• Sun Spac Enterprise T5120 won't power on

From MSyS@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 29 06:01:33 2018
    Hello,
    I have following error when I try to power on it: "FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power down." There's also another critical msg's : "FATAL: Polling POK Status Time Out: 0x9f". Running a "show /SP/faultmgmt" command didn'
    t return any results. So can i move disks (2x146GB SAS 10K configured as mirrored raid - raidctl) from failed server to another Sun Spac Enterprise T5120 ? Is it possible ? Thanx.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Scott Packard@21:1/5 to MSyS on Thu Mar 29 11:48:54 2018
    On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 6:01:34 AM UTC-7, MSyS wrote:
    Hello,
    I have following error when I try to power on it: "FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power down." There's also another critical msg's : "FATAL: Polling POK Status Time Out: 0x9f". Running a "show /SP/faultmgmt" command
    didn't return any results. So can i move disks (2x146GB SAS 10K configured as mirrored raid - raidctl) from failed server to another Sun Spac Enterprise T5120 ? Is it possible ? Thanx.

I don't have specific T5120 experience, but there should be enough information written to the HDDs that you can move the HW mirror and it'll work.
    Looks like it's an CRU part, an HBA controller, so if you really want to be sure you could move the HBA and the HDDs to the new host. That's assuming the motherboard doesn't have a SAS HBA built into it.

Regards, Scott

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MSyS@21:1/5 to All on Thu Mar 29 20:19:32 2018
    пятница, 30 марта 2018 г., 0:48:56 UTC+6 пользователь Scott Packard написал:
    Hello,
    I have following error when I try to power on it: "FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power down." There's also another critical msg's : "FATAL: Polling POK Status Time Out: 0x9f". Running a "show /SP/faultmgmt" command
    didn't return any results. So can i move disks (2x146GB SAS 10K configured as mirrored raid - raidctl) from failed server to another Sun Spac Enterprise T5120 ? Is it possible ? Thanx.

I don't have specific T5120 experience, but there should be enough information written to the HDDs that you can move the HW mirror and it'll work.
    Looks like it's an CRU part, an HBA controller, so if you really want to be sure you could move the HBA and the HDDs to the new host. That's assuming the motherboard doesn't have a SAS HBA built into it.

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott
    Unfortunately the motherboard with integrated SAS HBA(LSI).So can i mount the HDDs on the new host and copy files from it ?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to MSyS on Fri Mar 30 10:35:21 2018
    On 30/03/2018 04:19, MSyS wrote:
    Hello,

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott
    Unfortunately the motherboard with integrated SAS HBA(LSI).So can i mount the HDDs on the new host and copy files from it ?

If they are zpools (why would they not be ....:-) ), then you should
    just be able to import (rename in required) and move the files.

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/
    There *is* an alternative! http://www.openoffice.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MSyS@21:1/5 to All on Fri Mar 30 04:22:01 2018
    пятница, 30 марта 2018 г., 15:35:22 UTC+6 пользователь YTC#1 написал:
    On 30/03/2018 04:19, MSyS wrote:
    Hello,

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott

If they are zpools (why would they not be ....:-) ), then you should
    just be able to import (rename in required) and move the files.

--
    Bruce Porter
    "The internet is a huge and diverse community but mainly friendly" http://ytc1.blogspot.co.uk/

Thank you,Bruce
    But there is no Zpool.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Scott Packard@21:1/5 to MSyS on Fri Mar 30 18:59:17 2018
    On Thursday, March 29, 2018 at 8:19:33 PM UTC-7, MSyS wrote:
    Hello,

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott

If it were me I'd give it a try, watching for the RAID volume to appear in the new server. Seems the worst that can happen is you won't see RAID volume, and you won't see any OS to boot.

YTC#1 is partly correct - you probably have a rpool (a root zpool), and run root dataset also. If you're using the motherboard-based HBA, then I'd try to use that on the new motherboard too. If the device numbers change (I'd imagine they will change
    if you don't use the motherboard-based HBA on the new host) then the rpool may complain. I'm not sure it will, but I seem to recall zpools are sensitive to underlying devices.

Regards, Scott

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From MSyS@21:1/5 to All on Mon Apr 2 02:22:15 2018
    суббота, 31 марта 2018 г., 7:59:19 UTC+6 пользователь Scott Packard написал:
    Hello,
    I have following error when I try to power on it: "FATAL: The HOST Processor has a configuration error, forcing a power down." There's also another critical msg's : "FATAL: Polling POK Status Time Out: 0x9f". Running a "show /SP/faultmgmt"
    command didn't return any results. So can i move disks (2x146GB SAS 10K configured as mirrored raid - raidctl) from failed server to another Sun Spac Enterprise T5120 ? Is it possible ? Thanx.

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott

If it were me I'd give it a try, watching for the RAID volume to appear in the new server. Seems the worst that can happen is you won't see RAID volume, and you won't see any OS to boot.

YTC#1 is partly correct - you probably have a rpool (a root zpool), and run root dataset also. If you're using the motherboard-based HBA, then I'd try to use that on the new motherboard too. If the device numbers change (I'd imagine they will change
    if you don't use the motherboard-based HBA on the new host) then the rpool may complain. I'm not sure it will, but I seem to recall zpools are sensitive to underlying devices.

Regards, Scott

Thank you, Scott!
    I would try

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Chris@21:1/5 to MSyS on Mon Apr 2 16:13:07 2018
    On 04/02/18 09:22, MSyS wrote:
    суббота, 31 марта 2018 г., 7:59:19 UTC+6 пользователь Scott Packard написал:
    Hello,

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott

YTC#1 is partly correct - you probably have a rpool (a root zpool), and run root dataset also. If you're using the motherboard-based HBA, then I'd try to use that on the new motherboard too. If the device numbers change (I'd imagine they will
    change if you don't use the motherboard-based HBA on the new host) then the rpool may complain. I'm not sure it will, but I seem to recall zpools are sensitive to underlying devices.

Regards, Scott

Thank you, Scott!
    I would try

If its a mirrored raid, ie: hardware raid, you should be able to move
    just one of the 2 drives to the new box and check it will boot. Put
    the other drive to one side, then you still have access to the data if
    a drive becomes corrupted in the new box. Hardware raid has 2 drives
    with identical data, though not sure about boot block, so perhaps try
    both drives in the new machine.

Network interfaces won't play out of the box, from memory, as the mac
    addresses won't be the same...

Regards,

Chris

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YTC#1@21:1/5 to Scott Packard on Tue Apr 3 09:29:33 2018
    On 31/03/2018 02:59, Scott Packard wrote:
    Hello,

Regards, Scott

Thank you,Scott

Zpools don't care what the original device ID/names where/are. ZFS scans
    the disk, sees the header and imports the pool onto whatever the device is.

But as the OP seems to be using on board RAID, and has not used ZFS his
    task will not be so easy.

--
    Bruce Porter

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05