• Using PuTTY 0.70 to connect to HP Integrity rx2660 MP console

From dthittner@gmail.com@21:1/5 to All on Tue Jun 23 11:36:04 2020
    Using PuTTY 0.70, when I try to connect to the HP rx2660 MP (remote control) port, I get a "Network error: software caused connection abort" message.

The server has the latest MP firmware from 2011, and is no longer supported by HP, so there's no possibility of getting a more up-to-date SSH server.

I also know that I can successfully connect to the MP port from an Ubuntu system using the following SSH -o parameters to modify the default SSH connection:

Kex: diffie-hellman-group1-sha1
    MACs: hmac-md5,hmac-sha1
    Ciphers: aes-128-cbc,3des-cbc
    HostKeyAlgorithms: ssh-rsa,ssh-des

I see diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 on the KEX tab, and can move it to the top. I see 3DES and AES on the Ciphers tab, and can move either to the top. I've also seen on the web that hmac-sha1 may be the actual required MAC. But I don't see where I can
    change/force the MAC and HostKeyAlgorithm.

How can I force PuTTY to use these modified SSH parameters to achieve a successful connection?

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
    * Origin: fsxNet Usenet Gateway (21:1/5)
  • From dthittner@gmail.com@21:1/5 to dthi...@gmail.com on Wed Jun 24 11:00:32 2020
    On Tuesday, June 23, 2020 at 2:36:06 PM UTC-4, dthi...@gmail.com wrote:
    Using PuTTY 0.70, when I try to connect to the HP rx2660 MP (remote control) port, I get a "Network error: software caused connection abort" message.

The problem with PuTTY 0.70 occurs using both the Linux(Ubuntu) and Windows versions.

The problem persists in PuTTY version 0.73. When I use [on Windows 10] 'plink -v' username@system to connect, I get a better error message: 'Remote side sent disconnect message type 11 (by application): " Client Disconnect "'.

Attachmate Reflection 2014 will cheerfully make this connection.

Windows 10 built-in SSH will not make the connection, stating that there is no common protocol.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
  • From bje@ripco.com@21:1/5 to dthittner@gmail.com on Thu Jun 25 11:07:18 2020
    dthittner@gmail.com wrote:

How can I force PuTTY to use these modified SSH parameters to achieve a successful connection?

I don't use windows or putty but putty (from the command line, don't know
    about the gui) has a -1 argument which forces it to the old ssh.v1, which
    might be the only ssh version that service monitor might understand.

I ran into this because we (ripco) still has a shell client available and
    one of the sshd upgrades got rid of the v1 compatability and some of the
    users were using an ancient version of putty. Getting them to upgrade was
    a pain in the ass enough but then some of them were also using another
    system that were stuck at v1 and the newer putty would give similar error messages and not connect.

So they used -1 to connect to those, without it to us.

Just passing it along.

-bruce
    bje@ripco.com

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05