• Alternate 2200 emulation software

From kurt.duncan@juno.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Jun 11 15:14:14 2020
    If anyone is interested, my long-suffering emulator project is on github.

https://github.com/kduncan99/komodo

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Stephen Boyd@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 13 06:28:38 2020
    IS this actually runnable? If so, are there any documentation on how to run it?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From kurt.duncan@juno.com@21:1/5 to Stephen Boyd on Sat Jun 13 07:38:46 2020
    On Saturday, June 13, 2020 at 7:28:40 AM UTC-6, Stephen Boyd wrote:
    IS this actually runnable? If so, are there any documentation on how to run it?

The unit tests are runnable :-)
    No documentation as of yet; startup will be in a readme file. Operations stuff such as keyins, JK settings, how to configure the thing, etc will be part of the system console web interface.

The instruction processor code is about 2/3 complete.
    IO needs some serious attention.
    Interrupt handling is all there... I'm not entirely sure it's complete though.

Then... it needs an operating system.
    It departs from the standard SAIL interface in a way that makes it impossible for OS2200 to run on it.
    That could change, but the necessary information to do so, is unavailable.

I *do* have a significant body of work on an emulated OS, but it's in c++ and will have to be rewritten in assembler.

The goal is for most (for some value of most) existing 2200 software to run unmodified... And that will still be a long time coming.

Being in Java, it might be a bit less performant than one would want...
    But it will run on any major OS, and it is actually intended to be run in a container.

All user interaction is/will be via browser.

k.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Stephen Boyd@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jun 13 08:45:46 2020
    Sounds like you still have a ways to go. You have my sympathy.

I recently finished an emulator for the 494. Writing the emulator was the easy part. Writing an operating system for it was a PITA.

I'm still looking for some original 494 software to run on it but I'm not hopeful.

So, in the meantime I am writing an Algol 60 compiler for it. That is turning out the be harder than the emulator. :)

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Richard L. Hamilton@21:1/5 to Stephen Boyd on Sun Jun 14 07:21:01 2020
    In article <8c966c96-2859-4c38-b74f-96f2d149f270o@googlegroups.com>,
    Stephen Boyd <sboydlns@gmail.com> writes:
    Sounds like you still have a ways to go. You have my sympathy.

I recently finished an emulator for the 494. Writing the emulator was the easy part. Writing an operating system for it was a PITA.

I'm still looking for some original 494 software to run on it but I'm not hopeful.

So, in the meantime I am writing an Algol 60 compiler for it. That is turning out the be harder than the emulator. :)

OMG, I haven't even thought about a 494 in 30+ years. I recall someone had part of the control panel (with a clock in it? and the big rectangular light-up buttons)
    on their desk as a decoration, from one of 'em that had been scrapped.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05