• Re: RamFAST ROM differences

From fadden@21:1/5 to Andrew Roughan on Tue Jul 5 07:38:29 2022
    On Tuesday, July 5, 2022 at 7:16:08 AM UTC-7, Andrew Roughan wrote:
    I was playing with the ROM utility and saw some things I’d like to improve.
    Eg Ciderpress and RamFAST 32MB sizes appear to be off by one block. Would
    be better to align them. I assume RF is wrong.

In CiderPress, creating a 32MB volume (labeled "largest ProDOS volume") creates a 65535-block file, because that's the ProDOS limit. Partition managers will likely round up to the nearest megabyte, allocating space for 65536 blocks. I figured it's
    safer to copy a 65535-block volume into a 65536-block space than the other way around, so went with the smaller size.

You can create a 65536-block volume in CiderPress by entering the size manually.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Andrew Roughan@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jul 5 14:16:06 2022
    Has anyone studied the RamFAST ROM content to see what changed between versions?

CSA2FAQ mentions a bug in the restore action of 3.01e which will trash your partition table.
    I didn’t find anything else with google.

I hope GEnie RT may have more info with announcements of new versions being available but I don’t have access to this content myself.

I was playing with the ROM utility and saw some things I’d like to improve. Eg Ciderpress and RamFAST 32MB sizes appear to be off by one block. Would
    be better to align them. I assume RF is wrong.

I have received some source code but it may not be the latest. I don’t see anything about 3.01f in it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Mitchell Spector@21:1/5 to Andrew Roughan on Fri Jul 8 05:42:14 2022
    Andrew Roughan <no_email@invalid.invalid> wrote:

Has anyone studied the RamFAST ROM content to see what changed between >versions?

I would be interested in that as well. Particularly what type of code is stored in 'U16' on the RamFAST revision C, and was v2.01 the
    final version? (the card has two ROM sockets).

In terms of important updates, I do remember 3.00L or higher (for both cards) was necessary for working with removable media.

CSA2FAQ mentions a bug in the restore action of 3.01e which will trash your >partition table.
    I didn’t find anything else with google.

Only 1 byte of data changed between 3.01e and 3.01f. It corrected a bug
    in with the built-in RamFAST utilities 'restore' option for tape backups.

Mitchell Spector

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05