• =?UTF-8?B?TUMyMTggaW50ZXJuZXQgY29ubmVjdGlvbiB2aWEgd2luMTAgdXNpbmcgcnMyM

From =?UTF-8?B?RmxpcENoaXAoVE0p?=@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 19 00:22:57 2019
    I've got MC218 and tried to find info on interwebs how to connect it via rs232 to windows 10 machine and the to the internet.

What do one need to have in order to achive this?

I have no experience with Windows machines for over 15 or so years ... more like 20 years ...

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From paltoran@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Aug 2 07:56:47 2019
    Hi FlipChip

It is difficult to get Windows 10 to work with EPOC32 (and older Series 3 machines) because PsiWin 2 is so old. The way a lot of people have got this to work is to use Windows XP in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, for example) and install PsiWin 2.3.3 in
    that.

If you're a Linux user and are happy to get your hands dirty, try installing plptools. As with most things on Linux it takes a little work, but it's been very reliable for me.

If you're usually a Mac user, there was some old Mac software that might work. (I haven't tried this.) You can download it here: https://psion.gtkc.net/psion-gmbh/mac/

Note that the VirtualBox/WinXP solution will work on macOS and Linux, too.

Hope this helps!
    Alex

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From =?UTF-8?B?RmxpcENoaXAoVE0p?=@21:1/5 to paltoran@gmail.com on Sun Aug 4 15:42:24 2019
    On Fri Aug 2 07:56:47 2019 paltoran@gmail.com wrote:
    Hi FlipChip

It is difficult to get Windows 10 to work with EPOC32 (and older Series 3 machines) because PsiWin 2 is so old. The way a lot of people have got this to work is to use Windows XP in a virtual machine (VirtualBox, for example) and install PsiWin 2.3.3
    in that.

If you're a Linux user and are happy to get your hands dirty, try installing plptools. As with most things on Linux it takes a little work, but it's been very reliable for me.

If you're usually a Mac user, there was some old Mac software that might work. (I haven't tried this.) You can download it here: https://psion.gtkc.net/psion-gmbh/mac/

Note that the VirtualBox/WinXP solution will work on macOS and Linux, too.

Hope this helps!
    Alex
    \\

Thanks for the answer!

Only machine I got that still have rs232 port is my brand new GPD Micro PC thingie that is awesome, btw :)

So I'll have to rock with VM then. I wasn't sure about this but somehow was thinking something like this.

I have been solely Unix user for decades but laptops nowadays don't have anymore rs232 ports as we all know. Nullmodems are for people like us who fool around with good old tech that really works :D

I'll go for VM/WinXP combo then.

Cheers!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05