• uction: Lexmark IBM Model M M4-1 PS/2 KEYBOARD [Cairo, Egypt ]

From Louis Ohland@21:1/5 to All on Sat Jan 15 11:59:14 2022
    Tad bit rough. Missing mouse keys. Missing mouse stick.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125091472395

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Grant Taylor@21:1/5 to Louis Ohland on Sat Jan 15 11:45:12 2022
    On 1/15/22 10:59 AM, Louis Ohland wrote:
    Tad bit rough.

I'd call that more than a /tad/ /bit/ rough. Damage on (almost) all
    sides, missing parts, and in desperate need of cleaning.

Missing mouse keys. Missing mouse stick.

It looks like someone tried to disable the track point & buttons.

It looks like the track point stick -- as you call it -- is there, just
    missing the rubber cap. Thankfully those should be relatively easy to
    find. Of course that assumes the stock eraser point caps that fit on a Thinkpad will also fit this. The buttons, that's going to be a bit more
    work.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kali@21:1/5 to Grant Taylor on Sun Jan 16 13:09:35 2022
    On Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 18:45:10 UTC, Grant Taylor wrote:
    Tad bit rough.

It looks like the track point stick -- as you call it -- is there, just missing the rubber cap. Thankfully those should be relatively easy to
    find. Of course that assumes the stock eraser point caps that fit on a Thinkpad will also fit this. The buttons, that's going to be a bit more work.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die

Most IBM, Lenovo or Unicomp nub caps should work for M4-1s except maybe the modern low-profile ones from Lenovo. I can verify everything up to and including my ThinkPad W530's caps seem to fit M4-1s (as well as caps for the larger Model M13 keyboards and
    Unicomp EnduraPro), however, the classic smooth or "cat's tongue" dome ones fit best. The soft rim and soft dome ones should still fit, but they'll look a tad out of place (in my opinion, at least). Unicomp sells classic smooth caps $5 for three: https://
    www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/49G2224.

As for the mouse buttons: since Unicomp was making their version of the M4s until as late as 2010 (called the Unicomp Mighty Mouse), I inquired if they had any spare parts when I was researching for my article on M4/M4-1 keyboards last year - they can't
    make new parts for them nor do they believe they have many parts left over, but they'll potentially try looking for parts in their warehouse on a case by case basis. So, I guess someone could try your luck emailing them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Kevin Moonlight@21:1/5 to sharksi...@gmail.com on Sun Jan 16 15:21:32 2022
    I picked one of these M4-1's up last year for a reasonable price which seems more and more difficult these days, it in fact was in not terrible condition and has all the keys and types well but the trackpoint does not work. I replaced the crystal/
    oscillator and got some motion but only in one axis. It is on my list to one day make work. I am not sure what the failure mode is, but I have some thinkpad 230cs keyboards that the trackpoint suddenly stopped working as well.

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f1006988001

On Sunday, 16 January 2022 at 16:09:36 UTC-5, sharksi...@gmail.com wrote:
    On Saturday, 15 January 2022 at 18:45:10 UTC, Grant Taylor wrote:
    Tad bit rough.

It looks like the track point stick -- as you call it -- is there, just missing the rubber cap. Thankfully those should be relatively easy to find. Of course that assumes the stock eraser point caps that fit on a Thinkpad will also fit this. The buttons, that's going to be a bit more work.

--
    Grant. . . .
    unix || die
    Most IBM, Lenovo or Unicomp nub caps should work for M4-1s except maybe the modern low-profile ones from Lenovo. I can verify everything up to and including my ThinkPad W530's caps seem to fit M4-1s (as well as caps for the larger Model M13 keyboards
    and Unicomp EnduraPro), however, the classic smooth or "cat's tongue" dome ones fit best. The soft rim and soft dome ones should still fit, but they'll look a tad out of place (in my opinion, at least). Unicomp sells classic smooth caps $5 for three:
    https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/49G2224.

As for the mouse buttons: since Unicomp was making their version of the M4s until as late as 2010 (called the Unicomp Mighty Mouse), I inquired if they had any spare parts when I was researching for my article on M4/M4-1 keyboards last year - they can'
    t make new parts for them nor do they believe they have many parts left over, but they'll potentially try looking for parts in their warehouse on a case by case basis. So, I guess someone could try your luck emailing them.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05