• How best to code ranking data in spss

From ohanlonfergal@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Fri Jul 26 02:00:24 2019
    My questionnaire asks a user to choose their top three items (uses 3 drop downs where first drop down is first preference, second dropdown is second perference and third drop down is third preference). Each of the dropdown contains a list of 25 choices.

At the moment in spss they are 3 variables with the range of values from 1-25 (the choices in drop downs). So I can run descriptives, frequencies etc on these three variables.

I'm not sure if this is the right mechanism to store these i variables in spss?

For analysis of the data, would it be better to create 25 variables and where relevant add in 1,2,3 to the relevant choice preference from each participant.

If they didn’t choose choose variable what would you enter in, would you leave it empty? I can’t add a 999 value as it’s not missing data, the participant did not choose that variable to be 1st preference, 2nd preference and 3rd preference.

Is this a better approach for further analysis of the data and association with my ordinal dependent variable?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)