• Prime emulator address changing to: telnet em.prirun.com 8001

From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jan 28 09:22:59 2016
    This year Dyndns.com raised their dynamic DNS service fee from $25 to $40, which, combined with crazy emails that said "your service is autorenewing in 7 days" and then "your service expires in less than 7 days", was enough to make me switch.

The new emulator address will be em.prirun.com, and since I own that domain name, it won't be changing again. Still have to add the port number to get the specific version of Primos you want (8001 and up).

Today and tomorrow, access to the emulator will be difficult. It's hosted on a Mac Mini and the hard drives are failing, so tomorrow I'm swapping them out. Today it's having a lot of trouble with disk access and is either very slow or hanging.

It's kinda funny that the drives in the Mini are only about 6 years old and are failing, yet we were able to image Prime drives that were decades old.

Jim

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Greg Field@21:1/5 to All on Wed Feb 10 21:10:29 2016
    T'was a sad loss to the tinker'ers of the IT world, when DynDNS stopped their free service many years ago.

I've often wondered why not sell off or donate the rights to the free service. It must be worth something
    as every home router on the planet has a built in DynDNS client.

I will try one of the free compiled services as I have also moved to a Mac Mini as a server. So quiet.
    You're not the first person to mention failing drives in a Mac Mini. I will have to keep an eye on that.

Teaching myself OS X Server. it all works pretty well but auto mount home folders is a train wreck.
    Apple really should have adopted NFS.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From marlow.agents@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Jim Wilcoxson on Sun Sep 11 00:52:45 2016
    On Thursday, 28 January 2016 17:22:59 UTC, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:
    The new emulator address will be em.prirun.com, and since I own that domain name, it won't be changing again. Still have to add the port number to get the specific version of Primos you want (8001 and up).
    Jim
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything. I can't even
    run innocuous commands like list_process, list_cvs etc. Can the permissions be slightly loosened please? I expected that ordinary users could use the SIM (System Information and Metering) commands.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to marlow...@gmail.com on Sun Sep 11 08:16:02 2016
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 3:52:46 AM UTC-4, marlow...@gmail.com wrote:
    Jim
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything. I can't even
    run innocuous commands like list_process, list_cvs etc. Can the permissions be slightly loosened please? I expected that ordinary users could use the SIM (System Information and Metering) commands.

Hi Andrew! I don't know anything about DSM, but poked around a little bit in config_dsm and ran across the user access section. No idea how this stuff works, but the current config looks like this:

Do you want to list all the user access definitions ? yes
    User access definition ALIEN$ is:
    User/ACL group .ANY_USER$ from location(s):
    .ALIEN_NODES$
    Function/function group: STATUS_DSM is allowed on node/node groups:
    .GROUP$
    User access definition DSM_ADMINISTRATOR$ is:
    User/ACL group SYSTEM from location(s):
    .GROUP$
    Function/function group: .ANY_FUNCTION$ is allowed on node/node groups:
    .ANY_NODE$
    User access definition DSM_OPERATOR$ is:
    LOCAL$
    Function/function group: .RESUS$ is allowed on node/node groups:
    .ANY_NODE$
    Function/function group: .SIM$ is allowed on node/node groups:
    .ANY_NODE$
    User access definition DTB_USER$ is:
    User/ACL group .DTB$ from location(s):
    .ANY_NODE$
    Function/function group: .DTB$ is allowed on node/node groups:
    .ANY_NODE$

I have one user, GUEST, setup on this emulator. Do I just add group .DTB$ to that user? Does that let it do crazy things, or just "read only" commands?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Marlow@21:1/5 to Jim Wilcoxson on Sun Sep 11 12:01:34 2016
    On Sunday, 11 September 2016 16:16:03 UTC+1, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:
    Jim
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything. I can't
    even run innocuous commands like list_process, list_cvs etc. Can the permissions be slightly loosened please? I expected that ordinary users could use the SIM (System Information and Metering) commands.

Hi Andrew! I don't know anything about DSM, but poked around a little bit in config_dsm and ran across the user access section. No idea how this stuff works, but the current config looks like this:

.ALIEN_NODES$
    .GROUP$
    .GROUP$
    .ANY_NODE$
    LOCAL$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$

I have one user, GUEST, setup on this emulator. Do I just add group .DTB$ to that user? Does that let it do crazy things, or just "read only" commands?

The DSM_OPERATORS group is close to what is wanted but it has access to the RESUS command, which is normally denied to ordinary users. So you will need to create a new user access definition, say DSM_USER, which is like DSM_OPERATOR but does not include
    access to RESUS. the RESUS command lets you become the system console!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Marlow@21:1/5 to Andrew Marlow on Tue Sep 20 09:14:06 2016
    On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:48:38 UTC+1, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    [snip]
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything.
    [snip]

Did they offer brain surgeon classes in DSM? The tag line could have been:

"DSM: Power beyond comprehension"

I would still like to use it and I bet several of my former colleagues at Willen Lake (UK) would like to as well. Please let us know when you have managed to make the changes using that infamous CONFIG_DSM comand, thanks.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Marlow@21:1/5 to Jim Wilcoxson on Tue Sep 13 00:48:37 2016
    On Monday, 12 September 2016 13:36:56 UTC+1, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 3:01:35 PM UTC-4, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    Jim
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything. I can't
    even run innocuous commands like list_process, list_cvs etc. Can the permissions be slightly loosened please? I expected that ordinary users could use the SIM (System Information and Metering) commands.

.ALIEN_NODES$
    .GROUP$
    .GROUP$
    .ANY_NODE$
    LOCAL$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$

The DSM_OPERATORS group is close to what is wanted but it has access to the RESUS command, which is normally denied to ordinary users. So you will need to create a new user access definition, say DSM_USER, which is like DSM_OPERATOR but does not
    include access to RESUS. the RESUS command lets you become the system console!

So I want to create user access DSM_USER, add function group .SIM$ to it, and then say User/ACL group GUEST from location LOCAL$. .SIM$ includes these functions:

Function group .SIM$ contains:
    LIST_ASSIGNED_DEVICES, LIST_ASYNC, LIST_COMM_CONTROLLERS, LIST_CONFIG,
    LIST_DISKS, LIST_LAN_NODES, LIST_MEMORY, LIST_PRIMENET_LINKS,
    LIST_PRIMENET_NODES, LIST_PRIMENET_PORTS, LIST_PROCESS, LIST_SEMAPHORES,
    LIST_SYNC, LIST_UNITS, LIST_VCS, PRIVATE_LOGGER

What is PRIVATE_LOGGER? Is it okay, or do I need to create a new function group without that?

It's a really bad name. The idea was that public logs are system logs and logs created for the users own use are private logs. Better names might have been system logs and user logs. So its ok for ordinary users to have access to PRIVATE_LOGGER.

Well, some people did say that DSM stood for Dirty Stinking Mess. I actually liked it but that's because I was working on it. I worked on the logger, UMs and the SIM commands. But there was one bit of it that I hated and that was CONFIG_DSM. What a
    config nightmare. The code was terrible also.

In my copious spare time I actually came up with a replacement for DSM when I was at Prime. It extended the command line processing to make any command support -on <nodename>. I called it DCE which stood for Distributed Command Environment. You could
    turn on the command line extension using the command START_DCE (there was also a STOP_DCE). It's access model was much simpler and didn't need a complex config command line DSM. If I recall it was based on the kind of file access you get to remote nodes
    via NPX slaves.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to Andrew Marlow on Wed Sep 21 07:15:36 2016
    On Tuesday, September 20, 2016 at 12:14:06 PM UTC-4, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    On Tuesday, 13 September 2016 08:48:38 UTC+1, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    [snip]
    Thank you Jim for making these time travel journeys possible. I just tried port 8005 and was pleased to see Rev 23.4.Y2K.R1 where DSM is running. This is great. However, by default it looks like DSM doesn't let ordinary users do anything.
    [snip]

I would still like to use it and I bet several of my former colleagues at Willen Lake (UK) would like to as well. Please let us know when you have managed to make the changes using that infamous CONFIG_DSM comand, thanks.

Well, I tried. I created "user access definition" DSM_USER$, with "function group" .SIM$, and added user GUEST to it. Then went to save it:

SAVE the configuration.

How do you wish to save the configuration?

(1) WRITE to temporary configuration.
    (2) CREATE new configuration.
    (3) UPDATE existing configuration.
    (4) LIST the configuration.
    (5) HELP.

Enter option number, or press RETURN to leave this menu: 3

Enter pathname for configuration: DSM*>CONFIG_FILES>DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG
    Error from DSM_ADMIN (DSM_admin-420):
    DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG is a reserved DSM configuration.
    Enter pathname for configuration: DSM*>CONFIG_FILES>DSM_JIM.CONFIG
    Enter comment or Quit (default is "DEFAULT CONFIG FILE"): This is for Andrew Configuration <SYS23K>DSM*>CONFIG_FILES>DSM_JIM.CONFIG, revision 2 written. --Press < RETURN > to continue:

SAVE the configuration.

How do you wish to save the configuration?

(1) WRITE to temporary configuration.
    (2) CREATE new configuration.
    (3) UPDATE existing configuration.
    (4) LIST the configuration.
    (5) HELP.

Enter option number, or press RETURN to leave this menu:

Geez, this thing is really terrible. Sorry Andrew!

So after being forced to create a new DSM file, I'm assuming I have to activate it somehow. But START_DSM doesn't take a pathname, so I have no idea how to do that. I guess I could just blow away the default DSM file and rename this one, but I'm sure
    there has to be a better way to do it with just a menu selection or 10... hahahah!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to Andrew Marlow on Mon Sep 12 05:36:55 2016
    On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 3:01:35 PM UTC-4, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    Jim

.ALIEN_NODES$
    .GROUP$
    .GROUP$
    .ANY_NODE$
    LOCAL$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$
    .ANY_NODE$

The DSM_OPERATORS group is close to what is wanted but it has access to the RESUS command, which is normally denied to ordinary users. So you will need to create a new user access definition, say DSM_USER, which is like DSM_OPERATOR but does not
    include access to RESUS. the RESUS command lets you become the system console!

So I want to create user access DSM_USER, add function group .SIM$ to it, and then say User/ACL group GUEST from location LOCAL$. .SIM$ includes these functions:

Function group .SIM$ contains:
    LIST_ASSIGNED_DEVICES, LIST_ASYNC, LIST_COMM_CONTROLLERS, LIST_CONFIG,
    LIST_DISKS, LIST_LAN_NODES, LIST_MEMORY, LIST_PRIMENET_LINKS,
    LIST_PRIMENET_NODES, LIST_PRIMENET_PORTS, LIST_PROCESS, LIST_SEMAPHORES,
    LIST_SYNC, LIST_UNITS, LIST_VCS, PRIVATE_LOGGER

What is PRIVATE_LOGGER? Is it okay, or do I need to create a new function group without that?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Andrew Marlow@21:1/5 to Jim Wilcoxson on Thu Sep 22 04:50:11 2016
    On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 15:15:37 UTC+1, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:

Well, I tried. I created "user access definition" DSM_USER$, with "function group" .SIM$, and added user GUEST to it. Then went to save it:
    [snip]

Looks to me like you have saved it correctly.

Don't apologise. I agree it's terrible. I said so at the time but was not listened to.

So after being forced to create a new DSM file, I'm assuming I have to activate it somehow. But START_DSM doesn't take a pathname, so I have no idea how to do that.

I can't remember but it might via the DISTRIBUTE_DSM command.
    There should be help on it via the help command. This is the only thing I can think of, it was all so long ago....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to Andrew Marlow on Thu Sep 22 06:49:46 2016
    On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 7:50:12 AM UTC-4, Andrew Marlow wrote:
    On Wednesday, 21 September 2016 15:15:37 UTC+1, Jim Wilcoxson wrote:

[snip]

Looks to me like you have saved it correctly.

Don't apologise. I agree it's terrible. I said so at the time but was not listened to.

So after being forced to create a new DSM file, I'm assuming I have to activate it somehow. But START_DSM doesn't take a pathname, so I have no idea how to do that.

I can't remember but it might via the DISTRIBUTE_DSM command.
    There should be help on it via the help command. This is the only thing I can think of, it was all so long ago....

If you research this and figure out what needs to be done, let me know and I'll try it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Boone@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 22 09:01:56 2016

The manual says that DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG should never be changed, and
    that it may be necessary to use COPY to manage config files. (That's
    largely aimed at multi-system networks, but the point of including it
    here is that it's legit to do that.)

The default config allegedly allows just SYSTEM on the local system to
    do any task.

It looks like the intended workflow is to write to DSM_RESTART.CONFIG.

De

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Dennis Boone@21:1/5 to All on Fri Sep 23 10:29:13 2016
    Cool!

Nice!

De

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Wilcoxson@21:1/5 to Dennis Boone on Fri Sep 23 06:59:53 2016
    On Thursday, September 22, 2016 at 10:02:01 AM UTC-4, Dennis Boone wrote:

The manual says that DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG should never be changed, and
    that it may be necessary to use COPY to manage config files. (That's
    largely aimed at multi-system networks, but the point of including it
    here is that it's legit to do that.)

The default config allegedly allows just SYSTEM on the local system to
    do any task.

It looks like the intended workflow is to write to DSM_RESTART.CONFIG.

De

Hey Dennis, thanks for checking this out. Here's what I did:

a dsm*
    OK, a config_files 1 2
    OK, ld

<SYS23K>DSM*>CONFIG_FILES (ALL access)
    56 records in this directory, 56 total records out of quota of 1234567.

8 Files.

DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG DSM_EMPTY.CONFIG DSM_JIM.CONFIG DSM_LOADED.CONFIG DSM_RESTART.CONFIG
    DSM_UMH.CONFIG DSM_UMH_DEFAULT.CONFIG PRIME_REGISTER.CONFIG

OK, ld -srtd

<SYS23K>DSM*>CONFIG_FILES (ALL access)
    56 records in this directory, 56 total records out of quota of 1234567.

8 Files.
    name date/time modified type rbf ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- DSM_JIM.CONFIG 21 Sep 16 10:09:24 dam
    DSM_LOADED.CONFIG
    18 Sep 16 11:41:52 dam
    DSM_UMH.CONFIG 17 Nov 11 16:40:36 dam
    DSM_RESTART.CONFIG
    20 Sep 07 16:01:36 dam
    DSM_DEFAULT.CONFIG
    06 Jul 94 15:09:32 dam
    DSM_EMPTY.CONFIG 06 Jul 94 15:09:32 dam
    DSM_UMH_DEFAULT.CONFIG
    PRIME_REGISTER.CONFIG

OK, cn DSM_RESTART.CONFIG DSM_RESTART_CONFIG.BAK
    OK, cn DSM_JIM.CONFIG DSM_RESTART.CONFIG
    OK, STOP_DSM
    [STOP_DSM Rev. 23.4.0.R48 Copyright (c) 1993, Computervision Corporation]
    [23 Sep 16 09:56:24 Friday]
    DSM shutdown in progress.
    OK, Warning: SYSTEM_MANAGER terminated. Event logging will not take place!

SYSTEM_MANAGER (user 41) logged out Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:24.
    Time used: 118h 14m connect, 00m 00s CPU, 00m 00s I/O.

DSM_LOGGER (user 40) logged out Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:24.

Phantom 41: Normal logout at 09:56

Phantom 40: Normal logout at 09:56

DSMSR (user 39) logged out Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:24.
    Time used: 118h 14m connect, 00m 01s CPU, 00m 00s I/O.

Phantom 39: Normal logout at 09:56
    Time used: 118h 14m connect, 00m 01s CPU, 00m 00s I/O.
    START_DSM
    [START_DSM Rev. 23.4.0.R48 Copyright (c) 1993, Computervision Corporation]
    23 Sep 16 09:56:36 Friday
    DSM initialization started.

DSMSR (user 42) logged in Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:36.
    OK,
    SYSTEM_MANAGER (user 44) logged in Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:36.

DSM_LOGGER (user 43) logged in Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:56:36.

*** DSMSR (user 42 on EM23) at 09:56
    DSM is now in a steady state.

Then I logged in as GUEST to see if it worked:

Welcome to the Prime Computer 50-series emulator, running Primos rev 23.4.Y2K.R1!

After logging in, use the Prime HELP command for assistance.
    You are welcome to create a directory under GUEST for your files.
    To report bugs or contact the author, send email to (Jim's email address)

Enjoy your time travels! -Jim Wilcoxson aka JIMMY

Login please.
    login guest
    Password:

GUEST (user 2) logged in Friday, 23 Sep 16 09:57:52.
    Welcome to PRIMOS version 23.4.Y2K.R1
    Copyright (c) Computervision, Corp. 1993.
    Last login Thursday, 22 Sep 16 10:00:20.

OK, list_users

One user:

2 GUEST(me)

2 phantoms:

26 TALK_SERVER 27 BATCH_SERVICE

9 servers:

1 SYSTEM 25 NETMAN 33 TIMER_PROCESS
    34 BUFFER_SERVER 35 LOGOUT_SERVER 36 LOGIN_SERVER
    42 DSMSR 43 DSM_LOGGER 44 SYSTEM_MANAGER
    OK, a cmdnc0
    OK, ld LIST@@

<SYS23K>CMDNC0 (LUR access)
    9113 records in this directory, 9113 total records out of quota of 0.

29 Files.

LIST.CPL LISTF.CPL LISTI.CPL LISTIN.CPL
    LISTING.CPL LIST_ASSIGNED_DEVICES.RUN LIST_ASYNC.RUN LIST_COMM_CONTROLLERS.RUN LIST_CONFIG.RUN LIST_CONTIGUOUS_BLOCKS.CPL LIST_DISKS.RUN LIST_LAN_NODES.RUN LIST_LHC_STATUS.RUN LIST_LTS_STATUS.RUN LIST_MEMORY.RUN LIST_MOUNTS.RUN LIST_PRIMENET_LINKS.RUN LIST_PRIMENET_NODES.RUN LIST_PRIMENET_PORTS.RUN LIST_PROCESS.RUN LIST_SCHEDULER_ATTRIBUTES.CPL
    LIST_SEMAPHORES.RUN LIST_SERVER_NAMES.RUN
    LIST_SESSIONS.RUN LIST_SSN.RUN LIST_SYNC.RUN
    LIST_UNITS.RUN LIST_USERS.RUN LIST_VCS.RUN

OK, list_memory
    [LIST_MEMORY Rev. 23.4.0.R48 Copyright (c) 1993, Computervision Corporation]

** EM23 **

Max. segments in system: 4351 Max. pages in system: 8192
    Total segments in use: 397 Total pages in use: 7135

User User Resident Wired
    No. type User name Segments pages pages +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ | 1 | terminal | SYSTEM | 250 | 6072 | 381 | | 2 | terminal | GUEST | 16 | 148 | 1 | | 25 | server | NETMAN | 5 | 31 | 1 | | 26 | phantom | TALK_SERVER | 19 | 86 | 1 | | 27 | phantom | BATCH_SERVICE | 11 | 107 | 1 | | 33 | server | TIMER_PROCESS | 3 | 4 | 1 | | 34 | server | BUFFER_SERVER | 3 | 4 | 1 | | 35 | server | LOGOUT_SERVER | 3 | 5 | 1 | | 36 | server | LOGIN_SERVER | 14 | 164 | 1 | | 42 | server | DSMSR | 20 | 181 | 1 | | 43 | server | DSM_LOGGER | 16 | 157 | 1 | | 44 | server | SYSTEM_MANAGER | 13 | 140 | 1 | --More-- +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------+ OK,

Cool!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Greg Field@21:1/5 to All on Sun Nov 4 18:18:42 2018
    Thank you. Helped me and Open/ed.

Checking what ED did during modify //xxx/ and modify /xxx/

Did anyone actually use Modify ?

-Greg.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/open-ed

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05