• ACE_Thread_Semaphore acquire doesnot work after some days.

From darvajkar.asif@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Thu Dec 15 22:00:44 2016
    Hi,

In my application I have 3 semaphores which waits till release is triggered in some other thread. Acquire and release of semaphore works as expected for some days and then always 3rd semaphore doesnot wait for release after acquire. The return value of
    acquire is 0. After restart of application everything starts working fine and after some days again the issue reappears.

Thanks,
    Asif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Johnny Willemsen@21:1/5 to Asif Darvajkar on Thu Dec 15 23:51:16 2016
    Hi,

We really lack details to help you. We do have a lot of users and I never heard a similar issue. Aren't you having some application problem? Are you able to attach a debugger to the hanging process and get stack traces at the moment it hangs?

Best regards,

Johnny Willemsen
    Remedy IT
    http://www.remedy.nl

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:00:45 AM UTC+1, Asif Darvajkar wrote:
    Hi,

In my application I have 3 semaphores which waits till release is triggered in some other thread. Acquire and release of semaphore works as expected for some days and then always 3rd semaphore doesnot wait for release after acquire. The return value of
    acquire is 0. After restart of application everything starts working fine and after some days again the issue reappears.

Thanks,
    Asif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From Asif Darvajkar@21:1/5 to Johnny Willemsen on Sat Dec 17 02:52:14 2016
    On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 1:21:19 PM UTC+5:30, Johnny Willemsen wrote:
    Hi,

We really lack details to help you. We do have a lot of users and I never heard a similar issue. Aren't you having some application problem? Are you able to attach a debugger to the hanging process and get stack traces at the moment it hangs?

Best regards,

Johnny Willemsen
    Remedy IT
    http://www.remedy.nl

On Friday, December 16, 2016 at 7:00:45 AM UTC+1, Asif Darvajkar wrote:
    Hi,

In my application I have 3 semaphores which waits till release is triggered in some other thread. Acquire and release of semaphore works as expected for some days and then always 3rd semaphore doesnot wait for release after acquire. The return value
    of acquire is 0. After restart of application everything starts working fine and after some days again the issue reappears.

Thanks,
    Asif

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply. I understand your point. This particular application which uses ACE_Thread_Semaphore is facing this issue in production/live environment. We cannot attach debugger to it. Only way is to add some debug statement to the application
    and share a sort black build to the customer to deploy it in their site.

Let me give you some more details on this issue. The application/daemon service sends command to other service and using ace semaphore it waits till the reply is received in receiver thread. So when reply is received, the receiver thread of the
    application releases the semaphore. This is working fine for most of the time. But after some time or days the problem starts. During fault time the application thread sends command but it is not waiting on the semaphore. This semaphore has a timeout of
    10 seconds. I checked the return value and it is 0. That means there was no timeout and semaphore was successful. But it is not waiting on the semaphore till it is released by receiver thread. I am suspecting some memory issue. But in that case the
    return value should be -1. But this is not the case.

This application has 2 more similar semaphore which is defined, declared and used in same way as this faulty semaphore. The other 2 are working as expected even in fault time. Issue is seen only with this 3rd semaphore.

One more interesting thing is that restarting of some other service in the system is solving the issue temporarily. That is the reason why I am suspecting some memory related issue.

Please give me some pointers and hin to debug this issue.

Thanks
    Asif

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05