• It's "Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!" (was Re: Mode

From colbath@precisehire.com@21:1/5 to All on Mon Feb 5 05:05:05 2018
    Hi Frank,

I thought this quote was related to you. I just made the same comment about the pending government shutdown.

I still have fond memories of working on the doomed VIS project.

-Mark C

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From micheledotey@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Wed Aug 29 18:07:16 2018
    At KSU in 1985 the lab used a VAX 11-780 and the OS was UNIX. The assignment was to write an AI application as an example of recursion. When my program crashed, the error message was "shut her down, Scotty, she's sucking mud." At first I thought a
    friend who wanted me to quit and go to dinner was playing a joke. Later I was told it was an error message UNIX generated when the condition was undefined. UNIX is a living language and it just told me someone had a nice sense of humor - something to
    laugh at before going back to the drawing board.

My first computer was a Tandy 2000 but without graphics or a hard drive so I didn't have the problems mentioned above. It let me code at home and sometimes compile to test before uploading to the VAX where it compiled, ran and printed the output for
    me to pick up when i got to the lab

My first job was Tandy Training and Support in Chicago and I think I got the job because I owned a 2000. After a year I transferred to N.E. Ohio and soon after the Support department was down sized and we were assigned to our store managers. Mine was
    an interior decorator.

A salesman would sell a toy computer and a suite of accounting software that the toy couldn't run, When I brought this to the attention of the sales manager who was my boss's boss, his reply was, "Make it work!"

I knew there was something fundamentally wrong with the company's ethics. After reading this thread, I know now it wasn't just the bean counters.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)