• Sword of Aragon (SoA) Points and how to get them.

From Liliput@21:1/5 to Louie on Sun Jul 22 05:17:21 2018
    On Tuesday, 13 August 1996 03:00:00 UTC-4, Louie wrote:
    The following are the points awarded in Sword of Aragon,
    and how to get them. Be warned: if you do things such as
    taking cities "out of order", or it you fail to do the right
    thing, then a different set of points may be available. Your
    total, however, is less.

Actually there is a bugs where you can get unlimited heros or unit.
    The way it works, you must have unsufficient fund first. Let say
    At first play, you spend all money for just unit.

In this case, you are Ranger, then u build 2 horsebow unit. spend all your money until you only have less than 200 gold.

Then the bugs works, you start Hired a Mage / Warrior / Knight / Make unit of n troops (you cant do at month 0 because no reserved, but later you can build extra troops for free),

There will be message Insuffficent Fund, when you try to hire a 300 gold heros. Let it be, just keep hire, for example, you hire 10 mages, and 10 priest..

After hire 10 times (with message unsufficent fund), then you go Next Month...

You must check at the very left top corner, in the ocean, usually still nothing.
    Then you go next again, then there they are..

Your heros / unit that you cant hire are stuck there..

But when you want to move them, it can not because block terrain (water ocean).

The trick, select all them, move them to the north west(press the Home 7 button of your keyboard 1 time, then move them to the south east (the 3 Pgdn keyboard). Then they are yours..

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From hotdogfrank111@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Liliput on Sun Sep 23 18:28:08 2018
    On Sunday, July 22, 2018 at 5:17:22 AM UTC-7, Liliput wrote:
    On Tuesday, 13 August 1996 03:00:00 UTC-4, Louie wrote:
    total, however, is less.

Actually there is a bugs where you can get unlimited heros or unit.
    The way it works, you must have unsufficient fund first. Let say
    At first play, you spend all money for just unit.

In this case, you are Ranger, then u build 2 horsebow unit. spend all your money until you only have less than 200 gold.

Then the bugs works, you start Hired a Mage / Warrior / Knight / Make unit of n troops (you cant do at month 0 because no reserved, but later you can build extra troops for free),

There will be message Insuffficent Fund, when you try to hire a 300 gold heros. Let it be, just keep hire, for example, you hire 10 mages, and 10 priest..

After hire 10 times (with message unsufficent fund), then you go Next Month...

You must check at the very left top corner, in the ocean, usually still nothing.
    Then you go next again, then there they are..

Your heros / unit that you cant hire are stuck there..

But when you want to move them, it can not because block terrain (water ocean).

The trick, select all them, move them to the north west(press the Home 7 button of your keyboard 1 time, then move them to the south east (the 3 Pgdn keyboard). Then they are yours..

Do you know that this post is 22 years old? I doubt this person will ever read your response. We don't even know if this person is still alive. A lot can happen in 22 years.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Luebke@21:1/5 to All on Tue Sep 15 10:26:08 2020
    Pretty wild that anyone checks this anymore. Even wilder that I actually remember all this after what, 30 years?

Anyway, if you don't mind being a perfidious wretch, you can get near-infinite levels and near-infinite gold by repeatedly ganking Xafanta.

The dwarves do not sally out of their impenetrable fortress. Even while it's burning down. Once at least one of your Mages is high enough level to have Pyro, just show up and cast it over and over. The first time or two you try this, you may have to
    show up with some bowmen to actually score a victory, but eventually you'll be able to hit all of their units (and wipe out all but the heroes) with a single spell.

Throw in a couple of Earthquakes too, if you'd like to see the dwarves defending a progressively less impressive fortress, and to deal with those tough-to-remove heroes!

Just move all your troops out of the city at the end of the month to get the dwarves to respawn. With all 84000 of their gold. If you go in with all your heroes and get a 100% victory, you can get 3-5 levels apiece. You can powerlevel your mages (10+
    levels an iteration) if you go in with only a few.

Any other heroes who are along for the ride split the XP too, of course. And 84000 gold is certainly worthwhile, if you love developing your cities for the sake of developing your cities (even the monster ones like Char and Zarnix). Careful of months
    with attrition, your mage could spontaneously vanish. And I think your level counter might turn over at some point, be careful of that.

Use this technique if you want to win the second half of the game JRPG-style, with just a set of heroes, using armies for garrisons and nothing else. Of course, your Mages will be completely OP, and can often win battles simply by casting Pyro on
    themselves, and watch every enemy unit on the battlefield vanish.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jim Luebke@21:1/5 to Louie on Tue Sep 15 10:28:56 2020
    On Tuesday, August 13, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Louie wrote:
    total, however, is less.

0 Goblin camp NE of Marina. There's no way to rescue girl.

Thanks so much for confirming this! It always drove me nuts, wondering if I was doing something wrong.

By the way, is there any legitimate source for this game (or other SSI games) online these days? It's not on either GoG or Steam, last I checked.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From TotalCowage@21:1/5 to Jim Luebke on Sat Dec 18 20:36:53 2021
    On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 at 18:28:57 UTC+1, Jim Luebke wrote:
    total, however, is less.
    Thanks so much for confirming this! It always drove me nuts, wondering if I was doing something wrong.

By the way, is there any legitimate source for this game (or other SSI games) online these days? It's not on either GoG or Steam, last I checked.

Ahh nostalgia... I'm just idly playing the Amiga version under emulation, managed back in the day to get all my Amiga saves over to PC and still have them decades later! And I don't remember this being so frustrating, but that's another story! Just
    wanted to say, if you're still looking, that the PC version is now on Good Old Games;

https://www.gog.com/game/sword_of_aragon

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Menachem Pritzker@21:1/5 to Jim Luebke on Fri Oct 28 05:34:11 2022
    Just got rereleased on Steam last month. I created a steam account just to buy the game, hadn't played it since 1993ish

On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 8:28:57 PM UTC+3, Jim Luebke wrote:
    total, however, is less.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05