• T4-1 5240 - How picky about mixing RAM versions?

From eastman5063@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Aug 29 15:58:37 2020
    I have recently come into a T4-1 5240 with 32GB of memory; 4x8. I am completely ignorant of this machine and the ILOM/OS way of things but if I can become comfortable with it I considered bumping the RAM to 64GB. If I recall the literature correctly,
    after adding four more sticks the next jump has to be to fill all the remaining 8 slots at one time. Too pricey for 128GB but 64 would be nice point at which to stop.

The memory is Sun-labeled Hynix, HMT31GR7BFR4A-H9 D7 AE 1144. Has a heat disspator. Sun PN 7014640. It seems to be pretty easy to find cheap memory that satisfies the bulk of the Hynix product number but there are variations in the characters following
    the "4" in "4A", on to the end character.

Is there a point in the Hynix's product number at which the (ILOM?) would throw an error and halt boot? The Sun Oracle docs use scarey words like "exactly the same", so I don't want to gamble and end up buying useless RAM. I have seen memory with the
    correct Sun PN but differing Hynix numbers, even an IBM product number sticker.

Thanks for whatever info you care to share. The box was reset to factory. A serial cable will arrive in a few days and I'll be able to get a better idea of what I'm going to get myself into. Interesting times.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Buzz McCool@21:1/5 to eastman5063@gmail.com on Wed Sep 9 08:48:35 2020
    On 8/29/20 3:58 PM, eastman5063@gmail.com wrote:
    ... Is there a point in the Hynix's product number at which the (ILOM?) would throw an error and halt boot? ...

Having been involved in memory work for Sun/Oracle a long time ago, I
    don't remember having to tell the ILOM guys anything about the vendor P/N.

That said, we rejected many DIMMs for not meeting signal integrity or reliability testing limits. So using memory approved by Sun/Oracle is
    wise if you don't want to run into memory problems down the road.

Buzz

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)