• Warcraft 2: Computer "Cheating"

From richard.spadoni@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Brian Coleman on Sat May 23 13:09:15 2020
    On Saturday, December 16, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Brian Coleman wrote:
    Okay, this is another one of my little gripes.
    I keep seeing people referring to the so called "cheating" that
    is supposedly so blatant on the computer's side in Warcraft II; most of these people are the ones that claim the AI is moronic. (Disclaimer:
    Though I'm sure I'll be accused of it, I never said the AI was brilliant.)
    My question is this: how can you say that the computer is
    cheating? If you start a scenario with a flying machine and you go over
    and watch the computer build, you'll see that it does everything by the rules. It's just that it's perfectly efficient in collecting resources;
    it never has peasants/peons standing idle while it's working on something else, and it knows exactly how many to put on lumber and how many on
    gold, and it knows exactly how many farms it needs, etc.
    I have watched this more than once. If you watch what the
    computer does and follow the method it uses, you can accomplish the same thing it does.
    How is this cheating?

Brian E. Coleman

I don't know if it's cheating, but the AI can see through groves of trees. I had a death knight who had just been trained on one side of a tree line and a paladin suddenly appeared an exorcised him as soon as he got into range, from the other side of the
    tree line. And no air units had gone overhead. And don't try to tell me he used his magic vision immediately after my dk was trained. The AI knew exactly where he was.
    ............................................................................
    : Duct Tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it: : holds the universe together. The only difference is that "May The Force : : be with you" sounds a lot nicer than "May you be covered in duct tape." : :..........................................................................:

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)