• Reply TurboBoard 60/65/80 - Jumpers J14 and J9

From lharris428@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 18 21:22:22 2021
    So J9 and J14 are Ardent Tool are not documented for the Reply TurboBoard 60/65/80 and they aren't in the manual. I've been trying to figure out what they do by comparing against the PoweBoard and other Reply boards.

I can definitely confirm that J9, the three pin jumper is the bus clock. The pins aren't labeled so if you consider the top most pin, pin 1, then closing pins 1-2 is 33Mhz and pins 2-3 is 25Mhz.

This is screenshot of an 83Mhz Pentium OverDrive with it's bus clock running at 25Mhz with pins 2-3 shorted: https://imgur.com/a/fTrIegr

If anyone has any idea what J9 does, I'd like to know. Ardent Tool says "(audio related?)" but I don't know what that means. It's a 2 pin jumper and unshorting produces no noticeable affects.

I've been fiddling because I am having a hell of a time getting MIDI via the Adlib clone or the SnarkBarker to work on the Reply TurboBoard... almost sure there is a conflict with something, but I don't know how to determine what it is. In fact, when I
    run Speedsys with a SnarkBarker plugged in, it hangs on the address when it scans through the ports to determine system contents. Any ideas on how to further research this would be helpful and appreciated.

There is a section on Ardent Tool that I copied and pasted below about a possible base address conflict, but I am not able to figure out how to resolve it. You can't change that address on the sounds cards either.

https://ardent-tool.com/sound/Sound_Blaster.html#Passions_of_the_SBP_MCV -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Base Address Conflict

Some of the PS/2 systems may use the address range that conflict with the base addresses of the Sound Blaster Pro MCV. Should this happens on your system, please change the base address settings on your card.

Although our base address are set at 220H & 240H, the following addresses will be decoded. Please make sure that other cards do not make use of these addresses.

220 - 23F 240 - 25F 388 - 389
    620 - 63F 640 - 65F 788 - 789
    A20 - A37 A40 - A5F B88 - B89
    E20 - E37 E40 - E5F F88 - F89

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From lharris428@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Sat Dec 18 21:47:25 2021
    I keep forgetting that moving the card to another slot seems to help with MIDI, but I am not sure why. I do remember those days, but those brain cells have become mush as time marched on.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Louis Ohland@21:1/5 to lharr...@gmail.com on Sun Dec 19 06:31:43 2021
    It is possumble that the system configuration is having trouble
    assigning resources, and moving the Snarky card makes it configure
    first, or at least, earlier.

Meditation on the fixed resources of the Snark and looking at the Reply
    planar ADFs might reveal something. MIGHT.

On 12/18/2021 23:47, lharr...@gmail.com wrote:
    I keep forgetting that moving the card to another slot seems to help with MIDI, but I am not sure why. I do remember those days, but those brain cells have become mush as time marched on.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Tomas Slavotinek@21:1/5 to lharr...@gmail.com on Sun Dec 19 15:07:23 2021
    Thanks Lionel, I've updated the page with the J9 info.

"audio related" is just a guess based on its proximity to the PC speaker
    amp. Maybe it adjusts the amplification level? Or perhaps it disconnects
    the MCA AUDIO node? Dunno. Only way to find out I guess...

On 19.12.2021 6:22, lharr...@gmail.com wrote:
    So J9 and J14 are Ardent Tool are not documented for the Reply TurboBoard 60/65/80 and they aren't in the manual. I've been trying to figure out what they do by comparing against the PoweBoard and other Reply boards.

I can definitely confirm that J9, the three pin jumper is the bus clock. The pins aren't labeled so if you consider the top most pin, pin 1, then closing pins 1-2 is 33Mhz and pins 2-3 is 25Mhz.

This is screenshot of an 83Mhz Pentium OverDrive with it's bus clock running at 25Mhz with pins 2-3 shorted: https://imgur.com/a/fTrIegr

If anyone has any idea what J9 does, I'd like to know. Ardent Tool says "(audio related?)" but I don't know what that means. It's a 2 pin jumper and unshorting produces no noticeable affects.

I've been fiddling because I am having a hell of a time getting MIDI via the Adlib clone or the SnarkBarker to work on the Reply TurboBoard... almost sure there is a conflict with something, but I don't know how to determine what it is. In fact, when
    I run Speedsys with a SnarkBarker plugged in, it hangs on the address when it scans through the ports to determine system contents. Any ideas on how to further research this would be helpful and appreciated.

There is a section on Ardent Tool that I copied and pasted below about a possible base address conflict, but I am not able to figure out how to resolve it. You can't change that address on the sounds cards either.

https://ardent-tool.com/sound/Sound_Blaster.html#Passions_of_the_SBP_MCV -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Base Address Conflict

Some of the PS/2 systems may use the address range that conflict with the base addresses of the Sound Blaster Pro MCV. Should this happens on your system, please change the base address settings on your card.

Although our base address are set at 220H & 240H, the following addresses will be decoded. Please make sure that other cards do not make use of these addresses.

220 - 23F 240 - 25F 388 - 389
    620 - 63F 640 - 65F 788 - 789
    A20 - A37 A40 - A5F B88 - B89
    E20 - E37 E40 - E5F F88 - F89

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05