• Exact copy

From cxb5h7@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Oct 8 16:30:36 2018
    I'm trying to think of a way that I may make an exact copy of my work station. i.e run another computer, like a laptop or tower, as if it were my current work station. The goal of this is that currently my workstation communicates and controls the black
    box that controls my STM. And when the workstation is no longer repairable or down, I would like to have a computer that thinks it is the current workstation. I believe the current station communicates via pen connections , kinda like vga, I need to
    verify what hardware and soft were I need to allow the hardware to work, on top of what I have to do to 'clone' the current work station. I will update when I know specifically what connection I will need to work with.

to simplify,
    1.) How do I make another computer think it is my workstation?
    2.)If I need to do something like usb to 12 converter, what kind of software might I need to make this work.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to cxb5h7@gmail.com on Tue Oct 9 20:13:37 2018
    On 09/10/2018 00:30, cxb5h7@gmail.com wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a way that I may make an exact copy of my work station. i.e run another computer, like a laptop or tower, as if it were my current work station. The goal of this is that currently my workstation communicates and controls the
    black box that controls my STM. And when the workstation is no longer repairable or down, I would like to have a computer that thinks it is the current workstation. I believe the current station communicates via pen connections , kinda like vga, I need
    to verify what hardware and soft were I need to allow the hardware to work, on top of what I have to do to 'clone' the current work station. I will update when I know specifically what connection I will need to work with.

to simplify,
    1.) How do I make another computer think it is my workstation?
    2.)If I need to do something like usb to 12 converter, what kind of software might I need to make this work.

Is your workstation SPARC or x86?
    Solaris 10 or 11 ? Or older ?

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
    There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From cxb5h7@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Oct 10 08:10:36 2018

The order sheet says Solaris V2.5 as the operating system
    the driver tape: Omicron V2.3
    Workstation info says : sun4m, SPARC, sun4m for work station type and under OS: sunOS 5.5

If this is not the information you seek, How might I figure it out?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to cxb5h7@gmail.com on Thu Oct 11 08:52:39 2018
    On 10/10/2018 16:10, cxb5h7@gmail.com wrote:

The order sheet says Solaris V2.5 as the operating system
    the driver tape: Omicron V2.3
    Workstation info says : sun4m, SPARC, sun4m for work station type and under OS: sunOS 5.5

If this is not the information you seek, How might I figure it out?

I was hoping for something newer :-)

IIRC, flar was not in Solaris 2.5, so not an easy option of archive and
    create.

Next questions are what is your target platform, you mention tower or
    desktop. Do we presume you want to use x86 ?

What is the software you want to run ?

What is the current workstation ?

It might be easier to pick up a newer (used) box and ufsdump/ufsrestore.

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
    There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05