• Troubleshooting TRS-80 Expansion Interface?

From raymond.day@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 15 05:53:42 2016
    After years I got my old TRS-80 down from the closet. What I remember it did not work. But when I got it down and plug it all back in with the 3 disk drives it worked and I booted up some old programs and games and bought back a lot of good memory's.

But reading some disk all the sudden it could not read one. I reset it and power on and off and with a disk or any other boot disk in the boot drive it just spins the head never moves now.

I clean the ribbon cable connections and plugs. At lest on the drive they are gold plated.

The TRS-80 still works. If I turn off the Expansion Interface it comes up with in put RAM.

It just says at the one junk screen on resets with a disk in the drive and spins it but never moves the head. I can move the head my hand and on a reset it parts to track 0 and never moves from there now.

Not sure what is wrong it was working. I guess it was like this when I put it away years ago. So with 20 years time it like fixed it self but now not working. It was working for like 2 days.

Any one know what I could do? I removed the RS232 board in it. Still no good.

May best guess maybe the RAM went back. I got a 48K Expansion Interface.

I hope some one can help.

-Raymond Day

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From raymond.day@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Sep 15 07:06:51 2016
    Wow I fixed it. On the boot drive I just had to clean the head of the drive. I guess that was what was wrong all these years.

-Raymond Day

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From George Phillips@21:1/5 to raymo...@gmail.com on Thu Sep 15 11:28:24 2016
    On Thursday, September 15, 2016 at 7:06:54 AM UTC-7, raymo...@gmail.com wrote:
    Wow I fixed it. On the boot drive I just had to clean the head of the drive. I guess that was what was wrong all these years.

Nice to see another TRS-80 still operational. I've heard the old disks can shed their magnetic oxide so perhaps that's what caused it to stop working.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05