• Re: Boot Failure Message

From Dennis Lee Bieber@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 15:01:20 2022
    On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:16:32 -0700 (PDT), Paul Biasella <prb359@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

I have a Tandy 1000EX that's been in storage for over 5 years. I bought some Tandy MS-DOS 5.25" floppy disks from a seller on eBay. When I insert his newly made boot disk in the internal 5.25" drive and turn on the computer, instead of booting up it
    displays the message "Boot Failure". The disk drive light turns on and it sounds like it's operating correctly. Do I need to clean the disk drive? Do I need a different boot disk? If I add an external floppy drive can I boot from that? Is my internal
    floppy drive defective?

I'd try to verify the contents of the floppies. According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000#1000_EX

"""
    The 1000 EX came with MS-DOS 2.11 and Personal Deskmate on 5.25" 360kB diskettes. The MS-DOS was a version specialized for and only bootable on
    the Tandy 1000; it included a version of BASICA (Microsoft's Advanced
    GW-BASIC) with support for the enhanced CGA graphics modes (a.k.a. Tandy Graphics or TGA) and three-voice sound hardware of the Tandy 1000.
    """

Note: "The MS-DOS was a version specialized for and only bootable on the
    Tandy 1000" sort of implies that the reverse is also true, and regular
    MS-DOS disks would not boot.

Otherwise, no help -- I've got a TRS-80 Model III/4 (upgraded main board, original housing/floppies/power-supply) in storage. Hasn't been
    powered up in over 20 years. Suspect I'd have to patch the OS for newer
    decades (the original OS only had three bits for the year offset), assuming
    the drive heads don't snap off as soon as the disk spins up.

--
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    wlfraed@ix.netcom.com http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Paul Biasella@21:1/5 to All on Mon Jul 4 11:16:32 2022
    I have a Tandy 1000EX that's been in storage for over 5 years. I bought some Tandy MS-DOS 5.25" floppy disks from a seller on eBay. When I insert his newly made boot disk in the internal 5.25" drive and turn on the computer, instead of booting up it
    displays the message "Boot Failure". The disk drive light turns on and it sounds like it's operating correctly. Do I need to clean the disk drive? Do I need a different boot disk? If I add an external floppy drive can I boot from that? Is my internal
    floppy drive defective?
    Have any of you had success with the internal IDE cards that go to 640K and have a flash card drive to boot from?

-Paul Biasella

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Ron Lauzon@21:4/137 to Paul Biasella on Tue Jul 5 06:10:57 2022
    sounds like it's operating correctly. Do I need to clean the disk drive? Do I need a different boot disk? If I add an external floppy drive can I boot from that? Is my internal
    floppy drive defective?

Yes, you need to clean the disk drive Sadly, you needed to do that
    **before** you put the good boot disks in. There's a possibility that the disks have been damaged by grit in the drive.

I don't know what drives are used for your floppy drives, but some of the
    early ones had belt driven drives. Over time, those belts turn into goo.
    The drive lights up and makes a sound, but won't work.

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A46 2020/03/02 (Windows/32)
    * Origin: 8-Bit Boyz BBS! -=[ bbs.8bitboyz.com port:6502 ]=- (21:4/137)
  • From Black Epyon@21:1/5 to Ron Lauzon on Tue Jul 5 06:22:24 2022
    On Tuesday, 5 July 2022 at 05:15:17 UTC-7, Ron Lauzon wrote:
    sounds like it's operating correctly. Do I need to clean the disk drive? Do I need a different boot disk? If I add an external floppy drive can I boot from that? Is my internal
    floppy drive defective?

Yes, you need to clean the disk drive Sadly, you needed to do that **before** you put the good boot disks in. There's a possibility that the disks have been damaged by grit in the drive.

I don't know what drives are used for your floppy drives, but some of the early ones had belt driven drives. Over time, those belts turn into goo.
    The drive lights up and makes a sound, but won't work.
    As far as I know, the EX can boot from any MS-DOS boot disk, so long as it's a 360K disk properly formatted with the appropriate system files. If you have a CF-IDE type card installed, you can install any version of DOS (5.0 is less memory intensive than
    6.2, so I'd go with that instead). Likely, either the drive just needs cleaning (IPA on a Q-tip usually works well enough), or if it happens to be one with a belt, that belt might need replacing.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Par Yer Rars@21:1/5 to wlfraed@ix.netcom.com on Fri Jul 8 19:40:17 2022
    On Mon, 04 Jul 2022 15:01:20 -0400, Dennis Lee Bieber
    <wlfraed@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

On Mon, 4 Jul 2022 11:16:32 -0700 (PDT), Paul Biasella <prb359@gmail.com> >declaimed the following:

floppy drive defective?

I'd try to verify the contents of the floppies. According to Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tandy_1000#1000_EX

"""
    The 1000 EX came with MS-DOS 2.11 and Personal Deskmate on 5.25" 360kB >diskettes. The MS-DOS was a version specialized for and only bootable on
    the Tandy 1000; it included a version of BASICA (Microsoft's Advanced >GW-BASIC) with support for the enhanced CGA graphics modes (a.k.a. Tandy >Graphics or TGA) and three-voice sound hardware of the Tandy 1000.
    """

Note: "The MS-DOS was a version specialized for and only bootable on the >Tandy 1000" sort of implies that the reverse is also true, and regular
    MS-DOS disks would not boot.

Otherwise, no help -- I've got a TRS-80 Model III/4 (upgraded main
    board, original housing/floppies/power-supply) in storage. Hasn't been >powered up in over 20 years. Suspect I'd have to patch the OS for newer >decades (the original OS only had three bits for the year offset), assuming >the drive heads don't snap off as soon as the disk spins up.
    Yes you should have cleaned and lubed the drive first.
    Yes the versions of MS DOS for Tandy were OEM configured
    (Video and KeyBoard related)
    The 1000 can run up to DOS 3.2 Tandy version, you can find various
    Tandy DOS versions at win world pc. No am not a member/contributer
    there but for free you should try there IF you can get your floppy
    working if those other disks do not work....

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05