• Need to get data off failing SD card.

From nospam@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 10:04:51 2018
    In article <c157cec3-57a7-4657-ba7f-06434374abd5@googlegroups.com>, <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

Anyone know a lateral thinking way of getting jpg files off an SD card please?

put it in a card reader and drag them off.

This 32 gb card has a directory on it with 13 gb in picture files. I can open the directory with the corruption in it and see the pics. There are 1500 pics on it. The COPY function will copy about 25 pics. Then I get an i/o error when copy tries to read the corrupted files and the whole drive disappears from the desktop!.

then use a recovery utility, which may not get everything if there are
    i/o errors.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 07:03:00 2018

This 32 gb card has a directory on it with 13 gb in picture files. I can open the directory with the corruption in it and see the pics. There are 1500 pics on it. The COPY function will copy about 25 pics. Then I get an i/o error when copy tries to read
    the corrupted files and the whole drive disappears from the desktop!.

Finder actually sees the contents of the directory as a list but as soon as I implement preview and preview tries to access the corrupted files, the drive disappears from the desktop.

If I dont try to read from the corrupted part of the drive, it seems fairly stable. I could

copy a 1gb folder of pics off it
    identify other directories on it that could be deleted,
    delete them,
    delete the whole 1gb directory,
    run FIrst Aid on the whole drive from DU,

but immediately I try to do anything with the corrupted files (or, indeed, the corrupted part of the SD card where those files reside, the drive disappears from the desktop. I even tried creating an iso of the SD card, but as soon as any reading is done
    of the corruption, the drive disappears from the desktop.

Does anyone have ani ideas please?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 07:55:03 2018

put it in a card reader and drag them off.

(the card dies immediately I try to look in the directory now)

i/o errors.

Thanks for that. Any idea what recovery utility might work without reading the drive? I dont know how much of the SD is corrupted but I would appreciate any files it might manage

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nospam@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 11:07:00 2018
    In article <b5b2e622-2953-4bba-b18a-a309d3c9fb9a@googlegroups.com>, <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

i/o errors.

Thanks for that. Any idea what recovery utility might work without reading the drive?

a recovery utility *must* read the drive to be able to recover anything.

there are numerous options. i like photo rescue.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 08:29:39 2018
    yes, I was wondering about that, but the sequence it uses is relevant.

Using your advice and Softnote Data Recovery, I managed to get 575 more files off the drive before it tried to read a corrupted file! Subsequent searches on the folder found no files, indicating that might have marked files as recovered? (only for its
    own purposes)

Possibly if I try some other software, it might read in a different sequence and recover more files?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nospam@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 11:44:13 2018
    In article <207ba89f-07f6-4096-8d35-62a5d64294fa@googlegroups.com>, <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh, and though I can see the pics in its progress chart, the recovered files are stored in a jpg format unknown to Photoshop, which is perhaps less than useful

then it's not jpeg, likely corrupt.

If you disclaim Softtote, Were you 'recommending' some other data recovery software?

i was.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 08:41:17 2018
    Oh, and though I can see the pics in its progress chart, the recovered files are stored in a jpg format unknown to Photoshop, which is perhaps less than useful

If you disclaim Softtote, Were you 'recommending' some other data recovery software?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From nospam@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 11:33:18 2018
    In article <984daf3d-790c-4caa-8d2a-294736d3b02b@googlegroups.com>, <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

Using your advice and So..

i did not suggest that. you're clearly spamming.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 09:25:43 2018

i was.

Have you found one to be better than the others? I The Softtote one cant even read the files it recovers using its own internal view utility!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 18:23:56 2018
    <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh, and though I can see the pics in its progress chart, the recovered
    files are stored in a jpg format unknown to Photoshop, which is perhaps less than useful

He specifically mentioned one called Photo Rescue, which you can easily see
    in the thread history. Are you new to Usenet or something?

--
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 18:24:57 2018
    <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:

If you disclaim Softtote, Were you 'recommending' some other data recovery >>> software?

i was.

Have you found one to be better than the others? I The Softtote one cant even read the files it recovers using its own internal view utility!

No rescue utility will be able to read corrupt data. That’s just a cold,
    hard fact of life.

You should always back up your important data for this very reason. In fact it’s far better to spend time and money on a solid backup strategy than spending it on data recovery utilities after you’ve lost data.

--

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to licensedtoquill@gmail.com on Wed Mar 7 21:46:25 2018
    On 2018-03-07, licensedtoquill@gmail.com <licensedtoquill@gmail.com> wrote:
    Not new to usenet but I AM using google groups and for some reason, that part of the thread doesnt come through/is still not there

Thanks for bring it to my attention

Google Groups really sucks ass for many reasons. Use a real news client!

--

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From licensedtoquill@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Mar 7 13:39:12 2018
    Not new to usenet but I AM using google groups and for some reason, that part of the thread doesnt come through/is still not there

Thanks for bring it to my attention

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05