110@gmail.com> wrote:
    I do have an Apple II Mouse Interface card that seems not to work. It´s plugged into slot 4, but I think the firmware cannot be accessed as I
    only get random values for the mouse ID bytes (expected values should, as
    I understand it, be C405=$38, C407=$18, C40B=$01, C40C=$20, C4FB=$D6).

Br.
    Erik

It sounds like there may be a problem with the EPROM, which is easily
    replaced.

The most straightforward approach to diagnosing the problem would be to
    replace the EPROM with a known-good one and then test the card. (I presume that the EPROM Is socketed.)

It would help others to diagnose the EPROM if you could dump its contents
    and post them for examination, or you could compare them to a correct image available on the web.

It is VERY improbable that anything more serious than a bad chip is wrong
    with the card. ;-)

--
    -michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://michaeljmahon.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Hansen@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Sun Aug 22 04:27:35 2021
    On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 7:18:06 AM UTC+2, Michael J. Mahon wrote:
    Erik Hansen wrote:
    I do have an Apple II Mouse Interface card that seems not to work. It´s plugged into slot 4, but I think the firmware cannot be accessed as I
    only get random values for the mouse ID bytes (expected values should, as I understand it, be C405=$38, C407=$18, C40B=$01, C40C=$20, C4FB=$D6).

Br.
    Erik

It sounds like there may be a problem with the EPROM, which is easily replaced.

The most straightforward approach to diagnosing the problem would be to replace the EPROM with a known-good one and then test the card. (I presume that the EPROM Is socketed.)

It would help others to diagnose the EPROM if you could dump its contents and post them for examination, or you could compare them to a correct image available on the web.

It is VERY improbable that anything more serious than a bad chip is wrong with the card. ;-)

--

Thanks for the advice Michael! It´s a bit of a learning ground to me, but I will order an EPROM reader/writer on ebay to proceed (TL866II seems like a decent option). I found the file “APPLE II ROMS/MOUSE - 342-0270 - C – 2716.bin”, which seems to
    be the correct file to compare with. And some schematics on the net indicated that the EPROM in question is Fujitsu MB8516 2k x8bit DIP24 (and yes it is scoketed). I will order a few of those too, and I will post an update when I have completed the
    testing. Thanks again!

Br,
    Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Antoine Vignau@21:1/5 to All on Sun Aug 22 13:51:35 2021
    Hi,
    did you try the card in another slot? Let's say slot 2. Do you get the expected values there?
    If so, the card would be OK, not the slot. On the contrary, the card would be not OK, and the slot, perhaps, OK!

Antoine

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to Erik Hansen on Sun Aug 22 16:24:13 2021
    Erik Hansen <hansenerik110@gmail.com> wrote:
    Erik Hansen wrote:
    I do have an Apple II Mouse Interface card that seems not to work. It´s >>> plugged into slot 4, but I think the firmware cannot be accessed as I
    only get random values for the mouse ID bytes (expected values should, as >>> I understand it, be C405=$38, C407=$18, C40B=$01, C40C=$20, C4FB=$D6).
    Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem, or is the card beyond repair? >>>

Br.
    Erik

replaced.

The most straightforward approach to diagnosing the problem would be to
    replace the EPROM with a known-good one and then test the card. (I presume >> that the EPROM Is socketed.)

It would help others to diagnose the EPROM if you could dump its contents
    and post them for examination, or you could compare them to a correct image >> available on the web.

It is VERY improbable that anything more serious than a bad chip is wrong
    with the card. ;-)

--

Thanks for the advice Michael! It´s a bit of a learning ground to me, but
    I will order an EPROM reader/writer on ebay to proceed (TL866II seems
    like a decent option). I found the file “APPLE II ROMS/MOUSE - 342-0270 -
    C – 2716.bin”, which seems to be the correct file to compare with. And some schematics on the net indicated that the EPROM in question is
    Fujitsu MB8516 2k x8bit DIP24 (and yes it is scoketed). I will order a
    few of those too, and I will post an update when I have completed the testing. Thanks again!

Br,
    Erik

You’re welcome, Eric.

BTW, you can read the EPROM using the Apple by writing a short machine
    language program to select the slot, then copy $C800..$CFFF to RAM. The
    copy should proceed from the lowest to the highest address, because
    somewhere near $CFFF the card’s EPROM will be deselected, and the following few bytes will be meaningless.

The region of RAM where the EPROM was copied can be BSAVEd to disk and
    compared to the correct image. If the compare is equal (except for the
    final few meaningless bytes) then the EPROM is good and doesn’t need to be replaced.

The next most likely failure would be electrostatic discharge conducted
    from the mouse inputs to the card to the chip(s) they connect to.

I am also assuming that the card was not electrically damaged by being
    inserted or removed from a powered-on system.

Best of luck getting it working again.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Erik Hansen@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Mon Aug 23 10:41:37 2021
    On Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 11:24:21 PM UTC+2, Michael J. Mahon wrote:
    Erik Hansen wrote:
    Erik Hansen wrote:
    I do have an Apple II Mouse Interface card that seems not to work. It´s >>> plugged into slot 4, but I think the firmware cannot be accessed as I >>> only get random values for the mouse ID bytes (expected values should, as
    I understand it, be C405=$38, C407=$18, C40B=$01, C40C=$20, C4FB=$D6). >>> Is it possible to troubleshoot this problem, or is the card beyond repair?

Br.
    Erik

replaced.

The most straightforward approach to diagnosing the problem would be to >> replace the EPROM with a known-good one and then test the card. (I presume
    that the EPROM Is socketed.)

It would help others to diagnose the EPROM if you could dump its contents >> and post them for examination, or you could compare them to a correct image
    available on the web.

It is VERY improbable that anything more serious than a bad chip is wrong >> with the card. ;-)

--

Thanks for the advice Michael! It´s a bit of a learning ground to me, but I will order an EPROM reader/writer on ebay to proceed (TL866II seems
    like a decent option). I found the file “APPLE II ROMS/MOUSE - 342-0270 -
    C – 2716.bin”, which seems to be the correct file to compare with. And some schematics on the net indicated that the EPROM in question is
    Fujitsu MB8516 2k x8bit DIP24 (and yes it is scoketed). I will order a
    few of those too, and I will post an update when I have completed the testing. Thanks again!

Br,
    Erik

You’re welcome, Eric.

BTW, you can read the EPROM using the Apple by writing a short machine language program to select the slot, then copy $C800..$CFFF to RAM. The
    copy should proceed from the lowest to the highest address, because somewhere near $CFFF the card’s EPROM will be deselected, and the following
    few bytes will be meaningless.

The region of RAM where the EPROM was copied can be BSAVEd to disk and compared to the correct image. If the compare is equal (except for the
    final few meaningless bytes) then the EPROM is good and doesn’t need to be replaced.

The next most likely failure would be electrostatic discharge conducted
    from the mouse inputs to the card to the chip(s) they connect to.

I am also assuming that the card was not electrically damaged by being inserted or removed from a powered-on system.

Best of luck getting it working again.
    --

Thanks to both of you! Antoine, I have tried the card in multiple slots including some I have tested OK with other cards. Unfortunately no success. As for reading about using the bank switching of $C800..$CFFF to copy the EPROM, I have to say my memory
    from 35 years back is slowly returning :-) Seems like the best approach would be to do some refresh of my machine language skills and get the job done. I will keep you posted on the progress.

Br.
    Erik

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05