• Apple II Power Supply - magic smoke all gone

From newt@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Sat Aug 7 22:10:35 2021
    On Sunday, November 27, 2016 at 3:41:14 PM UTC-5, Michael J. Mahon wrote:
    D Finnigan <dog...@macgui.com> wrote:
    In a tragic twist of irony, I powered on my Apple II Plus last evening after
    a year in storage to test it. Didn't have it on much longer than 25 minutes or so when I heard a sickening noise. A crinkling sound, then a column of acrid smoke rose from the rear (switch end) of the power supply. Like a flash I flipped off the switch and pulled the plug, but I fear the damage is
    done.

If you've read up to chapter 2 of The New Apple II User's Guide, or have looked at the back cover of that book, then you have seen this Apple II Plus, a fairly early model from spring 1979. And what I presume is its original power supply is now up in smoke!

Now I'm asking the Apple II community if someone can provide a replacement supply, can fix this one, or can offer instructions for me to fix it.

I'll be highly appreciative.
    Be of good cheer. ;-)

The odds are excellent that the only failure is the mains filter capacitor, an "X1" type, that is easily replaced. (In fact, you can even run without it!)

The downside, as you've observed, is the strong, disgusting odor, but that will slowly dissipate.

You may also have blown the nearby fuse, also easily replaced.

If the X1 capacitor (a box-like affair, about an inch square and 1/4"
    thick, mounted on its edge) isn't obviously blown, the problem may be elsewhere, but first, the most likely thing...
    --
    -michael - NadaNet 3.1 and AppleCrate II: http://michaeljmahon.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From newt@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Sat Aug 7 22:34:53 2021
    a year in storage to test it. Didn't have it on much longer than 25 minutes or so when I heard a sickening noise. A crinkling sound, then a column of acrid smoke rose from the rear (switch end) of the power supply. Like a flash I flipped off the switch and pulled the plug, but I fear the damage is
    done.

If you've read up to chapter 2 of The New Apple II User's Guide, or have looked at the back cover of that book, then you have seen this Apple II Plus, a fairly early model from spring 1979. And what I presume is its original power supply is now up in smoke!

Now I'm asking the Apple II community if someone can provide a replacement supply, can fix this one, or can offer instructions for me to fix it.

Be of good cheer. ;-)

The odds are excellent that the only failure is the mains filter capacitor, an "X1" type, that is easily replaced. (In fact, you can even run without it!)

The downside, as you've observed, is the strong, disgusting odor, but that will slowly dissipate.

thick, mounted on its edge) isn't obviously blown, the problem may be elsewhere, but first, the most likely thing...
    --

Hey Micheal!,

I am really confused where to find the x1 filter capacitor

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From newt@21:1/5 to Michael J. Mahon on Sat Aug 7 22:26:36 2021
    a year in storage to test it. Didn't have it on much longer than 25 minutes
    or so when I heard a sickening noise. A crinkling sound, then a column of acrid smoke rose from the rear (switch end) of the power supply. Like a flash I flipped off the switch and pulled the plug, but I fear the damage is
    done.

Be of good cheer. ;-)

--

Hi, I can’t find the X1 capacitor online?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to newt on Sun Aug 8 11:39:36 2021
    newt <drpooh16@icloud.com> wrote:
    a year in storage to test it. Didn't have it on much longer than 25 minutes >>> or so when I heard a sickening noise. A crinkling sound, then a column of >>> acrid smoke rose from the rear (switch end) of the power supply. Like a
    flash I flipped off the switch and pulled the plug, but I fear the damage is
    done.

If you've read up to chapter 2 of The New Apple II User's Guide, or have >>> looked at the back cover of that book, then you have seen this Apple II
    Plus, a fairly early model from spring 1979. And what I presume is its
    original power supply is now up in smoke!

Now I'm asking the Apple II community if someone can provide a replacement >>> supply, can fix this one, or can offer instructions for me to fix it.

Be of good cheer. ;-)

The odds are excellent that the only failure is the mains filter capacitor, >> an "X1" type, that is easily replaced. (In fact, you can even run without
    it!)

The downside, as you've observed, is the strong, disgusting odor, but that >> will slowly dissipate.

thick, mounted on its edge) isn't obviously blown, the problem may be
    elsewhere, but first, the most likely thing...
    --

Hey Micheal!,

I am really confused where to find the x1 filter capacitor

“X1” is a capacitor type designation, not a value. It means that the capacitor is certified for direct connection across the AC line. They are typically polypropylene dielectric capacitors which are “self-healing” in the event of breakdown caused by voltage spikes well in excess of their
    voltage rating.

You are looking for a capacitor in the 0.1 to 1.0 uF range with a voltage rating of, typically, 250 VAC. They are pretty widely available and are inexpensive.

I often see them advertised by the surplus store Electronic Goldmine,
    usually in lots of five or ten for a couple of dollars. They are also available from any electronic parts supplier.

If you’re having trouble locating a supplier, Google “X1 capacitor” and you
    should get lots of possibilities.

The exact capacitance value is not too important, since its only purpose is
    to attenuate fast spikes coming from the line and filter noise generated by
    the power supply going back to the line. Physical fit is the other
    important consideration.

I expect you’ll not have much trouble finding a replacement. Best of luck!

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mike Spangler@21:1/5 to All on Mon Aug 9 13:23:12 2021
    The same thing happened to me last spring. The rectangular box in question probably says RIFA on it. I bought replacements from Ebay. Not all power supplies use the same value of capacitors though. So it's best to look first and then buy.

You shouldn't have to drill out anything to get the power supply open. Although one model had 10 screws holding the case together. Another used none, or maybe two. The cover was mostly snap together. I found three or four different models in my
    collection. And every RIFA in the set was cracked and bulging. There were some blue ones with a German sounding name that were also not so good, but the were in better shape than the RIFA versions.

Four screws to get the PS out of the case, 10 screws to get the cover off the PS, and then another four to get the circuit board out for repairs. It was an exercise in fasteners. The hardest part is the strain relief on the power cable to the logic board.
    Turn 90 degrees and wiggle.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Michael J. Mahon@21:1/5 to Mike Spangler on Tue Aug 10 01:59:55 2021
    Mike Spangler <mspangler@ifiber.tv> wrote:
    The same thing happened to me last spring. The rectangular box in
    question probably says RIFA on it. I bought replacements from Ebay. Not
    all power supplies use the same value of capacitors though. So it's best
    to look first and then buy.

You shouldn't have to drill out anything to get the power supply open. Although one model had 10 screws holding the case together. Another used none, or maybe two. The cover was mostly snap together. I found three or
    four different models in my collection. And every RIFA in the set was
    cracked and bulging. There were some blue ones with a German sounding
    name that were also not so good, but the were in better shape than the RIFA versions.

Four screws to get the PS out of the case, 10 screws to get the cover off
    the PS, and then another four to get the circuit board out for repairs.
    It was an exercise in fasteners. The hardest part is the strain relief on
    the power cable to the logic board. Turn 90 degrees and wiggle.

My usual approach is to use pliers to carefully squeeze the small side of
    the strain relief, compressing the wire bundle slightly, then slip the
    small end through the hole in the case.

These plastic strain reliefs have been around for decades, and IIRC were originated by Heyco.

They can be easily reinserted by putting the two parts together over the
    wire bundle, carefully aligning them with the original “bump” in the wires, then squeezing again, this time from the larger end, and pressing it into
    the hole in the case until it snaps/locks.

--

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05