• Tandy 6000

From star2doc@gmail.com@21:1/5 to Mike Y on Fri Jan 20 21:09:29 2017
    On Friday, October 14, 2011 at 9:15:21 AM UTC-4, Mike Y wrote:
    "Kelly Leavitt" <kb2syd@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2a9da160-62b0-435d-9b2c-394aaf0a6f3f@p1g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...
    On Oct 12, 3:49 pm, Ken <k...@kdcorp.us> wrote:
    Hello list,

I've done the obligatory googling and haven't been able to determine
    if a 6000 emulator exists out there.

So, does a 6000 emulator exist out there? Would be pretty awesome to
    fire up Xenix under one again. I have even found the install disk
    images for 3.2.

If not, is there still enough hardware, software and tech info to get
    a real system together and make a proper go at creating an emulator?

Let me know!
    Ken

I'm sure there is enough hardware, software and tech info to get it >running. I have heard that there are some issues emulating the
    interface between the 68000 and th z80 though.

Somone was working on a native model II emulator, but it seems to have >never been released.

Someone tried porting the model II to MESS, and I'm not sure how far
    that got.

Kelly

If you can get a Model II emulator up and running, then the 16 should be relatively easy. There were NO changes from the 2 to the 16 from the Model II perspective that couldn't and wouldn't be detected from the OS.

The other key to this would be the 68000 side. But that's pretty simple, as it communicated to the Z80 side via a 'window' in memory. The 68000 side
    was pretty simple. At least with the early machines, the only thing you'd have to handle would be the 'offset limit' registers that were essentially 'adders' to the address bus.

Overall though, you'd have to keep two 'threads' running in the emulator at all times. One thread that ran the 68000 board emulator, and the other that ran the Model II emulator for all the I/O. Both sides would be looking at the shared window. There's shouldn't be too much of a 'sync' issue, as
    there never were any issues that I was aware of about different speeds affecting things.

Later machines were quite enhanced beyond the original essentailly bare
    68000 board, but once you get the basic up, that could come later.

Mike

In the recent version of MAME that I have both the TRS-80 Model II and the Model 16 boot TRS-DOS. The Model II is marked as working but the Model 16 is marked as non-working.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)