• PLINK (from PuTTy) Version conflict

From Kuasi Ellesius@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 07:45:05 2021
    Hello all,

I've taken over a project that's using SSH tunneling for connecting to a remote site and securing data traffic. For the tunnel, it is using PLINK from PuTTy.
    Investigating the current state of the project I made a disturbing discovery. I could not connect to the host with my current PuTTy / PLINK installation. My current installation features Version 0.75 of PuTTy and PLINK.
    After some investigation I found an older PLINK included in the project and tried that. With the older PLINK I could connect to the host without problems. I checked the version on the older PLINK and found it was Version 0.62.
    I'll include an edited session transcription (of the erroneous session) at the end of the mail.
    If it had been the other way around, I would just think that some problem was fixed and move along. Newer is better. At least that is often the case. But since the newer version was putting me into trouble I am wondering if I need to keep a copy of the
    older PLINK around to keep my project running or if there is a fix for the problem.
    I'll be happy to provide further input, if necessary.

Regards,
    Eleusius.

Session Transcription:
    PS C:\Users\cp\Documents\The-Project> plink -v -i .\xxxx.ppk User@Host.xyz.zyx -L 10022:127.0.0.1:22
    Looking up host "Host.xyz.zyx" for SSH connection
    Connecting to 123.123.123.123 port 22
    We claim version: SSH-2.0-PuTTY_Release_0.75
    Connected to 123.123.123.123
    Remote version: SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.6p1 Ubuntu-4ubuntu0.5
    Using SSH protocol version 2
    No GSSAPI security context available
    Doing ECDH key exchange with curve Curve25519 and hash SHA-256 (SHA-NI accelerated)
    Server also has ecdsa-sha2-nistp256/rsa-sha2-512/rsa-sha2-256/ssh-rsa host keys, but we don't know any of them
    Host key fingerprint is:
    ssh-ed25519 255 SHA256:iICrLtU+ARy772u+jKKs3nW14ObSz4VVpWf+zesgzI0
    Initialised AES-256 SDCTR (AES-NI accelerated) outbound encryption
    Initialised HMAC-SHA-256 (SHA-NI accelerated) outbound MAC algorithm Initialised AES-256 SDCTR (AES-NI accelerated) inbound encryption
    Initialised HMAC-SHA-256 (SHA-NI accelerated) inbound MAC algorithm
    Reading key file ".\xxxx.ppk"
    Using username "User".
    Offered public key
    Offer of public key accepted
    Authenticating with public key "BlahBlahBlah"
    FATAL ERROR: Out of memory

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From Kuasi Ellesius@21:1/5 to All on Tue Oct 12 07:52:25 2021
    Sorry for the quick post.
    I just realized there's an update of PUTTY and included tools to version 0.76 and it seems the problem is fixed.
    At least I can confirm that the latest version works for me.
    Thanks for reading.
    Eleusius.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)