• New lines when running an old .mws file

From William Unruh@21:1/5 to All on Fri Feb 23 07:31:48 2018
    I was used to using Maple 9.5 and was forced to use the later version (2016) due to
    bad bugs both in maple (the input line would get all messed up if I altered something near the beginning of the line) and in GRTensor. However the new maple is really
    annoying. If I load and old maple .mws file, and try to rerun the commands,
    the new version sticks in a new Maple line after every line I ran. The old maple would not insert new empty lines, but place itself on the next line in the .mws file. Thus if my .mws file had
    grtc();

qload(`2dconf`);

say as the first two lines, in maple 9.5 if I hit return on that first line,
    it would get executed and the cursor would rest on the second line. But in Maple 2016 if I hit return on the first line, a new input line would get inserted after it and the cursor would not rest on that new input line.

grtc();

qload(`2dconf`);

This means I cannot simply run through the first N entries just by hitting return, since that would simply land on the second empty input and each time I hit return I would get yet another empty input line

grtc();

qload(`2dconf`);

I hope this description is sufficient for someone to know what I am talking about and tell me how I can stop this dumb new behaviour. If I want a new
    input line, I can do it on purpose. I suspect there is some configuration I need to make the new behave like the old and familiar.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From William Unruh@21:1/5 to acer on Fri Feb 23 21:48:54 2018
    Thank you very much. I thought there might be some configuration option but could not find it. This was very helpful, including things I realise now I wanted but did not ask for.

On 2018-02-23, acer <maple@rogers.com> wrote:
    On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 2:31:49 AM UTC-5, William Unruh wrote:
    [deleted] If I load and old maple .mws file, and try to rerun the commands, >> the new version sticks in a new Maple line after every line I ran.

If you go to the GUI's options there is a related setting. For example, on MS-Windows or Linux you can go to the main menubar and choose,

Tools -> Options

and in the popup menu select the "Display" tab. There you should see a checkbox labeled "Always insert a new execution group after executing". Toggle it off. Then press the button "Apply Globally" to set it as the new default.

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

If you problem persists then you could try saving as a new .mw file (rather then .mws), Closing, and then Re-opening. I'm not sure whether that would be necessary, or would help.

By the way, as a user of Maple 9.5 you may be used to 1D plaintext input, and Worksheet format. You can set both of those as default preferences as well, which will cause File -> New to open new sheets more similar to the classic worksheet.

The first is under,
    Tools -> Options -> Display
    where there is a drop-menu item labeled "Input display". Set it to "Maple Notation" instead of "2-D Math Notation".

The second is under,
    Tools -> Options -> Interface
    where there is a drop-menu labeled "Default format for new worksheets". Set it to "Worksheet" instead of "Document".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From acer@21:1/5 to William Unruh on Fri Feb 23 13:16:26 2018
    On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 2:31:49 AM UTC-5, William Unruh wrote:
    [deleted] If I load and old maple .mws file, and try to rerun the commands, the new version sticks in a new Maple line after every line I ran.

If you go to the GUI's options there is a related setting. For example, on MS-Windows or Linux you can go to the main menubar and choose,

Tools -> Options

and in the popup menu select the "Display" tab. There you should see a checkbox labeled "Always insert a new execution group after executing". Toggle it off. Then press the button "Apply Globally" to set it as the new default.

Hopefully that will fix it for you.

If you problem persists then you could try saving as a new .mw file (rather then .mws), Closing, and then Re-opening. I'm not sure whether that would be necessary, or would help.

By the way, as a user of Maple 9.5 you may be used to 1D plaintext input, and Worksheet format. You can set both of those as default preferences as well, which will cause File -> New to open new sheets more similar to the classic worksheet.

The first is under,
    Tools -> Options -> Display
    where there is a drop-menu item labeled "Input display". Set it to "Maple Notation" instead of "2-D Math Notation".

The second is under,
    Tools -> Options -> Interface
    where there is a drop-menu labeled "Default format for new worksheets". Set it to "Worksheet" instead of "Document".

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05