• Re: Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice

From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Fri Dec 31 20:10:05 2021
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.systems, comp.sys.mac.misc
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.portables

Disk Utility app found no issues in all of SSD's APFS default three
    partitions. Also, I found out it is 90 days warranty and not a year.
    Oops. :(

In comp.sys.mac.portables Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
    Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and used it for a few minutes. It was fine and
    then it froze hard.

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours from its idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And then, it froze hard right away.

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at
    all. I even tried to reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see
    if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old (12/29/2020) 13" 2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB
    PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

Is there anything else to try before going to an Apple store to diagnose and fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
    --
    Go away 2021. 2022, please be better! :) NY (Eve)! 2.5-<3" rain fell over the last 2 days. Dang new issues! RIP, Betty White! 99?! :( More like rad 80 2 me.
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    /\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ http://aqfl.net & http://antfarm.home.dhs.org.
    / /\ /\ \ Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From David Brooks@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Jan 1 10:05:28 2022

On 01/01/2022 02:10, Ant wrote:
    Disk Utility app found no issues in all of SSD's APFS default three partitions. Also, I found out it is 90 days warranty and not a year.

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and used it for a few minutes. It was fine and
    then it froze hard.

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours from its idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And then, it froze hard right away.

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at
    all. I even tried to reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old (12/29/2020) 13" 2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB
    PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

Is there anything else to try before going to an Apple store to diagnose and fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Remove the battery
    Press and hold down the power key for 20 seconds.
    Insert the battery
    Hold down the 'shift' key and press the power-on button
    If lucky, your machine will start in Safe Boot mode!
    Restart and hoefully you'll be back up-and-running again!

HTH

Happy New Year!

--
    David

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YK@21:1/5 to David Brooks on Sat Jan 1 18:16:01 2022
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.system, comp.sys.mac.portables

On 1/1/22 5:05 AM, David Brooks wrote:

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice
    minutes after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were
    still connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its
    lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account,
    and used it for a few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours
    from its idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same
    standard account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And
    then, it froze hard right away.

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal
    trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't
    respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and
    reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even
    tried to reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt
    it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F)
    indoor from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running
    Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old
    (12/29/2020) 13" 2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core
    i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost
    up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD,
    Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB
    C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's
    HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

Is there anything else to try before going to an Apple store to
    diagnose and fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from
    12/29/2020. :( Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Remove the battery
    Insert the battery

HTH

Happy New Year!

David,

You are aware that removing the battery in a 13" MBP is not an easy
    task? They started gluing the battery in when they designed the first
    13" retina in 2012. 9 plus years and you still are thinking about the
    2012 non-Retina units are the the same as the new ones.

YK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From YK@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Jan 1 19:12:42 2022

On 12/31/21 9:10 PM, Ant wrote:
    Disk Utility app found no issues in all of SSD's APFS default three partitions. Also, I found out it is 90 days warranty and not a year.

Hello.

then it froze hard.

Have you tried:
    Resetting the SMC?
    Zapping the PRAM
    Reinstalling the OS?

You are late as the one year warranty has expired for a few days. The 90
    days was for phone support.

YK

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wolffan@21:1/5 to Ant on Sat Jan 1 19:53:36 2022

On 2021 Dec 31, Ant wrote
    (in article<862dnbBBQ7dgKlL8nZ2dnUU7-N2dnZ2d@earthlink.com>):

Hello.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and used it for a few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old (12/29/2020) 13" 2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

1 try booting to a different account. In fact, try booting to an admin
    account. Unplug all external devices, just use the built-in monitor,
    keyboard, trackpad.

2 try reinstalling the system from the emergency boot partition

3 try resetting the SMC and the PRAM

4 you had a year’s warranty. That’s gone as of 28 Dec, but Apple is
    usually pretty good about not cutting things off at the exact date. Call in
    and make an appointment with the local Apple Store.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Wolffan@21:1/5 to David Brooks on Sat Jan 1 20:00:50 2022

On 2022 Jan 01, David Brooks wrote
    (in article <IHVzJ.1198196$eFGb.426607@fx14.ams1>):

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes
    after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and used it
    for a few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old (12/29/2020) 13" 2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB
    mouse.

Is there anything else to try before going to an Apple store to diagnose and fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank
    you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Remove the battery

you’re an idiot. ‘remove the battery’? on a 13” 2020 MBP? That’ll
    be very difficult and will instantly void the warranty. The battery is, officially, NOT removable. A quick trip to iFixit should disabuse you of any thought of ‘removing the battery’. Oh. Wait. It’s Our David. There’s nothing too bloody stipid for you to try.

Insert the battery

HTH

Happy New Year!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to youkidding@yahoo.com on Sun Jan 2 08:51:47 2022

In comp.sys.mac.portables YK <youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:
    Have you tried:
    Resetting the SMC?
    Zapping the PRAM
    Reinstalling the OS?

I will try those if it happens again. I haven't seen any new incidents so
    far.

Oh, phone support. Yeah, Apple's web site said no more support when I entered MBP's serial # a couple nights ago. Darn it! It's always a bad timing. I also found out the local Apple retail stores are currently closed again if I
    needed to take it in. :( I'm hoping this won't happen due to the surging Omnicron strain.

--
    :) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2!
    Note: A fixed width font (Courier, Monospace, etc.) is required to see this signature correctly.
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Wolffan on Sun Jan 2 08:54:41 2022

In comp.sys.mac.portables Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
    1 try booting to a different account. In fact, try booting to an admin account. Unplug all external devices, just use the built-in monitor, keyboard, trackpad.

The incident #2, from a couple days ago, froze after logging out of a macOS account to the login screen.

That will be a last item if below ideas don't work.

OK if it happens again. Or should I try them soon even if I haven't had any
    new incidents since my last post (two lock ups)?

4 you had a year???s warranty. That???s gone as of 28 Dec, but Apple is usually pretty good about not cutting things off at the exact date. Call in and make an appointment with the local Apple Store.

OK. Too bad the local stores are closed again due to the panademic. Argh. :(
    --
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Sun Jan 2 10:33:09 2022

In comp.sys.mac.portables Wolffan <akwolffan@zoho.com> wrote:
    1 try booting to a different account. In fact, try booting to an admin account. Unplug all external devices, just use the built-in monitor, keyboard, trackpad.

The incident #2, from a couple days ago, froze after logging out of a macOS account to the login screen.

That will be a last item if below ideas don't work.

OK if it happens again. Or should I try them soon even if I haven't had any new incidents since my last post (two lock ups)?

Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try reseting MBP's NVRAM
    first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got
    stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

Anyways, I continued on to reset VRAM from https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html's
    instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

To reset your NVRAM, you use exactly the same procedure you once used to reset PRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Press the power button, and as soon as you power up the laptop, hold down Command-Option-P-R.
    3. Keep holding down those keys for about 20 seconds. Then let go and allow your Mac to continue starting normally..."

Step #3 took a while to start up again after pressing all keys down for
    about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands,
    without thumbs, had a hard time pressing all. And then, about ten seconds later, MBP booted by itself. I hope that's normal.

Also, does "nvram ???-c" trick not work? It shows:
    % nvram -c
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-computer-name: (iokit/common) not permitted
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-mobileme-token-FMM: (iokit/common) not permitted
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-mobileme-token-FMM-BridgeHasAccount: (iokit/common) not permitted
    I even tried with sudo.

I'll try SMC reset if that doesn't fix it.
    --
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 4 01:38:16 2022
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.misc, comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.systems

On Jan 1, 2022 at 2:05:28 AM PST, "David Brooks" <David@geemail.invalid>
    wrote:

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes >>> after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still >>> connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up,
    relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and used it for a
    few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours from its >>> idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard
    account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And then, it froze >>> hard right away.

trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. >>> Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external
    powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to reproduce this hard >>> lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it >>> had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and >>> rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its
    internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

I'm wondering if there is a hardware issue in this year old (12/29/2020) 13"
    2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core >>> 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of
    3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big
    Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS
    VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

Is there anything else to try before going to an Apple store to diagnose and
    fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank you >>> for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Remove the battery
    Insert the battery

Close, but I think the following was the intent. If not, consider it new recommendations:

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
    1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Unplug the MagSafe from your computer.
    3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button. Hold these keys AND the power button for 10 seconds.
    4. Release all keys.
    5. Reconnect the power adapter.
    6. Press the power button again to boot.

Follow with this:

Start in safe mode:
    1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
    2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.
    3. To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 4 01:46:50 2022

I started having issues in the end of December with Catalina 11.6.2. Found
    some disk errors and that wouldn't clean so I did this:

Wiped the internal SSD.
    Reinstalled the OS.
    Restored from Time Machine.

Sadly the crashes I was having continued. I think they were related to
    external software and 3rd party software that were making "suddenly illegal" attempt to get to Keychain Access or some such. I don't know, but they were SecurityAgent related, so I called Apple, got a novice, who knew *nothing*, a rare occurence. She was quick to see I was behind on the OS, so she wouldn't bump me to 2nd tier and recommended I move to Monterrey and was glad to be
    done with me.

What the hell, I did. It works great now, no issues at all.

I was having some kind of issues a year or two ago, mostly with midi, audio recording and Logic Pro X; I forget the details. I got to 2nd tier support and they guy was really into home audio production so I learned a lot as we slowly went about addressing my issues. He recommended I reinstall the OS, which I
    was reluctant to do. He was really blithe about the whole thing, while I was generally nervous. He told me he reinstalled the OS frequently "every month or two", he said. What the hell for? It just keeps things neat and tidy.

Honestly. Since then I've run into a few inscrutable issues, reinstalled the
    OS and was surprised to see them vaporize.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to gtr on Mon Jan 3 21:16:59 2022

In comp.sys.mac.portables gtr <xxx@yyy.zzz> wrote:
    I started having issues in the end of December with Catalina 11.6.2. Found some disk errors and that wouldn't clean so I did this:

Wait. Big Sur is v11.6. Catalina is v10.5.

Wiped the internal SSD.
    Reinstalled the OS.

Sadly the crashes I was having continued. I think they were related to external software and 3rd party software that were making "suddenly illegal" attempt to get to Keychain Access or some such. I don't know, but they were SecurityAgent related, so I called Apple, got a novice, who knew *nothing*, a rare occurence. She was quick to see I was behind on the OS, so she wouldn't bump me to 2nd tier and recommended I move to Monterrey and was glad to be done with me.

I was having some kind of issues a year or two ago, mostly with midi, audio recording and Logic Pro X; I forget the details. I got to 2nd tier support and
    they guy was really into home audio production so I learned a lot as we slowly
    went about addressing my issues. He recommended I reinstall the OS, which I was reluctant to do. He was really blithe about the whole thing, while I was generally nervous. He told me he reinstalled the OS frequently "every month or
    two", he said. What the hell for? It just keeps things neat and tidy.

Honestly. Since then I've run into a few inscrutable issues, reinstalled the OS and was surprised to see them vaporize.

Weird. You could had tried a clean OS reinstall before migrating your
    datas back into it first.

--
    :) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2, but it's seems da same so far. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Mon Jan 3 21:20:14 2022

In comp.sys.mac.system Ant <ant@zimage.comant> wrote:
    Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got
    stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

Anyways, I continued on to reset VRAM from https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html's
    instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

To reset your NVRAM, you use exactly the same procedure you once used to reset PRAM.

1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Press the power button, and as soon as you power up the laptop, hold down Command-Option-P-R.
    3. Keep holding down those keys for about 20 seconds. Then let go and allow your Mac to continue starting normally..."

about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands,
    without thumbs, had a hard time pressing all. And then, about ten seconds later, MBP booted by itself. I hope that's normal.

% nvram -c
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-computer-name: (iokit/common) not permitted
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-mobileme-token-FMM: (iokit/common) not permitted
    nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-mobileme-token-FMM-BridgeHasAccount: (iokit/common) not permitted
    I even tried with sudo.

FYI. No new incidents so far. I hope it stays that way! :)
    --
    :) NY! Let's hope 2022 will B betta than da last 2, but it's seems da same so far. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jan 4 07:10:27 2022

On Jan 3, 2022 at 7:16:59 PM PST, "Ant" <Ant> wrote:

I started having issues in the end of December with Catalina 11.6.2. Found >> some disk errors and that wouldn't clean so I did this:

Wait. Big Sur is v11.6. Catalina is v10.5.

Sorry--it was 11.6.2, but was indeed Big Sur.

Wiped the internal SSD.
    Reinstalled the OS.

Sadly the crashes I was having continued. I think they were related to
    external software and 3rd party software that were making "suddenly illegal" >> attempt to get to Keychain Access or some such. I don't know, but they were >> SecurityAgent related, so I called Apple, got a novice, who knew *nothing*, a
    rare occurence. She was quick to see I was behind on the OS, so she wouldn't >> bump me to 2nd tier and recommended I move to Monterrey and was glad to be >> done with me.

I was having some kind of issues a year or two ago, mostly with midi, audio >> recording and Logic Pro X; I forget the details. I got to 2nd tier support and
    they guy was really into home audio production so I learned a lot as we slowly
    went about addressing my issues. He recommended I reinstall the OS, which I >> was reluctant to do. He was really blithe about the whole thing, while I was >> generally nervous. He told me he reinstalled the OS frequently "every month or
    two", he said. What the hell for? It just keeps things neat and tidy.

Honestly. Since then I've run into a few inscrutable issues, reinstalled the >> OS and was surprised to see them vaporize.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From gtr@21:1/5 to youkidding@yahoo.com on Tue Jan 4 07:19:19 2022
    XPost: comp.sys.mac.portables, comp.sys.mac.system

On Jan 1, 2022 at 4:12:42 PM PST, "YK" <youkidding@yahoo.com> wrote:

On 12/31/21 9:10 PM, Ant wrote:

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes >>> after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still >>> connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up,

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours from its >>> idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard
    account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And then, it froze >>> hard right away.

trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. >>> Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external
    powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to reproduce this hard >>> lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it >>> had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and >>> rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its
    internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core >>> 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of
    3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big
    Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS
    VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank you >>> for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Have you tried:
    Resetting the SMC?
    Zapping the PRAM
    Reinstalling the OS?

Apple does phone support regardless of warranty date. The last 3 times I've called over the past 2 years were about a 2015 Macbook pro. I called once
    about my iPad and it was 4 years old at the time. They don't care. I've even talked to them about it. They say it's in their own interests to maintain loyalty to provide phone support for most anyone anytime. Still, I'd be
    polite.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From David Brooks@21:1/5 to gtr on Tue Jan 4 07:53:35 2022

On 04/01/2022 01:38, gtr wrote:
    On Jan 1, 2022 at 2:05:28 AM PST, "David Brooks" <David@geemail.invalid> wrote:

Hello.

Since 12/29/2021 afternoon PST, MacBook Pro (MBP) froze hard twice minutes >>>> after waking up.

First one was when MBP was asleep (lid closed) and moved (cables were still
    connected) from the desk due to cleaning the room. Opened its lid up,

Second one was about 30 minutes ago after MBP was asleep for hours from its
    idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard
    account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And then, it froze
    hard right away.

trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't respond. >>>> Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external >>>> powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to reproduce this hard
    lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it >>>> had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor from the outdoor cold weather and >>>> rain. Right now, I'm running Disk Utility app's first aid to see if its >>>> internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

2020 A2251 model (MWP62LL/A) MBP. It has Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core >>>> 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of >>>> 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big
    Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS >>>> VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse.

fix? I assume warranty extended since it was from 12/29/2020. :( Thank you >>>> for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

Remove the battery
    Insert the battery

Close, but I think the following was the intent. If not, consider it new recommendations:

Thank you! :-)

Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
    1. Shut down your Mac.
    2. Unplug the MagSafe from your computer.
    3. Using the built-in keyboard, press Shift-Control-Option on the left side of the keyboard, then press the power button. Hold these keys AND the power button for 10 seconds.
    4. Release all keys.
    5. Reconnect the power adapter.
    6. Press the power button again to boot.

Follow with this:

Start in safe mode:
    1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift
    key. The white Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
    2. Release the shift key when you see the login window. If your startup
    disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.
    3. To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during
    startup.

You've given splendid advice.

Well done! :-D

--
    I'm an iMac user myself!

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to Ant on Tue Jan 4 18:05:20 2022

On 2022-01-01, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
    Hello.

minutes after waking up.

lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and
    used it for a few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

from its idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't
    respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to
    reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is
    temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor
    from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk
    Utility app's first aid to see if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C
    Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's

You should give a detailed list of which USB (and other) devices are
    connected when the machine freezes. It's possible a driver related to
    one of those devices is experiencing issues when waking from sleep.

As others have mentioned already, regardless of warranty status, Apple
    support, will happily work with you for free over chat, phone, or in
    person at your local Apple retail store to resolve your issue. Just
    start here and follow the prompts: <https://support.apple.com/contact>

--
    E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter.
    I often ignore posts from Google. Use a real news client instead.

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to gtr on Tue Jan 4 21:08:23 2022

On Jan 3, 2022 at 7:16:59 PM PST, "Ant" <Ant> wrote:

Honestly. Since then I've run into a few inscrutable issues, reinstalled the
    OS and was surprised to see them vaporize.

I did. It didn't solve my issues. My basic punchline is that a clean OS reinstall isn't so fearful a thing, and that it can address a lot of issues. In fact, with my first attempt it did seem to knock down the errors I was getting but a lot. But not enough.

Ah. That's bad then. At least, you know it's not your datas causing the errors. --
    It's Spaghetti Day!
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Jolly Roger on Tue Jan 4 21:18:53 2022

In comp.sys.mac.portables Jolly Roger <jollyroger@pobox.com> wrote:
    On 2022-01-01, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
    Hello.

minutes after waking up.

lid up, relogged in the current standard(not admin)-level account, and
    used it for a few minutes. It was fine and then it froze hard.

from its idle time. Logged in just fine and then log out of this same standard account back to the login screen with multiple accounts. And

When MBP was frozen, its cursor (both external USB mouse and internal trackpad) and keyboard navigations (including LED lights) didn't
    respond. Closing and reopening lid, and disconnecting and reconnecting external powered USB devices didn't help at all. I even tried to
    reproduce this hard lock ups from what I remember. I doubt it is temperature related since it had been in the 60-70 degrees(F) indoor
    from the outdoor cold weather and rain. Right now, I'm running Disk
    Utility app's first aid to see if its internal 2 TB SSD is OK.

Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.6.2, etc. Using AUKEY USB C
    Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS VA27DQSB 27??? 1080P monitor's

You should give a detailed list of which USB (and other) devices are connected when the machine freezes. It's possible a driver related to

I did in my "Using AUKEY USB C Hub 12-in-1 Type C Adapter for ASUS
    VA27DQSB 27" 1080P monitor's HDMI and a very old MS USB mouse."
    Although, I forgot to mention the wireless AirPrint HP OfficeJet Pro
    8600 N911g.

As others have mentioned already, regardless of warranty status, Apple support, will happily work with you for free over chat, phone, or in

Thanks for the tip. If it does get worse and need to meet in person,
    then I will have to wait for its local stores to reopen thanks to the
    dang COVID-19 again. :(

Anyways, so far no new incidents. :)
    --
    It's Spaghetti Day!
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to Ant on Wed Jan 5 15:59:36 2022

On 2022-01-05, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:

Okay. I'm wondering if the HDMI adapter / display may be the cause when
    waking from sleep.

Have you tried pinging and connecting to the machine (with SSH, for
    instance) from another computer on the network when it is in this
    "frozen" state? What happens when you try?

8600 N911g.

I don't see how wireless devices would be related to a hard freeze.

If it happens again, I would immediately contact Apple support through
    phone or chat, and let them do some diagnostics remotely before bringing
    it into a store. Let them do their thing and then they can tell you the
    next steps to take. It's important to contact them while the computer is
    frozen to give them the best chance of diagnosing the issue. If they
    then tell you to bring it in, you'll have a case # already established
    with their notes for the next representative to look at in advance.

It's possible it was just a temporary thing...

--

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Jolly Roger on Wed Jan 5 17:38:49 2022

Okay. I'm wondering if the HDMI adapter / display may be the cause when waking from sleep.

Maybe? If I disconnect the whole AUSKEY hub during the lock up, wouldn't MBP come back to life?

Ooh, good idea. I will have to try that if it happens again after finding
    its DHCP IP address from the router.

8600 N911g.

I don't see how wireless devices would be related to a hard freeze.

Yeah me too when logged out all macOS user accounts.

If it happens again, I would immediately contact Apple support through
    phone or chat, and let them do some diagnostics remotely before bringing
    it into a store. Let them do their thing and then they can tell you the
    next steps to take. It's important to contact them while the computer is frozen to give them the best chance of diagnosing the issue. If they
    then tell you to bring it in, you'll have a case # already established
    with their notes for the next representative to look at in advance.

OK.

It's possible it was just a temporary thing...

I hope so! It's slightly over a year old. :/
    --
    2022 isn't any better and different so far. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to Ant on Thu Jan 6 14:50:22 2022

You should give a detailed list of which USB (and other) devices
    are connected when the machine freezes. It's possible a driver
    related to one of those devices is experiencing issues when waking
    from sleep.

Okay. I'm wondering if the HDMI adapter / display may be the cause
    when waking from sleep.

Maybe? If I disconnect the whole AUSKEY hub during the lock up,
    wouldn't MBP come back to life?

Not necessarily, no. It depends on the nature of the freeze.

Ooh, good idea. I will have to try that if it happens again after
    finding its DHCP IP address from the router.

I would, because it's possible it's not actually completely frozen,
    which would be a good thing to know for diagnostic purposes.

--

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Fri Jan 7 05:45:29 2022

I have no idea if this new symptom is related to the earlier/previous lock/freeze issue. I connected a year old 5 TB ext. USB HDD to AUSKEY
    hub to do a Time Machine back up into its encrypted APFS partition. It
    prompted me its password and failed so I had to re-enter it (used the touchbar's unlock button instead of enter key and mouse click), and then
    it never mounted. I tried to force mount it in macOS Big Sur v11.6.2's
    Disk Utilty app, but nothing. Not even an error.

I ran First Aid on the drive and its partitions (also have exFAT and old
    macOS extended journal (HFS+). No isssues. I disconnected and
    reconnected the drive for APFS partition. No password prompt this time
    even though the other Time Machine drive/partition did which was fine. I
    told Disk Utility to mount that same APFS drive/partition and then
    finally got an error -- "Could not mount ???APFS (Encrypted) Black Seagate HD???. (com.apple.DiskManagement.disenter error 49218.)". That's not good.

So, I decided to unplug the HDD with all drives unmounted again and
    rebooted. The shut down took like a minute and then finally rebooted by
    itself. I logged in and retried the external USB HDD with its APFS drive/partition. It worked fine this time. Hmm, weird/odd. I'm seeing
    lots of random (weir/od)ness these days! :(

Hello.

then it froze hard.

--
    So tired and achy even without COVID-19. Need more tree and hair cuts! 2022 isn't any better and different so far. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Mon Jan 31 14:31:02 2022

Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

1. Shut down your Mac.

Step #3 took a while to start up again after pressing all keys down for about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands, without thumbs, had a hard time pressing all. And then, about ten seconds later, MBP booted by itself. I hope that's normal.

% nvram -c
    I even tried with sudo.

MBP was doing well until this morning, and then it wouldn't wake up this morning after sleeping since late last night. And then, it powered on by
    itself when I clicked on its trackpad. After logging in, it restored
    previous sessions from the crash. :(
    --
    GG & go LA Rams! Dang tiredness, winds, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, life, etc. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Mon Jan 31 21:48:56 2022

Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

1. Shut down your Mac.

Step #3 took a while to start up again after pressing all keys down for about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands, without thumbs, had a hard time pressing all. And then, about ten seconds later, MBP booted by itself. I hope that's normal.

% nvram -c
    I even tried with sudo.

MBP was doing well until this morning, and then it wouldn't wake up this morning after sleeping since late last night. And then, it powered on by itself when I clicked on its trackpad. After logging in, it restored

Again, it wouldn't wake up correctly this evening like this morning. It
    powered on by itself with its Apple logo chime after I clicked on the
    old external USB mouse's button. After logging in back into the standard
    level account, Chrome said to restore previous sessions from the crash. I
    tried to reproduce it manually, but no luck. Its console's logs are
    confusing and so long. :( When I logged out and logged into the
    admin-level account, then I saw its crash report that popped up for me
    to to share to Apple and you guys: http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/MBP2020crashWhenWakingUp.txt.
    --
    GG & go LA Rams! Dang tiredness, winds, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, life, weather (winter again), etc. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Jolly Roger@21:1/5 to Ant on Tue Feb 1 06:07:43 2022

On 2022-02-01, Ant <ant@zimage.comANT> wrote:
    Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM >> > > first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got >> > > stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop >> > > background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still
    movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

Anyways, I continued on to reset VRAM from
    https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html's
    instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

1. Shut down your Mac.

Step #3 took a while to start up again after pressing all keys down for >> > > about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands,

% nvram -c
    I even tried with sudo.

MBP was doing well until this morning, and then it wouldn't wake up this
    morning after sleeping since late last night. And then, it powered on by
    itself when I clicked on its trackpad. After logging in, it restored

Again, it wouldn't wake up correctly this evening like this morning. It powered on by itself with its Apple logo chime after I clicked on the
    old external USB mouse's button. After logging in back into the standard level account, Chrome said to restore previous sessions from the crash. I tried to reproduce it manually, but no luck. Its console's logs are
    to to share to Apple and you guys: http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/MBP2020crashWhenWakingUp.txt.

I particularly like how you are doing everything you can to avoid
    contacting Apple while the computer is in this problem state, so as to
    avoid actually allowing anyone to diagnose and resolve the issue.
    Instead, you fumble around until it's up and running again, so that
    nobody on the planet can tell what was actually wrong. Good work, and
    may you continue to "struggle" so that you can endlessly complain
    without actually allowing anyone to help.

Mission accomplished! ; )

--

JR

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Tue Feb 1 04:26:50 2022

Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop
    background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still
    movable. And then, it finally shut down. Weird lag. I booted it up, logged in, and then retried its shutdown. No long lags (only a second).

instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

1. Shut down your Mac.

% nvram -c
    I even tried with sudo.

MBP was doing well until this morning, and then it wouldn't wake up this morning after sleeping since late last night. And then, it powered on by itself when I clicked on its trackpad. After logging in, it restored previous sessions from the crash. :(

Again, it wouldn't wake up correctly this evening like this morning. It powered on by itself with its Apple logo chime after I clicked on the
    old external USB mouse's button. After logging in back into the standard level account, Chrome said to restore previous sessions from the crash. I tried to reproduce it manually, but no luck. Its console's logs are

Part of http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/MBP2020consoleSystemLogCrashWhenWakingUp.txt
    from macOS Big Sur v11.6.3's console's system log.
    --
    :) CNY (h2o tiger) & Black History Mo. GG & go LA Rams! Dang tiredness, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, life, weather (winter again), etc. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Jolly Roger on Tue Feb 1 17:53:40 2022

I particularly like how you are doing everything you can to avoid
    contacting Apple while the computer is in this problem state, so as to
    avoid actually allowing anyone to diagnose and resolve the issue.

Apple's guy told me to try disabling macOS' power nap. I don't see how
    that will fix it, but we'll see. Also, I wasn't able to reproduce the
    symptoms after last night and before this idea.
    --
    :) (L/C)NY (h2o tiger) & Black History Mo. GG & go LA Rams! Dang tiredness, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, life, weather (winter again), etc. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Tue Feb 1 22:54:25 2022

Since it's still a slow weekend, I decided to try resetting MBP's NVRAM
    first. So I told its macOS Big Sur v11.6.2 to shut down MBP, but it got
    stuck during its shutdown for like a minute with admin account's desktop
    background (no icons and menu) for about a minute. Mouse cursor was still

instructions, I did:

"Intel Macs

1. Shut down your Mac.

about 20 seconds. I thought I messed up since my four fingers hands, without thumbs, had a hard time pressing all. And then, about ten seconds later, MBP booted by itself. I hope that's normal.

% nvram -c
    I even tried with sudo.

MBP was doing well until this morning, and then it wouldn't wake up this morning after sleeping since late last night. And then, it powered on by itself when I clicked on its trackpad. After logging in, it restored previous sessions from the crash. :(

old external USB mouse's button. After logging in back into the standard level account, Chrome said to restore previous sessions from the crash. I tried to reproduce it manually, but no luck. Its console's logs are confusing and so long. :( When I logged out and logged into the

Part of http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/MBP2020consoleSystemLogCrashWhenWakingUp.txt
    from macOS Big Sur v11.6.3's console's system log.

I updated the linked logs again with new datas due to another crash this evening (a pattern now it happens at evening PST?). Before that, I
    noticed lack of Messages screen saver before going to sleep. Or maybe I
    missed it. When I noticed MBP wasn't waking up, I disconnected external
    AUSKEY hub and then MBP powered up with its Apple logo and audio chime.
    I guess it's not the hub?

I also retried NVRAM and SMC hotkeys (hope I did them right since I have
    small hands with four fingers and no thumbs) to see if that helps again like last month.
    --
    :) (L/C)NY (h2o tiger) & Black History Mo. GG & go LA Rams! Dang tiredness, sickness, bodies, works, times, colony, nest, life, weather (winter again), etc. :(
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ant@21:1/5 to Ant on Tue Feb 1 22:49:06 2022

I particularly like how you are doing everything you can to avoid contacting Apple while the computer is in this problem state, so as to avoid actually allowing anyone to diagnose and resolve the issue.

Apple's guy told me to try disabling macOS' power nap. I don't see how
    that will fix it, but we'll see. Also, I wasn't able to reproduce the symptoms after last night and before this idea.

Nope, it happened again with disabled power nap. :(
    --
    | |o o| |
    \ _ /
    ( )

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05