• Thunderbolt<->Firewire Adapter Issues

From tedsettle@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Fred Moore on Sat Jan 7 17:29:09 2017
    On Tuesday, October 29, 2013 at 12:05:14 PM UTC-4, Fred Moore wrote:
    There have been quite a few reports of problems with Firewire drives connected to Macs with the TB-FW dongle. Here is part of one posted
    today on Macintouch by Samuel Herschbein <http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/index.html#d29oct2013
    :

"...Since my MacBook has no FireWire or Ethernet, I use Apple's
    Thunderbolt adapters. Both adapters have problems being recognized. The Ethernet usually works, but the FireWire usually requires either
    multiple unplugging and plugging or a restart. I've tried various
    sequences of connecting the FireWire adapter to the Mac, the drive to
    the adapter, and powering the drive on. When the drive is unrecognized, checking System Information doesn't show any FireWire devices
    connected...."

This could be a major concern for those of us with large arrays of FW peripherals. Might be a persuasive reason to choose a Mini, which has a
    real FW port, over an iMac. Does anyone here have experience or insight
    with this problem?

The new mac mini does not have a fire wire port. I bought an adapter for my G-Drive external hard drives, firewire and could not get it to work, only a constant dink dink dink. I added the power cord and it started right up. So now I can view my G
    Drive and down load images with Lightroom/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Davoud@21:1/5 to All on Sun Jan 8 01:51:12 2017
    Fred Moore:
    This could be a major concern for those of us with large arrays of FW peripherals.

For us, yes. For Apple, obviously not. They don't give a rat's knobby
    little kneecaps what you and I have, or that we swallowed their line
    that FireWire was the wave of the future. "You f***ed up... you trusted
    us!" -- Otter to Flounder in Animal House.

--
    I agree with almost everything that you have said and almost everything that you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)